Sticky Thread for MilAir

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinEar

AM.

The BULLY flight is much more active now. The reason the ANGRY flight sounded muffled is because they were chasing down around 3000 feet.

BULLY is flying against simulated anti-aircraft positions and SAM missiles. Very interesting.

And now a flight from the NJ-ANG up on 138.05.

AIREDALE is an airborne command post for the BULLY flight.
Next target for BULLY flight is a MiG-29 flying at 32,000 feet.

md_p97

Premium Subscriber
WOW....Mig-29's and Triple A's..... I think I'll order dinner in tonight...

Pit Bull is new to me....is that the same as Bully?

And did you find out who Airdale was?

P

TinEar

Other than traffic references, I have nothing on AIREDALE other than what I stated above - an airborne command post/controller but I don't know what type aircraft he is. I entered the callsign in my list just with that info.

I'm not sure about "pitbull." I've heard that term used many times but don't believe it's a callsign. It seems to be something in the progression of an attack that happens on one of their screens. Just a guess.

ANGRY flight is still operating on 143.15...just gave "push victor 1" which changes them to 139.90 which is now where they are. They are also talking about using "secure" voice.

TinEar

Not MilAir but military...
For those of you that do not get the messages from Scan-DC, I thought some might be interested in this post and picture from Andrew Leyden. This is his posting and URL to a picture he took of this stealth boat: (The URL to the raw image is by far the better of the two images.)

[Edit] The first URL below the story has been edited and now includes closeup pictures of the boat. It turned out to not be quite as large as his first estimates..

This is a weird one.

What can only be described as a stealth PT boat has just gone past my house and is now near the radar testing range of the Navy Research Lab at Chesapeake Beach. It's about 150 feet long, and probably not more than 8 feet high (the cockpit looks like one of those high speed racing boats). It's about 2000 yards offshore and is pretty hard to see. It's doing 90 degree turns to give different profiles to the radars.

Yes, I did get a picture of it. It's a bit far off though. I used my film camera to get a better one (bigger lens) but this digital posted here will have to do for now until I get that developed.

http://www.penguinsix.com/blog/

Raw image here (big file):

http://www.penguinsix.com/images/stealth.jpg

Andrew Leyden
CEO, PenguinRadio

TinEar

DC-ANG up on 143.15 (BULLY)
VA-ANG up on 139.625 (no callsign heard yet)
NJ-ANG up on 237.2 (Kiowa Range)

BULLY 3 heading back to Andrews at 10:11 - clears out of BayWatch area on 354.80...rest of the BULLY flight is still working.

TinEar

Flight of RAVEN A-10 aircraft from the MD-ANG at Martin State are up in the Patuxent River area working with controller BayWatch and with what I think is another A-10 from the MA-ANG, using callsign PYTHON, acting as the "bandit."

TinEar

Somehow Paul, I don't think that's the same AIREDALE that we heard but I love it. Some of those aviator nicknames are hilarious, especially when you know how they came about - usually in relation to the last name of the person. Like the one with the last name of Cummins. His pilot nick is Cider. Sometimes you have to stop and think about them for a minute before you get the AHA!

TinEar

Flight of F-16s from the DC-ANG working. Started on 139.90, then 127.275 and now operational on 139. 35. They are using callsign BULLY.

[Edit] 14:00 BULLY leader tells his wingman to "push U15 and check for our range time." Button U15 on their radios is 237.2, the Kiowa Range freq so I guess that's where they're going. They are also checking in with Washington ARTCC on "Uniform 17" (323.0).

md_p97

Premium Subscriber
Overheard one traffic pilot telling another that there will be some type of Drill at Andrews AFB tonight around 6:45pm....Just thought I would pass a heads up to those in the area.

