Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Terry,

Thought I saw once (don't remember where) that they also used the TACAN freqs for close-in comms between acft & tanker during AAR.

Ron

Can plug in the following which are related to 92Y

92Y 114.55 MHz 1116 MHz 1053 MHz

Some additional information....note the first line

TACAN Limitations:

Cannot transmit voice
DME equipment is an integral part in providing slant range up to 399.9 NM with an accuracy of 2 miles or 3% of the distance, whichever is greater
Cone of confusion:
Exists where TACAN azimuth information is not available
The "cone" varies from 60° to 110° wide
TACAN DME and ID signal will be received and station passage will be noted by minimum DME
Although narrow at low altitudes, this "cone" expands to about 18 NM across at 30,000'
Because of the size of TACAN cone of confusion, holding on a TACAN will always be established using DME
Standard Service Volume applies (T, L, H stations):
SSV defines the interference free reception limits of unrestricted NAVAIDs, which are usable for random/unpublished route navigation
Reception may be possible beyond the ranges, however interference from other stations on the same frequencies may cause 40° off bearing lock-on
40° off bearing TACAN pointer lock-on error:
Locking on to multiples of 40° from the desired radial due to inherent operating functions of the older crystal controlled receivers
Solid-state electronics in the T-45C should preclude this problem from occurring
Re-channeling the receiver and tuning back to the original station may remedy the error
Failure to lock on:
Misalignment of equipment
Worn aircraft control box
Re-channeling the receiver and tuning from the opposite direction back to the original station may remedy the error
Co-channel interference:
Receiving signals (DME, azimuth, identifier) from more than one TACAN station due to the relationship between aircraft's high altitude and station locations

Terry

Attachments

• TACAN.JPG
    TACAN.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
0940- Nighthawk 2, 3, 4 & 8 ( 2 helos & 2 Ospreys) working on 143.825 (FM). Makes ref to 109.75. Female pilot refs Philly Departure 119.75.
Rgr Ron saw on TV Potus choppered the trip today. Must be the nice wx :)
1045 local ADVICE-05 already done with CAP. Short stint. ADVICE-06 taking over.

Couple of Navy B737 pax transports into Milwaukee Mitchell airport KMKE.
CNV 4030 165830
CNV 4967 168980 off the deck.
CNV4967 US Navy Air Logistics Office Flight Tracking and History - FlightAware

Last edited:

mdmonitor

Ron

Can plug in the following which are related to 92Y

92Y 114.55 MHz 1116 MHz 1053 MHz

Some additional information....note the first line

TACAN Limitations:

Cannot transmit voice
DME equipment is an integral part in providing slant range up to 399.9 NM with an accuracy of 2 miles or 3% of the distance, whichever is greater
Cone of confusion:
Exists where TACAN azimuth information is not available
The "cone" varies from 60° to 110° wide
TACAN DME and ID signal will be received and station passage will be noted by minimum DME
Although narrow at low altitudes, this "cone" expands to about 18 NM across at 30,000'
Because of the size of TACAN cone of confusion, holding on a TACAN will always be established using DME
Standard Service Volume applies (T, L, H stations):
SSV defines the interference free reception limits of unrestricted NAVAIDs, which are usable for random/unpublished route navigation
Reception may be possible beyond the ranges, however interference from other stations on the same frequencies may cause 40° off bearing lock-on
40° off bearing TACAN pointer lock-on error:
Locking on to multiples of 40° from the desired radial due to inherent operating functions of the older crystal controlled receivers
Solid-state electronics in the T-45C should preclude this problem from occurring
Re-channeling the receiver and tuning back to the original station may remedy the error
Failure to lock on:
Misalignment of equipment
Worn aircraft control box
Re-channeling the receiver and tuning from the opposite direction back to the original station may remedy the error
Co-channel interference:
Receiving signals (DME, azimuth, identifier) from more than one TACAN station due to the relationship between aircraft's high altitude and station locations

Terry
Terry

Thanks for that info & clearing that up for me. Geez, first time I've been wrong on something in my whole life :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Hearing A-10s A/A 271.450 talking about declaring an emergency.
"Straight in is runway 33" Raven flight holding at Swann to let us go first.
1107 COLT 01 flight on Pot apch 317.425 at 2,500 feet declaring a emergency.. armament problem.

Last edited:

mdmonitor

Hearing A-10s A/A 271.450 talking about declaring an emergency.
"Straight in is runway 33" Raven flight holding at Swann to let us go first.
1107 COLT 01 flight on Pot apch 317.425 at 2,500 feet declaring a emergency.. armament problem.
1111- Colt 1 working MTN tower (121.3) advising that Colt 2 has IFE and will be landing first on rnwy 33. Colt 1 seems somewhat agitated--wants to make sure there is no traffic between Colt flt & the rnwy.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
1003- HANK 42 flight of 2 out of Long Island, heading towards NYC on ADSB TIS-B. Now coming south over the East River. Hopefully come my way. Looks like they did a loop around the Statue of Liberty. Now coming south on the Hudson River. Not coming my way. Turning east towards Coney Island.
It doesn't say what type aircraft it is on ADS. Any info?

Mark

Premium Subscriber
1111- Colt 1 working MTN tower (121.3) advising that Colt 2 has IFE and will be landing first on rnwy 33. Colt 1 seems somewhat agitated--wants to make sure there is no traffic between Colt flt & the rnwy.
Rgr Ron 271.400.. oops. Yeah lot of local traffic including choppers. COLT 1 said earlier I guess declaring a emergency doesnt mean crap
anymore.
Fighters on 228.100 strong talking about being on the Eastern Shore. COLT flight had unsafe gun.
Sound like more A-10's waiting to get into Martin State.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know the plane he might be using for this visit?

On 3-5 October 2021, NATO Secretary General, Mr. Jens Stoltenberg, will have a working visit to Washington DC (USA). During the visit, Mr. Stoltenberg will meet with senior U.S. officials and lawmakers.

mdmonitor

When we get the HANK callsign up here in Maine it is almost always C-130s coming or going overseas with some stopping at Bangor overnight. Ron's list shows them as:
HANK C-130H 357Th AS Maxwell AFB AL

Hope this helps.
Guys,

News is that 357th is getting newer C-130H2s from NY ANG in Niagra Falls NY. NY unit is transitioning to KC-135s. Maybe this activity is related?

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
Had this guy pass through my area. After digging into some websites, he is a German Air Force C-160D from ETSI.

Albert's site has current information:
3E9F15 5086 GAFW16 2021-10-02 15:27:06 C-160D Germany GAF|WTD-61 [ETSI]

Confirmed he was German AF as I heard him check in with ZBW on 123.75 at FL220 "German Air Force Whiskey One Six"

freqhopping

Odd. Just heard LV-KBL on 126.15 while IVO Front Royal. I have that as Phillips AAF. But this guy with a foreign accent was reading back route clearance info. Eventually he was advised to go back to 128.525 which is where I got his ID.

I found 126.15 as clearance delivery for Winchester KOKV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.