Stolen BCD996t Returned Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
A year and half ago my girlfriend had her car broken into. They stole the AM/FM radio and a Uniden BCD996t scanner right out of the dash. We filed a police report and moved on. I checked craigslist for several days afterwards seeing if anything would appear. Fast forwarding to a couple weeks ago, I got a PM on radioreference(not a email) of all things from a guy in the same town(pop.125,000) my scanner was stolen in. He said my name showed up on the screen when he turned the scanner on and wanted to know if it was stolen. He recognized my name in the scanner with my user ID here. We exchanged some emails and I got the scanner back. If it had not been for the programmable start-up screen, I would have never got it back.

He did end up buying from a guy on CL, guess it just took that long to list it.

Tim K.

tonyclark

Premium Subscriber
Very nice of that guy to give it back. He could of kept it no one would ever know. Hats off to that guy.
Glad you got it back. Still hope for this world.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
good story... Uniden also needs to include a PASSWORD ON POWER UP... that cant be killed by software (the intro screen can be nuked by software or by reset)

the password would really mess anyone with a stolen radio.

OCO

good story... Uniden also needs to include a PASSWORD ON POWER UP... that cant be killed by software (the intro screen can be nuked by software or by reset)

the password would really mess anyone with a stolen radio.

So, most of the scanners would have a sticky note on the back? Note there's already been hostility from HP1 owners having to answer whether they want to charge the batteries or not and which standby mode they want...:D:lol:

frazpo

Similar thing happened to my wife's cousin with a cell phone. Except he had his brother pose as a potential buyer and they met the thief. He confirmed it was his phone and well,it ended with the cops on scene.

On the Craiglist subject. You guys use Searchtempest.com? This is not a plug. Just a quick way to check all the Craigslist entries in a large radius.

W9NES

Good Story Tim, How about sending this to Uniden and to Upman(aka Paul).This would make a very nice NewsRelease from a User of Uniden products. Upman(AKA Paul) are your receiving?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have my name and number on the start up screen but also have it on a small piece of paper inside the radio. If it ever ends up in a shop for repair, my note will be found and a thief will be dealt with..

Status
Not open for further replies.