Sticky Thread for MilAir II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cas08832

to tinear and ka3jjz: are all of your posted times in 12hour standard gmt? they are very interesting and helpful for locating operating frequencies. tnxs.

TinEar

cas08832 said:
to tinear and ka3jjz: are all of your posted times in 12hour standard gmt? they are very interesting and helpful for locating operating frequencies. tnxs.

My log entries are all posted with local times on a 24 hour clock....Eastern Standard Time....they are generally posted in real time as the transmissions are being heard.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
12 hour standard GMT? I'm not sure what you mean, since GMT - more correctly UTC - is a 24 hour system. But I try - not always successfully - to stick to EST. It's a little clearer for us non-military folks. Most hams understand UTC as well, but not everyone here is a ham.

73s Mike

cas08832

for ka3jjz: i might have not addressed my question the right way. here i go again. above your answer to me on the left side of the box it is shown "today, 01:00am"
what time is that representing?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I suspect you have set yourself up with your board defaults with a different time zone. It shouldn't say today at 1am, since by UT, the correct time would be 0100 UT (assuming you are in the Eastern time zone in the US) but should show the next day. In any event, it's the time the board recorded my response.

73s Mike

Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
ka3jjz said:
I suspect you have set yourself up with your board defaults with a different time zone. It shouldn't say today at 1am, since by UT, the correct time would be 0100 UT (assuming you are in the Eastern time zone in the US) but should show the next day.

73s Mike

I was just about to type an answer. The time zone setting you choose under the board options will change what time is displayed on each message. When I set the time to GMT, the time displayed on the message in question was 0100. When I changed it back to Eastern Time, the time displayed was GMT -5 which would be when Mike made the post (8 PM EST). Of course, it's all relative....

Ben

Mark

Premium Subscriber
0608z 0108 local
Currently listening to ETHYL 71 KC-10 #86-0030 McGuire refueling
REACH 272 C-17 #01-0193 437th AW on AR-20 primary 341.750.
Also with ATC 125.650 ZNY-Boston? Pilot mentioned we are between sectors.

Boom op admits,"first time doing a C-17 at night".
Having trouble hooking up.."20feet-10,nope back down again etc..
Turning again and will try again...
REACH 272 req 100k fuel.

Mark

Last edited:

BM82557

Non-voice transmissions

Reviewed the overnight recordings and found periodic activity on 138.000 starting at 03:11 local. Sounds like some sort of data transmission. I heard the same thing from time to time on the same freq during the Guard Dog caps of Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's not local interference as the only time I hear it is during caps. Last transmission I copied from my location was at 08:56. Has anyone else noticed it?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Speaking of the CAPs it seems all is quiet - not hearing much of anything, tho Radiomax has been scanning since 9 this morning. Perhaps the low ceiling and later threat of rain is keeping them out.

Happy new year all 73s Mike

TinEar

I believe the current CAP will only be active during times President Ford's casket is moved and for any outdoor ceremonies involving President Bush during the mourning period.

Heard a HOOK 75 at 1300 going into McGuire AFB. He identified as a C-21 that would do multiple approaches and land on time at 2000Z (1500 local). He was 25 minutes out from McGuire when he gave the report. Said he'd need 2000 pounds of fuel after landing, oxygen service if it's available and will RON....319.4
I have HOOK listed several times in various callsign databases but none of them for a C-21.

1429: REACH 708T calling McGuire Command Post...x2, no joy...319.4
1440: REACH 708T trying again to contact McGuire...does and gives arrival message...20 minutes out, is A-1, 2 pallets to offload, needs fleet service for lavatories and crew bus...319.4

1704: Chat on AR-636 primary freq...238.9
1707: EVAC 33115 to Griffin Command with arrival message...20 minutes out, 21 litter patients, 17 ambulatory patients, 1 pallet, status A-1, needs parking spot...378.1...adds that he can take outbound pax.

Reasons #2 and #3 why I don't like the BC780XLT compared to the BC785D:
2. The bank and channel numbers on the 780 are next to impossible to see with older eyes. Not that important unless you're trying to turn on/off various banks or change from one specific channel to another. Main display lines not nearly as dark and readable as on the 785.
3.The squelch control on the 780 is slow to respond to changes - the 785 is immediate. The 780 leaves a longer squelch trail than the 785 when set very tight (close) to being open.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Rgr that Tin and and my New Years wish is that we get less of those C-17 Evacs into Andrews..Heartbreaking to hear them all the time like we do..

Otherwise keep em Flyin and Happy New Year!

