Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
C-17 units don't "deploy" in the way we usually think of it, especially ANG/AFRC. Typically, some of the squadron airmen will be reassigned to an expeditionary squadron. The jets have such long legs that they fly direct from their home bases.

If ( a big if) I understood it right, the (heavier) airlifters would go on two week (or so) "trips" overseas, they would get the mandatory crew rest, but most of the time they were doing aircrew stuff. To the point that they really did need to use UTC rather than work with whatever local time they were in (for the few hours they would be there).

Thanks
Joel

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I see 99-0004 appears to be heading back to Andrews after several months at L-3 in Tx. Using callsign SAM449. Reminds me that yesterday all three available C-32s from 1st AS were operationally active yesterday flying SecState, FLOTUS and VP. They’re probably eager to get another plane in service.
Must be tough on the 89AW doing regular business and campaign season stuff.
Prob maxed out on the aircraft and pilots :)

Vid of 82nd Airborne doing gear drops. At the 45 second mark the one chute doesn't open correctly.
Thankfully just cargo but probably damaged,buried cargo LOL.
DVIDS - Video - 82nd Airborne Division Heavy Drop (dvidshub.net)

Last edited:

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
VISIT TO NAS PATUXENT RIVER TODAY

I have to say, I should have brought my programming computer with me, as I messed up the programming on one radio (996P2) so I could not monitor any UHF freqs while hear. What a disappointment after a 90 minute drive down here! I will never do that again!

For base ops I programmed my 536 with the Joint National Capital Region for St Mary's County, and I have heard NO transmissions on Fire or Police talkgroups. I did hear quite a few transmissions on talkgroup 22117, Tower.

Freqs 120.050 (app/dep West), 120.600 (ground), 123.700 (tower) and 127.950 (app/dep West) are very busy.

What I saw and verified on ADSb Exchange:
N133DV, a CT-133 Shooting Star, callsign Tester 133, landed very shortly after I got here. I was confused at first because of the civilian registration!

166511, a KC-130J Hercules, callsign Score 57, was already in the air when I arrived here, He's been flying racetrack patterns over Bloodsworth Island. He then did several touch and goes before landing a few minutes ago.

162013, a TH-57C Sea Ranger, callsign VVHX013 showing on ADSb Exchange, but all he or the tower ever used over the air was "013". He took off from Pax River, flew up north of Leonardtown, then went down to Webster OLF, landed for a bit (he specified "landed in the grass") then took off and went back to Pax River.

Tomorrow I plan to do the Pax River Aviation Museum, after I see what I can hear in the morning. I'll post again tomorrow night.....

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.