Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
AF2 Travel Announced...

Thursday, April 1, Vice President Kamala Harris and Second Gentleman Douglas Emhoff will travel to Los Angeles, CA.
Monday, April 5, the Vice President will travel to Oakland, CA.
Tuesday, April 6, the Vice President will travel to Chicago, IL, and after she will return to Washington, DC.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
1235- Dusters are off again. Duster 1 left DOV (257.875) then headed west. Duster 2 off DOV (257.875) then w/Potomac (317.425) as also heads west.
Makes no sense but looks like DUSTER's headed back home towards Holloman.. Both into Kentucky for stop.
Come all the way out here and fly a few laps in area then depart? OK.
DUSTER2 Flight Tracking and History 31-Mar-2021 (KDOV-KSDF) - FlightAware

Rewinding this morning's visual flyby I was close.. They were doing 400+ coming North thru Delaware at 1500 feet
and were lower than I thought :) All the way to Reading KRDG and back. Must have been a fun 1 hour area flight.
DUSTER2 Flight Tracking and History 31-Mar-2021 (KDOV-KDOV) - FlightAware

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Nice catch today also Ron on the BENGAL-45 flight VMFA-224 with radio problems.. Heard them too.
Those F/18D models getting old.. Anyway added a new A/A for my rotation for them 258.400 as was searching band
while they were having com problems. :)

mdmonitor

Makes no sense but looks like DUSTER's headed back home towards Holloman.. Both into Kentucky for stop.

Rewinding this morning's visual flyby I was close.. They were doing 400+ coming North thru Delaware at 1500 feet
and were lower than I thought :) All the way to Reading KRDG and back. Must have been a fun 1 hour area flight.

Wonder what the reason was for their short visit? Must've caused havoc among the ATC controllers with those low level speed runs.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Wonder what the reason was for their short visit? Must've caused havoc among the ATC controllers with those low level speed runs.
Yes thanks to Airscan for following them while I was at work.. My guess Ron is that one of the pilots is from the Reading Pa area.
They flew two laps up that way..
Some Captains and Majors have have a lot of leeway planning long training flights to keep hours up and have seen this before so why not plan a roadtrip to your old Hometown area? Kill two birds with one long training flight and show off to Fam and friends below
Just my theory anyway.. They don't get much of an audience over their normal New Mexico tundra.
Maybe both pilots from around here.. First test flight was over Virginia area.
Rgr yeah low ATC controllers must have been What the ? Keeps them on their toes 400mph at 1500 feet :)
Luckily a overcast weekday with few Cessna types up and about.

Last edited:

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
Second one looked like the T tail section painted black.. Yeah prob doing 400+ easy..

DUSTER 2, 63-8187. Did it look like it still had it's WW2 paint job ?

I did a little reading on the 586 FLTS. Mentions their 3 AT-38Bs are "a deployable test asset for off-station customer requirements". It looks like on both days they were flying between very specific waypoints when they did their low altitude runs, so I'm thinking it was maybe more for some sort of planned test ?

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I did a little reading on the 586 FLTS. Mentions their 3 AT-38Bs are "a deployable test asset for off-station customer requirements". It looks like on both days they were flying between very specific waypoints when they did their low altitude runs, so I'm thinking it was maybe more for some sort of planned test ?
Its possible they were testing a tracking system for low level high speed aircraft in the Capitol region?
A few years ago they put up that radar dirigible balloon at Aberdeen Proving Ground that used VHF radar to see incoming aircraft.
Course it came loose in high winds and failed miserably.. Also caused annoying interference on our local Ham radio bands.
Maybe they have another idea how to track them hence the Dusters.. Prob find out someday in news article.

ADSBX is adding some new gear in Iraq for better coverage.
Tav ת 🔎 on Twitter: "Good news! The receiver has arrived and we'll set the central #Iraq|i ads-b station up, highly likely tomorrow. After the installation, coverage over Iraq would be both good and FREE for everyone who use @ADSBexchange. Once again, I really appreciate @ennolenze's amazing help ❤️" / Twitter

Last edited:

mdmonitor

In the POTUS home area nonetheless. Maybe some sort of awareness training for local ATC stns now that there are going to be alot of CAPs in that area.

mdmonitor

0845- T-bolts (F-22s 149th FS VA ANG) working ACM out in W386 (255.65 & 350.05).

0915- Couple of HMX-1 Nighthawks (no calls noted) working Wash Helo (134.35) & on discretes (277.175 & 318.9). One acft advises that they will land according to the exercise plan.

Last edited:

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
Playing the recordings back for Duster 1; Rdg called them on guard (121.5) probably sumulkeyed on 243.0; to tell them to first switch to 317.55; then told them to go to 323.1; probably on 243.0 as I didn't hear a reply on 121.5.

While that was going on PHL APR asked DUSTER 2 to try and contact DUSTER 1 to have them come up 323.1, which they did shortly after. So maybe used their A-A frequency, but probably to low for anyone to get it on tape ?

I was also listening to the morning mission from PHF on the 30th to maybe hear something that would give a clue as to what they were doing. When they called for their VFR flight following clearance they mentioned they would be operating between two waypoints and gave the lat/long coordinates but never mentioned what they were up to exactly. On the same flights you can also hear the Potomac Approach controller working them on the "KIAD Approach (South Arrival)" feed but nothing was revealed as to maybe give a clue to the purpose of their flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.