P

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A little additional; the May 2005 edition of MT had these other 'Blue' freqs for the Customs and Border Protection bureau (as you might guess, part of the DHS);

Blue 2 303.825
Blue 3 336.600
Blue 4 254.200
Blue 5 234.600
Blue 6 ?
Blue 7 238.400
Blue 8 387.800
Blue 9 361.800

73s Mike

TinEar

We've got some C-130J aircraft from Martin State (CRAB 51 & 53) tooling around the area tonight. Also have Phillips and Weide AAF working.

freqhopping

md_p97 said:
For anyone keeping notes.....GOTO or Press "Blue 1" is 282.425 am. I'm thinking "Bluegrass" Tower is either Bowling or the Pentagon.

Bluegrass is Mt. Weather. See my previous posts. I saw Omaha-3 and -4 enroute and returning from there yesterday afternoon/evening. They returned sooner than planned because there were storms in the area. Shortly after passing Leesburg is when they came up on 282.425. An hour or two prior to that I saw a Mussell flight of a CH-53 and CH-46 heading out there also.

TinEar

Thanks freqhopping for that info. It's appreciated.

NJ-ANG up this morning - heard on 138.125 and 138.425 (squadron tac freqs). Believe they are working the VA Capes with GIANT KILLER on 373.10 and 391.20.

There are also two flights of three aircraft each from Langley working the GIANT KILLER area. One of those flights is F-15s using callsign RECAP.
And another flight of fighters in the Patuxent River area working with WATERBUG 808 from the Naval Air Station at Pax River.

13:10 BULLY flight of F-16s up from Andrews on 127.275.
Kiowa Range 237.20 also active at this time (not the BULLY acft). Turns out it is an UGLY flight of A-10s from the 103d Fighter Squadron of the PA-ANG stationed at Willow Grove.

13:16 BULLY leader says push victor 1 and they come up on 139.90 as expected and call "Watergate" (SOF) where he outlines actions of the flight up to this point. Couple of minutes later they go to U8 (317.425) for Potomac Approach as they head home.

13:30 There is a flight of helicopters (4) flying in formation around the area. They are using 242.40 (National Guard Common) for in-flight comms. I believe the same group is working with Phillips AAF on 126.15.

Thunderbird Note: They have selected their new pilot additions for next year and the first woman in the history of demonstration teams has been selected. She's Nicole Malachowski - a captain, otherwise known as "Fifi."

14:40 NJ-ANG activity again on 142.20 among others. Kiowa range 237.2 also active again.
MUSSEL helo flight up on 292.20. Also lots of activity in the Pax River area with BayWatch control.
15:00 Flight of four F-16s from VA-ANG up on 142.175 using callsign SLAM.
15:24 Flight of MD-ANG A-10s 10 minutes from home. Callsign COLT on 347.2 (Raven Ops). That might have been who was working the Kiowa Range.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In addition to 142.175, VA ANG must have been quite busy, 'cause I heard them on 141.6 (sounded like a maint report) and 141.825 (tracking a 'bogey'). From what one pilot was syaing they were lining up over the Bay Bridge (365.7 - which I have as a Bandsaw freq, among others), and up to about 3pm or so, the usual 292.2 Mussel freq wtih a/c getting flight levels and what sounded like some coordination instruction. There was also a brief comm on 303.0 (refuel) someone calling 'on uniform' but evidently no joy as I didn't hear a reply

Lots of folks taking advantage of the clear air up there today...73s Mike

[Edit] Looks like the DC boys are on their way up - I picked up a brief call for 'Bully' (I think that was the right call) on Victor 1 (127.275). A quick scan on the usual VHF milair freqs was no joy

TinEar

20:00 ANGRY flight of F-16s up from Andrews. They're working in the GIANT KILLER area of the Va Capes. Working on their own tac freq 127.275 (V-5) along with SOF 139.90 (V-1) and various GK freqs.

Also hearing a flight of WILD F-16s from Andrews now up at 20:15 on their V-1 calling SOF "Senate."

Looks like both groups are using V-5 (127.275) for their ops. It appears the ANGRY flight is wearing the white hats and WILD are the black hats for this op.

