This guy had a real impressive review on the Eton Executive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I would never rely on those YouTube reviews - they don't tell you where they are, they don't tell you the time of day, they don't tell you all sorts of things that are pertinent to the radio's operation - and how can you connect a whip antenna to the FRG7700 and call that a level playing field!

YouTube reviews often say nice things so they keep getting nice toys to review for free.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
It's probably no surprise, but I just clicked on the Eton Elite Executive. I want to thank everyone who offered advice and suggestions. This should "round out" my listening post. Looking forward to the scheduled delivery day of 13th, which probably means the 14th as it's a Monday.

a417

YouTube reviews often say nice things so they keep getting nice toys to review for free.

I usually only lend weight to the opinions of those who will openly disclose they are compensated reviewers, when I see shills...I'm done.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone want to host the PDF of the "facts only" English version of the Eton Elite Manual? This site will not allow a PDF of decent quality to be uploaded, so I'll be happy to email to anyone that wants to host it.

COVER.gif

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I usually only lend weight to the opinions of those who will openly disclose they are compensated reviewers, when I see shills...I'm done.

Well, I forked over my own money, and I'm brutally honest with my reviews, like I was with << THIS ITEM >> which someone claimed I was deceptive and that I should apologize to the company. Really? If a product works, I'll say so, if it doesn't for a particular task I'll say so. People who lie on reviews are no better than thieves in my book.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
@Hit_Factor compressed the PDF with less degradation than I was able to accomplish and made it small enough to upload to RR and still be usable. For best result, print it in "booklet" format.
Thanks @Hit_Factor !!

Attachments

• Eton Elite Executive - Mini Manual (English).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I guess I won't get much sleep tomorrow night...
+.JPG
... that's okay though, I have lots and lots of coffee in the house. :coffee:

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I only have one knock against my Executive Satellit. That is when used outside with polarized sunglasses the display "disappears". First time I encountered this, I thought the display had failed all together. :)

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I only have one knock against my Executive Satellit. That is when used outside with polarized sunglasses the display "disappears". First time I encountered this, I thought the display had failed all together. :)
That's kinda interesting. I don't use polarizing lenses but it's definitely an unexpected bit of information.

Hit_Factor

Why isn't that a knock on polarized sunglasses?

Turn the display 90 degrees to see it.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
It's no longer a knock but that first time caught me by surprise.

Boombox

Looks like it's probably an decent to good radio for most listening, especially at around $150. As the reviewer in the YT vid mentions, DSP chips are really high performance addition to SW portables. My Grundig G2 picks up anything off its reasonably short whip that my good portables with analog IF chips pick up off a 30 ft indoor antenna.

I'm here in WA state and the Cascades don't affect SW if your far enough west or east of them. During early mornings Asia comes in well (if it's a good propagation day). There's nothing between the PNW and Asia aside from thousands of miles of ocean. I've heard Africa and Europe over the past month or so. Sometimes South America. All off the whip on my G2, so an Eton probably should do as well.

We're far enough north here in WA that we get hit a little more by the aurora radio zone than those in California to the south of us.

MW is more dependent on local terrain, so if you're west of the Cascades you can still hear the Midwest and Plains states, as well as much of Western Canada at night. If you're east of the Cascades you can hear more Eastern US stations, depending on the sunspot cycle, of course. I'm in a hole and still could hear Rebelde on 1180, even on a 70's TRF portable off it's loopstick. But that was when MW prop was good about 8-9 years ago. The Cascades didn't affect reception here of the Central US that much.

Good luck with your purchase.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Note that the Executive Satellit / Elite Executive had a Amazon price of around $75.00 US when it was first introduced. I was able to get my Executive Satellit for about $97.00 US just a couple of years ago.

I'm currently listening to RNZ Pacific on 15720 here in central Ohio on the Executive Satellit ... only because I'm using my Welbrook ALA1530LNP NA loop.

--
Mike

GROL

I have the Eton Elite Executive. I am impressed with what it can receive with just the telescopic antenna on HF. I am more impressed with it as a single channel civilian air band receiver. Very good sensitivity and excellent audio.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I have the Eton Elite Executive. I am impressed with what it can receive with just the telescopic antenna on HF. I am more impressed with it as a single channel civilian air band receiver. Very good sensitivity and excellent audio.

Man no kidding! When squelch breaks on the aircraft band it sounds like they are in the room with you. I was NOT expecting that. I too was really impressed with it's sensitivity AND selectivity on HF. In the past I've used larger more expensive "communication receivers" with outside antennas that were not as impressive.

I am going to have to get a plastic holder for it though. The only drawback with this radio is not it's reception capability, it's that the case/antenna issue. Also, without holder, it's prone to tipping if nudged.

Status
Not open for further replies.