Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Wednesday, August 10, 2022
The President and the First Lady will travel to Kiawah Island, South Carolina for a week long vacation.
Wonder if the MA ANG F-15's will cover down there for an entire week?
Relocate to Langley or let some F-16's down that way cover.Find out Weds afternoon.

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
Seems one of the Crossbows developed Maint problem and still at Portland.
Main(e) man Micah (@Mainefly) / Twitter
Correct Mark. My son worked on the ramp today as the four ship headed home. He has some great pictures and videos from the past week while they were here. The fifth bird will be here for a little bit until fixed. Here's a picture of CROSSBOW 41 flight of four taxiing to runway 29 for their trip home. They used 225.7 for A-A captured on my recordings shortly after take off until out of range.

CROSSBOW 41 flight to home.jpg

Here's a screen capture from the video of them about to take off. Enjoy!

CROSSBOW 41 take off crop.jpg

krokus

Premium Subscriber
A FB group I participate in has a discussion about an airshow from 1980, at Willow Grove, started with a photo I thought this group would like. The Thunderbirds doing their routine, flying over the Blue Angels and the Snowbirds.

Attachments

• 297371886_5484981238232528_3932154687692339573_n.jpg
    297371886_5484981238232528_3932154687692339573_n.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 19

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
21-0024 is at Raleigh-Durham Airport in North Carolina right now. Today's callsign sounded like RINK 51.

This morning at Portland, Maine (KPWM) my son saw him taxi to the runway as if to take off. He did two full power ups and then back to idle where he then went back to his ramp. Later on, he finally took off. Here's a couple pics of him taxiing and a crop showing the reg number.

21-0024 taxi.jpg

Crop for reg number

21-0024 crop.jpg

wbagley

Premium Subscriber
This morning at Portland, Maine (KPWM) my son saw him taxi to the runway as if to take off. He did two full power ups and then back to idle where he then went back to his ramp. Later on, he finally took off. Here's a couple pics of him taxiing and a crop showing the reg number.

Crop for reg number

Wow, thanks!

Unlike many piston engines, jet engines do not normally do a runup before takeoff (except in icing conditions, which was not the case today). Sounds like perhaps there was a maintenance issue like a bleed air leak or faulty oil pressure sensor that was fixed and needed to be tested and signed off before the aircraft was released for flight.

That stinger on the top of the vertical tail catches my eye. Is it a sensor of some sort?

21-0024 taxi edit (Custom).jpg

Last edited:

vgames15

Premium Subscriber
Wow, thanks!

Unlike many piston engines, jet engines do not normally do a runup before takeoff (except in icing conditions, which was not the case today). Sounds like perhaps there was a maintenance issue like a bleed air leak or faulty oil pressure sensor that was fixed and needed to be tested and signed off before the aircraft was released for flight.

That stinger on the top of the vertical tail catches my eye. Is it a sensor of some sort?

View attachment 125698
From my experience with corporate jets that looks like a SATCOM antenna

GriffissSpotter

Viper airspace active 1030-1600 local time and the Fort Drum ranges active 1030-1145 local time today.
1037 - I’ve got someone coming up to the Viper Airspace/Fort Drum ranges, still trying to figure out who it is.
1043 - SATAN 21 flight checking in to ZBW 323.000 at FL280.
1053 - DEVIL 11 flight checking on ZBW 323.000 looking for the restricted areas.

Last edited:

DannyM86

Premium Subscriber
Correct Mark. My son worked on the ramp today as the four ship headed home. He has some great pictures and videos from the past week while they were here. The fifth bird will be here for a little bit until fixed. Here's a picture of CROSSBOW 41 flight of four taxiing to runway 29 for their trip home. They used 225.7 for A-A captured on my recordings shortly after take off until out of range.

View attachment 125692

Here's a screen capture from the video of them about to take off. Enjoy!

View attachment 125693
CROSSBOW11? landed at Skyhaven airport in Rochester Friday. Hex AE6463 Reg 168691.

Attachments

• 20220804_124523.jpg
    20220804_124523.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

wbagley

Premium Subscriber
A bizarre fatal accident near Fayetteville, NC on Friday involving a CASA-212 transport with a civil registration using a SpecOps-sounding callsign of SHADY 02.

My guess, the copilot tried to open the right crew entry door to visually check the damage to the landing gear and fell out of the plane. Edited audio from LiveATC posted below.

Man Falls From Cargo Plane After Botched Landing Near Fort Bragg In Bizarre Incident (thedrive.com)

Pilot dies after exiting plane midair before emergency landing at RDU :: WRAL.com

More in a part of the RDU Approach recording that was apparently removed from the LiveATC archive, I've posted an edited clip below. This clip is of unknown provenance but the controller does sound like the guy who made the 911 call to EMS.

From an article linked below in The Drive:

Pilot (P): "Raleigh Approach, Shady 02."

Raleigh Approach (RA): "Shady 02, Raleigh"

P: "My co-pilot just ran out the back of the plane."

RA: "Shady 02, what now?"

P: "He just ran out the back of the plane."

RA: "So you don't have a co-pilot on you, sir?"

P: "No, he just jumped out the back of the plane."

RA: "Uh, roger."

P: "Would you like me to circle where he leapt at?"

RA: "Uh, say that again?"

P: "Would you like me to circle where he got out at, or you got me on track?"

RA: "We've still got you on track, but did you need something else?"

P: "No, the dude literally jumped out the back of the plane without a parachute."

*Seven seconds of total silence*

RA: "Shady 02, did you need to do something else, circle or something, or-"

P: "No, I need to land. I'm just making you aware you're gonna have a dead body out where I just called you at. He just jumped out the back of the plane."

RA: "Roger, continue on your heading 0-5-0."

P: "Roger, 0-5-0, 0-2."

"My Copilot Just Ran Out The Back Of The Plane"- Chilling Audio From Aerial Incident Near Fort Bragg (thedrive.com)

Attachments

• SHADY 02 RDU Approach Copilot Jumped 2.zip
    500.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.