Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqhopping

Any idea why it's so rare to see fighters and bombers getting plotted by MLAT in the Northeast (very high concentration of receivers) ? For example why is this the first time we've seen a fighter in the CAP ? And why not the tankers after they have turned off their ADS-B ?

Because they're not using mode-S. Most tactical aircraft usually do not. They're using mode 3 aka A/C. Aviation transponder interrogation modes - Wikipedia

Tech792

Premium Subscriber
I've seen fighters show on the screen in previous CAPs a few times. But it is rare.

2030- two McGuire tankers trying to work through a boom problem, going through check lists on 139.875....I suspect its the 2 tankers going north over NY state
ALDIS 15 & 33. Starting to lose them now.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I've seen fighters show on the screen in previous CAPs a few times. But it is rare.

2030- two McGuire tankers trying to work through a boom problem, going through check lists on 139.875....I suspect its the 2 tankers going north over NY state
ALDIS 15 & 33. Starting to lose them now.
They switched to UHF freq. Nothing yet here. Was getting them full scale on 139.875
Up near Albany now

Attachments

• Clipboard-1.jpg
    Clipboard-1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 10

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
Because they're not using mode-S.

Okay I guess what I'm wondering then is why there are a few fighters and bombers that are using their mode-S on rare occasions ? I'm thinking maybe in some cases they have it selected on by mistake ? Like the B-52s on their show of force missions, well maybe in that case they do want it on for the PR, it just seems random ?

freqhopping

Okay I guess what I'm wondering then is why there are a few fighters and bombers that are using their mode-S on rare occasions ? I'm thinking maybe in some cases they have it selected on by mistake ? Like the B-52s on their show of force missions, well maybe in that case they do want it on for the PR, it just seems random ?

I don't know. Maybe they want friends, family, or crew to follow them sometimes? This guy today probably had his switch backwards. On when in the CAP, off when he was leaving.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
From yesterdays recordings; 134.1 RCH 582T, 20min out, A2, Crew oxygen quanity low, MCQ2 intermittent, fuel quanity probe 20 #2 tank inop. Didn't hear which CP they were calling.
277.35 Weak comms on Sierra Navada freq AM mode.
269.95 FM Satcom downlink, Spanish/Portugese "Ola, Ola, Ola,".

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what the Boom freq. the SWATH tankers are using in the CAP ? I don't hear it on freqhopping's feed.

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
They switched to UHF freq. Nothing yet here. Was getting them full scale on 139.875
Up near Albany now
Logged these guys last night on recordings. They switched to their A-A freq of 378.85*

0110-0156z 378.850 ALDIS 15+33 A-A. Finishing up with the refueling between these two. ALDIS 15 asking 33 if they needed to pass any info for their next AR with SHADOW 13 in AR-220 with a CT time of 0300z.

*This freq was confirmed by a Mid-Atlantic monitor as McGuire A-A. This was the first time it's been heard up here on my radios. Hope this helps.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Logged these guys last night on recordings. They switched to their A-A freq of 378.85*

0110-0156z 378.850 ALDIS 15+33 A-A. Finishing up with the refueling between these two. ALDIS 15 asking 33 if they needed to pass any info for their next AR with SHADOW 13 in AR-220 with a CT time of 0300z.

*This freq was confirmed by a Mid-Atlantic monitor as McGuire A-A. This was the first time it's been heard up here on my radios. Hope this helps.
Yes my radio went silent. Don't have that freq. thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.