BCD436HP/BCD536HP: The Analyze Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8IAA

The HP-1 was the precursor to the x36HP scanners. Uniden was putting their toes in the scanner waters to test the temperature. People asked for the HP features and wanted a scanner with a keypad that had those features.

The x36HP scanners were already in development when the HP was an established scanner. If one paid attention to the posts, it didn't have the hardware necessary to decode Phase II transmissions, and never would.

I, for one, was hoping for a ground breaking, techno-wizard of a scanner. It didn't happen.

People were so caught up in the feeding frenzy when the x35HP's came out, they forgot all the posts made by UPMan about when the features and firmware updates should be available. In this 'I want it now' generation's view, Uniden failed.

I liken the Uniden forums to a modern day Rave. I don't envy Paul one bit for not posting until it is necessary.
Larry

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
People were so caught up in the feeding frenzy when the x35HP's came out, they forgot all the posts made by UPMan about when the features and firmware updates should be available. In this 'I want it now' generation's view, Uniden failed.

I liken the Uniden forums to a modern day Rave. I don't envy Paul one bit for not posting until it is necessary.
Larry

Since the entire world doesn't read UPMan's posts, at the very least, Uniden should update their scanner page, which still says "+App Release 1Q2014" ....

Uniden Scanners, Scanner Software & Accessories

And, once again, I am dealing only in facts here.

jdobbs2001

I for one shelled out over 1500 bucks for my 436...my 536 and my HP-1....I understand the situation with (Paul) UP Man...I get that...but I am still waiting for an update to my HP-1...I even shelled out the extra hundred for the added features....As far as the 536 & 436...IMHO shouldn't you not sell the radios until they are ready ready? To get flamed over a comment isn't right either..there are some great people here on the boards and the Google groups too...play nice is all I'm saying...I have been a scanner enthusiast since the early 70s when I had a Regency 4 channel scanner and had to go to Lafayette or Bond Radio (Waterbury CT) to get my crystals...I just got a new scanner enthusiast started in the hobby...that's how it will go on...don't turn someone off with a harsh answer...remember when you were a scanner "virgin".

Why did you pay todays dollar for a product that did not have the features you wanted today. Why did you not wait until the product shipped with the features you wanted with tomorrows dollar?

For all you know they might never ship those features at all or maybe 4 years in the future.

IF you had a perfectly working scanner, buying this scanner for promised features is a fools errand.

You voted with your wallet and told Uniden your okay with how they handled the release of these new scanners.

If no one bought these scanners until the features they promised arrived first, I would bet all these features would be there today. But since everyone rushed out and bought them left and right, the people spoke with their wallets and said its okay. People today seem to lack self control when it comes to managing their finances/affairs.

xrorx

Premium Subscriber
Uniden has more to gain with it's customer base by telling the facts. From what I read there is a hardware/software problem with the 536 wireless app. OK fine, so if that's the ONLY problem I think they should release the rest of the firmware upgrade for the majority of the customers now and make a lot of people happier with their purchase. My 2 cents.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Why did you pay todays dollar for a product that did not have the features you wanted today. Why did you not wait until the product shipped with the features you wanted with tomorrows dollar?

For all you know they might never ship those features at all or maybe 4 years in the future.

IF you had a perfectly working scanner, buying this scanner for promised features is a fools errand.

You voted with your wallet and told Uniden your okay with how they handled the release of these new scanners.

If no one bought these scanners until the features they promised arrived first, I would bet all these features would be there today. But since everyone rushed out and bought them left and right, the people spoke with their wallets and said its okay. People today seem to lack self control when it comes to managing their finances/affairs.

I've already most likely said FAR more on this thread than I'm "allowed" to say so I will just say this and be done with it:

jdobbs2001, I tip my hat to you for what you wrote. I could have written almost 100% exactly what you did but you saved me the trouble. Very good post.

Done :wink:

Last edited:

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber

The x36HP scanners were already in development when the HP was an established scanner. If one paid attention to the posts, it didn't have the hardware necessary to decode Phase II transmissions, and never would.

Larry

I was incorrectly thinking that the P25/P1 to P25P2 upgrade was simply a change in the decoding of the voice channels.

