Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqhopping

Living near Martin State I always see the C-17 when it's parked there overnight, since it was there last evening. Never saw it takeoff, since it leaves when I am at work, but did see in the this morning after I was already in the work truck.

Just wondering where the ones that visithere are based, since it's way to far to see any markings on it. Does it come from Dover? Maybe it's ANG from Martinsburg, WV.

This one was at Martin States today.

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
0130z I have a BLUE77 passing through Maine from Selfrige ANGB heading East at FL350. He's showing a "fake" HEX of: B1862A

Just turned on the radios to catch him on ATC.

Got him!
0144z 127.125 BLUE77 Heavy, check in with Moncton Center FL350.

My guess? a KC-135 to join the rest of the tankers that will be dragging the SJ F-15s back home this week.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Rgr checking tape and had RETRO-11 flight ZDC Salisbury 1400 local at FL260 6 miles front to back.
Earlier 1258 local HAWK-21 flight of two at FL360 with ZDC req FL400.. Road trip for sure..
From tape 1840 local HAWK-21 with ZDC UHF FL390 dropping to FL270 currently direct.
Guess the HAWKS came back.. short 5 hour round trip.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
AF1 visit to Kalamazoo, Michigan has been rescheduled to Friday, February 19. Guess they are concerned with the weather moving in.

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
Yes, very odd! I did catch him just now checking in with Moncton Center identified as, "Heavy". Most likely a KC135.

Appears to be 58-0129, got the flight on SATCOM using its regular hex code AE062A. I'm not sure what the deal is with these "fake" codes ? In this case why does it appear on ADSB-X but not SATCOM ? I have noticed a few other KC-135s using them on occasion.

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
Re: HAWK 01
Probably Mass ANG.. Have heard them before on road trips at high altitudes using HAWK callsign

I pulled up the KBAF LiveATC archives and did hear a HAWK 21 get clearance to KNBG, departed at 17:19 UTC. While looking for the HAWK flight I also came across SLAM 01 on a scramble exercise to intercept PATHFINDER 30 (RCAF CP-140 according to the database, which makes sense as they were cleared to CYQI/Yarmouth after the exercise was complete).

McRadioface

i dont see how you guys can monitor vhf with all the civil traffic also lol its hard enough catching callsigns on uhf for me

For real, I have milair around me 24/7 on a half dozen radios, and while I enjoy the total immersion, the context of the communications blows right by me, so it helps to come here and get closure on some of that. Like therapy ;)

mdmonitor

i dont see how you guys can monitor vhf with all the civil traffic also lol its hard enough catching callsigns on uhf for me

What I do is to use ADS-B Exchange to give me a picture of the air activity. Then, if I spot an interesting acft that I want to check out I then try to zero in on a specific ATC sector or an area. In my case I have two banks in my scanner for civil air. One covers the East Coast & Southern (MD/VA). The other bank holds freqs for the Northern & Western areas of my reception range. From my location outside Baltimore , depending on the aircraft's altitude, I can normally pick up aircraft as far as 150-175 miles away.

Over time it's fairly easy to narrow down which routes are usually used by milair and zero in those. This way I cut down on the number of ATC VHF freqs to listen to to pick out the milair.

For me the key is using ADS-B to pinpoint what I want to check out.

Last edited:

mdmonitor

Doesn't look like a good milair day for our area. My location is encrusted in a fairly thick layer of ice and more ice/freezing rain is forecast. It's days like these that I'm glad my antennas are in the attic ;)

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
Not fake, just a screw up of the octal programming of the transponder. In this case transposing the 3 and 4.

I notice that when it came up on the Europe side ADSB-X was showing it using the AE062A code again. So it seems to have changed mid flight. Is this "octal programming" something that can be done by maintenance, by the flight crew, or some sort of ADSB-X glitch ? Checking the history on that aircraft the last time I could find it using AE062A was back in March 2020.

freqhopping

I notice that when it came up on the Europe side ADSB-X was showing it using the AE062A code again. So it seems to have changed mid flight. Is this "octal programming" something that can be done by maintenance, by the flight crew, or some sort of ADSB-X glitch ? Checking the history on that aircraft the last time I could find it using AE062A was back in March 2020.

Anybody with access to the transponder can change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.