CRAB flight off Martin State at 20:25 on 385.90 - CRAB Ops.
Another CRAB took off at 20:35.
CRAB = C-130J MD-ANG

20:45 The Northrup Gruman test flight freq is active (123.225). Heard a mention of WIZARD58. That call has been used by E-3 aircraft out of Tinker AFB, OK. It's WIZARD58 plus the test flight on the freq.

CRAB53 and 51 from Martin State are working with Phillips AAF on 126.15.
Trooper 1 is also on 126.15 with Phillips to get permission to access his area. He says he'll be between (Routes) 40 and 95.

Not sure just what the CRAB C-130s are doing but they are talking about making a drop and mentioned dropping sandbags. I wonder if that's practice for dropping "Daisy Cutters" or "MOABs." Just a wild guess.

21:29 WILD flight of two F-16s on the way home - 30 miles out from Andrews. They'll be landing on 19left and 19right.

21:48 Well isn't that special...the C-130J is requesting the people at Phillips do a sweep for deer before they make the drop. Don't want to hurt any critters by dropping a pallet of sandbags on their heads.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
They must've made a quick pass over GB; all of a sudden both 139.9 and 127.275 got real loud, then faded out after a bit....

I had to laugh about the deer; would make for a very difficult bombing target - let's see, 5 bags dropped, 2 deer......smothered....
:D

73s Mike

TinEar

12:45 Flight of F-16s from Andrews (DC-ANG) using callsign RAVAGE up on squadron tac freq 143.15. They are working in the Patuxent River area under the control of BayWatch on 354.80.

TinEar

Rather than making a bunch of posts, I'll just update this post with edits as new activity happens during the day

Lots of activity late morning in the GIANT KILLER (VA Capes) area. There is a flight of six F-15s from Langley working there. They are using callsign JAKE - with three aircraft in the southern part of the zone and three in the northern. They are all working above 30,000 feet so they are very easy to copy from long distances. They are also working with KC-135 refuelers while there. The KC-135 tankers can be heard talking among themselves on 139.875. There are two tankers working that are calling themselves TANKER 1 and TANKER 2 while in GK's area.

The busiest GIANT KILLER freqs being used today:
391.2 - 373.1 - 292.3 - 238.1 - 255.0

BayWatch (Pax River) area also getting some activity. 354.80 is the main freq in use.

SAM Command Post freqs at Andrews are also busy today (378.10 and 141.55).

Now 12:54 also hearing LION flight of F-15s from Langley in the GK area. Also flying there is DRAGNET, an E-3B from Tinker AFB, OK but indicates he's going to return to Dover so he must be based from there temporarily.

Also heard an aircraft (no callsign heard) on a GK freq (249.80) mention that he's going to be testing "Sparkle" which has been used to name the red/green laser system recently installed to warn aircraft they are flying in restricted airspace.

Not sure what happened to the LION flight but just before 13:00 the lead flight hollered "Knock it off, knock it off, knock it off" stopping whatever they were doing and announced the flight is RTB (returning to base).

13:07 Have an ANGRY flight (3 F-16s) out of Andrews working on their tac freq 139.35.

13:26 WATERBUG 204 with BayWatch announcing he's going to RTB. He's from the FATS (Force Aircraft Test Squadron) unit at Naval Air Station, Patuxent River.

13:35 One of the tankers in the GK area is RTB. He was checking weather at various bases including Chambers Field (NAS Norfolk) and then decided he's just going back to McGuire.

14:20 The ANGRY flight coming home. They "push victor 1" which brings them to 139.90 where flight leader gives a flight report to SOF Senate recapping the missions, the targets, the ordnance expended and any maintenance problems. Flight leader then announces "push victor 6" which brings them back to their tac freq 139.35.

14:25 1st Helo Squadron, flying UH-1 helos from Andrews is up on 141.70

Status
Not open for further replies.