Thinking of getting a 325P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like we need a 396P2.
I would agree that the 325P2 is not as sturdy at the 396XT. The usb charge and programming is a plus with the 325P2. However, on the downside it doesn’t charge while in use, and charging does not start automatically when off and connected to power. You must remember to press “E” to start the charging process. My county is still all analog so the 396xt is my current favored handheld although the soon we will be P25 phase 2. So yes, a scanner built like the 396xt with keypad backlight but capable on P25phase 2 and DMR would be great.

GROL

I have the BCD396XT, BCD996P2, BCT15X, BCD436HP, SDS100 and the BCD325P2. The BCD396XT isn't sturdy to begin with. I don't think the BCD325P2 is much different. They seem the same to me. Only the SDS100 has a sturdier cabinet. It performs pretty much the same as the 996P2. Battery life is shorter than other handheld scanners, but I can't say it is a big deal. Just get good rechargeables like Eneloops with an external charger. 2 spare AA batteries are easy to pocket. On civilian air and milair, it performs very well. The best performers I have for civilian and milair are the BCT15X, BCD996P2 and BCD325P2. Close second is the BCD396XT just due to audio. You can change search defaults to AM and 25khz spacing which is a big benefit on air bands. There are images that will show up searching between 225 and 400 MHz more so than with the BCD396XT and the two PRO-164 I have. Fortunately they go away using IFX. I found it pretty much the same with the 996P2. The BCD325P2 has very good audio. A bit better than the 396XT. It works well on P25 and P25 trunking, but has just as much trouble as other scanners on simulcast systems. I don't think you would be disappointed with one if not trying to monitor simulcast trunking systems. I do wish it had a backlit keypad, but not a huge deal given its good performance. Maybe it was left off due to battery consumption. An updated version with backlit keypad and 3 AAs would be nice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.