Mark

TinEar

I'm with you on that wish for fewer EVAC aircraft coming home Mark. You know, each time I hear one, it's not just a bunch of numbers when they list the litter and ambulatory patients on board. It makes me think of the guys on those flights - the live human beings that are in pain both physically and emotionally and have given so much. They're part of that group from every generation over the history of our country that have taken up arms and put their lives on the line for the rest of us. I know many on this forum have prior or current military service and have made their own contributions. I spent 22 years in the military and feel a bond with the guys on those planes. They're just the younger members of my family. They'll never just be statistics. And they'll sure as hell never be just some editor's evidence for opposing the war. The wounded on those planes are the true heroes.

ScanManQSL

QTH: Montgomery County, MD / Washington, DC
TinEar said:
I believe the current CAP will only be active during times President Ford's casket is moved and for any outdoor ceremonies involving President Bush during the mourning period.

Looking a year ago, There was CAP up for NYC. As of right now, (23:17hrs) Huntress is quiet for DC.

Milair 1 on Page 65
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15095&page=65&highlight=CAP

Edit: This is probabally my last post for 2006. I want to say HAPPY NEW YEAR! Hope everyone has a great 2007 and let it be better then 2006. I'll do a Virtual toast.

Last edited:

TinEar

ScanManQSL said:
Looking a year ago, There was CAP up for NYC. As of right now, (23:17hrs) Huntress is quiet for DC.

Milair 1 on Page 65
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15095&page=65&highlight=CAP

Yes, they sure did Ben. It was a two hour CAP from 2300-0100 on New Year's Eve over NYC. The NJ-ANG had the duty. Never did figure out why they ran that CAP unless perhaps there was some intelligence in the works about a possible ?????.

As you said, nothing tonight so far.

Alan

TinEar

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!!

Not even sure why I turned a scanner on today since I'm not expecting anything. However...

1430-1441: Hearing a REACH 652 talking to an ETHYL 09 (KC-10A McGuire) tanker about meeting up for a refueling IP over Nantucket. REACH 652 is not sure of his arrival time but "will get there as quickly as possible." The strange thing about this activity is that it's on the CT-ANG Shark Ops freq of 349.7. About a week ago I also heard something on this freq that sounded like a refueling op. I'm not sure if this is a new use of this freq or just why they're using it for an AR operation.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
TinEar said:
HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!!

1430-1441: Hearing a REACH 652 talking to an ETHYL 09 (KC-10A McGuire) tanker about meeting up for a refueling IP over Nantucket. REACH 652 is not sure of his arrival time but "will get there as quickly as possible." The strange thing about this activity is that it's on the CT-ANG Shark Ops freq of 349.7. About a week ago I also heard something on this freq that sounded like a refueling op. I'm not sure if this is a new use of this freq or just why they're using it for an AR operation.

Happy New Year also Tin..
I saw post today about AR-20 up in the Northeast area.
Last week I heard AR traffic on 341.750 which is AR-20 primary.
Secondary freq for that track is 349.700
Also listed as secondary is 305.500 and 265.650
Thanks to Ed in Maine for those secondaries..

Mark

TinEar

Mark said:
Happy New Year also Tin..
I saw post today about AR-20 up in the Northeast area.
Last week I heard AR traffic on 341.750 which is AR-20 primary.
Secondary freq for that track is 349.700
Also listed as secondary is 305.500 and 265.650
Thanks to Ed in Maine for those secondaries..

Mark

Thanks Mark. Yup...I got those messages from Ed/Ken/Greg/Jim also about the 349.7 freq. All I had to do was check my AR freq list but got thrown off by the Shark Ops display for that freq on the scanner. I should probably change it and move it to the AR bank since that's mostly what I'll hear there. I've only heard Shark Ops once I think since first programming it.

Not much at all moving around today....heard a REACH 0533 with an arrival message to Dover CP on 349.4 at 1638 and just heard a SAM 1015 takeoff message from Dover - also on 349.4. He reported one pax and a late takeoff for maintenance reasons. That's it. Listening to the PD/EMS helos on 123.025 talk about lousy visibility which tells you how busy it is today...or isn't.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
TinEar said:
. I should probably change it and move it to the AR bank since that's mostly what I'll hear there.

That sounds like my New Years resolution.Re-arrange my banks on scanners to
get things in better order.I got stuff all over in wrong places..

REACH 7032 C-5 and REACH 230 arriving Dover now..
VHF coming in great tonite...

Mark

TinEar

Mark said:
That sounds like my New Years resolution.Re-arrange my banks on scanners to
get things in better order.I got stuff all over in wrong places..

REACH 7032 C-5 and REACH 230 arriving Dover now..
VHF coming in great tonite...

Mark

Yes, I'm overdue for some bank swapping and some additions. Uh-huh...New Year resolution. Maybe next week.:roll:

Also heard the REACH 7032 along with REACH 486 going into Dover and REACH 5338 reporting his takeoff from there. REACH 3119 and a U/I into Andrews. The U/I is going to be an outbound EVAC aircraft. Agree that conditions are good today. It's just too bad it's not a normal flying day.

And now...back to football.

Status
Not open for further replies.