Just for the record, I think I'll be holding back my purchase of a 436 until the Analyze feature has shipped and we see if anything else is missing or buggy. For now, I'll be content playing with my HP-1.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col

Yep, I sure did. No regrets.

I bought the scanner to listen to the new Phase 2 systems coming online here in AZ and also to replace my aging BC796D that is unable to monitor 700MHz, which I will also need in the near future to continue to monitor our local DTRS. That's it. Sure, the analyze feature sounds like fun to play with and when it finally is released I'll give it a whirl, but even if that feature never materializes, the BCD436HP is hands down the best scanner I've ever owned (and I've owned a bunch of them over the years). The scanner works extremely well here in Phoenix as well as Tucson where a new Phase II system just came online.

Again, no regrets. Great scanner, with or without the Analyze feature.

-AZ

Edit: One more thing - suppose Uniden decided to delay the scanner until these features were ready. For me, that would suck eggs - I need a P2 scanner today not next month or next year. I would have not been happy having to wait for the scanner I *need* just because of a missing feature that I *don't* need.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Are you a beta tester?

I've already most likely said FAR more on this thread than I'm "allowed" to say so I will just say this and be done with it:

jdobbs2001, I tip my hat to you for what you wrote. I could have written almost 100% exactly what you did but you saved me the trouble. Very good post.

Done :wink:

kd7eir

Yep, I sure did. No regrets.

I bought the scanner to listen to the new Phase 2 systems coming online here in AZ and also to replace my aging BC796D that is unable to monitor 700MHz, which I will also need in the near future to continue to monitor our local DTRS. That's it. Sure, the analyze feature sounds like fun to play with and when it finally is released I'll give it a whirl, but even if that feature never materializes, the BCD436HP is hands down the best scanner I've ever owned (and I've owned a bunch of them over the years). The scanner works extremely well here in Phoenix as well as Tucson where a new Phase II system just came online.

Again, no regrets. Great scanner, with or without the Analyze feature.

-AZ

Edit: One more thing - suppose Uniden decided to delay the scanner until these features were ready. For me, that would suck eggs - I need a P2 scanner today not next month or next year. I would have not been happy having to wait for the scanner I *need* just because of a missing feature that I *don't* need.

I share the exact same sentiments as you - without this I would not be listening to the PCWIN system. My BCD436HP serves my purposes perfectly.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm eager to see Analyze come to life, as I use it a lot in the HP1 and am hoping that some of the 'bugs' from the HP1's rendition get rectified in the 436. However, the radio is a fine radio otherwise. Are there some things I would want to change? Yeah, probably. Nothing earth-shaking though - maybe have a few more options on how to control the LED, for example. Nothing that absolutely ruins my experience.

I see others talking about how analog/conventional sensitivity is greatly reduced and I wonder if I really do have the same radio here. I have my radio sitting on my desk at home with a Diamond SRH789 antenna (and a mangled one at that, which means it's probably not functioning 100%), and it is picking up 800MHz signals from the city >30 miles distant, which I absolutely cannot receive on any of my other radios (HP1, PSR600, 996XT, or 796D, all multicoupled thru an MCA204 into a SpectrumForce mobile antenna on a ground plane). I pick up VHF-hi signals full-quieting that are weak and scratchy on the other radios. (And to prove it wasn't an antenna fluke, I connected the 436 to that multicoupler and got UHF analog signals from nearly 60 miles away, clear as a bell.)

Digital reception with this radio on the local combination analog/P25 Mot II system is astounding. In my truck (hooked up to a fender-mounted Austin Spectra), in my small town in the foothills of the Rockies, I pick up and decode with near 100% clarity the digital comms which I have to be 15+ miles closer to the city to receive with my 396XT or HP1 hooked up to the same antenna.

I feel bad for those of you who continue to go on about how this radio is a total disaster and/or that you didn't get what you paid for. If you truly feel that way, maybe you should sell it...

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I guess people are frustrated because they didn't get all that they paid for yet. It's like lending someone money expecting to get it back by a certain date and that date comes and the borrower doesn't show.
I feel for all concerned.

Exactly! Couldn't agree more!!

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You should have stopped posting a long time ago in this thread. Consider you one of the main reasons I'm closing this thread.

And since it's heading the same direction as the Siren App threads we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.