This guy had a real impressive review on the Eton Executive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GROL

I've noticed narrowing the bandwidth a little helps with noise on the weaker stations.
Yep, it does help some and I have tried that too. I would suggest anyone try that. I really can't complain much about the radio. For the price and size it is impressive, if it had an RF gain it would be a stellar performer.

Boombox

Whatever the design, it isn't possible to improve the signal-to-noise ratio. It works just fine for what it is and pulls in signals well. I do get a little fatigued listening to all the background noise. If anyone has found a block diagram or schematic for the Eton Elite Executive, I would really like to see how it is designed.
It says in a manual I found online (no block diagram, unfortunately) that the Eton Elite Executive has SYNC (a synchronous detector function), so it may not have a DSP chip inside, it may be analog superhet.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
It says in a manual I found online (no block diagram, unfortunately) that the Eton Elite Executive has SYNC (a synchronous detector function), so it may not have a DSP chip inside, it may be analog superhet.

I don't recommend using the synchronous detection button on the radio. You are better off using straight SSB and using the fine tuning.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Yep, it does help some and I have tried that too. I would suggest anyone try that. I really can't complain much about the radio. For the price and size it is impressive, if it had an RF gain it would be a stellar performer.

Have you ever considered << THIS ADD ON ITEM >>?

71q-dbTE7eL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

... and it looks like it comes with a stand for the radio too!

71W4lIizWvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

GROL

I don't recommend using the synchronous detection button on the radio. You are better off using straight SSB and using the fine tuning.
Yes. The SYNC button seems to help with AM broadcast fade. Isn't that what it is for? Seems to lower distortion and some improvement in SNR. Isn't it Synchronous AM demodulation? It sometimes adds tons of noise to reception of SSB. I have accidentally enabled it when switching to SSB.

GROL

Have you ever considered << THIS ADD ON ITEM >>?

71q-dbTE7eL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

... and it looks like it comes with a stand for the radio too!

71W4lIizWvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Tried one years ago. That amplifier adds lots of noise. Where there is room, I usually use inverted V antennas. Best overall performance of any wire antenna I have ever tried. They are not as much affected by elevation off the ground as are horizontal dipoles. Do not pick up so much noise as a vertical and they are omnidirectional. Currently have a 20/40 meter inverted V in the back yard. Apex at 25 feet. One inverted dipole for 20 meters and another for 40 meters. It does very well as a SWL antenna too. Works good plugged into the Eton. Where space does not allow as with portable operation, I reluctantly use verticals. It is hard to get enough elevation for horizontals, and they are directional. I don't use them. I just recently strung up a hoist and cable about 60 feet into a tree. Actually the tree trimming guys did it for me. I plan to get a multiband inverted V farther off the ground.

4nradio

Howdy,

I'm another lurker from Washington (the "Other Washington" as we like to say).

A good target from here is the BBC from Kranji (Singapore) in English on 7485, in the 1500-1900 UTC timeframe. This transmitter is beamed to the Middle East, so definitely away from the USA; however, I often hear them at fair to good level.

BBC from Philippines on 9615 can also be heard well, even indoors on a whip antenna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWKhTMY-y3o This transmission is in Korean.

Another favorite is Radio Romania International, which beams English to the Western North America on 6020 kHz at 0400-0500 UTC. Many times reception is *very* good, and other times it's quite weak. Their signal skirts the auroral zone and so reception can be variable.

Currently my favorite portable is the HFDY V3 Malahit SDR clone. In my opinion it's the best of the currently available Malahit DSP1 clones. It's certainly built very well and has good sound and reception. Check out this reception of AWR Madagascar with the V3 SDR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXZ96pdg14

Also, this one from Pyongyang, North Korea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUePjE-ylpk

Antenna used for these last two clips was a Wellbrook ALA1530LN.

73, Guy

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Howdy,

I'm another lurker from Washington (the "Other Washington" as we like to say).

Howdy back at ya neighbor! One of the things I'm also planning to do next month is try my hand at WEFAX since I now have a radio capable of SSB. Of course I'm going to have to search/investigate for a software program that can accept the line out audio on the radio to my computer mic jack.

4nradio

Here are a group of links to various software packages for decoding WEFAX on a PC: https://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Software/Weather_and_FAX/

There's at least one Android app for WEFAX, so if you have an Android device you can decode WEFAX without even needing the line input. This looks very capable, and the cost is $9.99: HF Weather Fax decoder for Android phones & tablets – Wolphi – Mobile Software Development The same company also offers Android apps that decode PSK, RTTY, and other modes.

For SSTV, I recently downloaded Robot36, a free Android app: Robot36 - SSTV Image Decoder - Apps on Google Play

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Here are a group of links to various software packages for decoding WEFAX on a PC: https://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Software/Weather_and_FAX/

There's at least one Android app for WEFAX, so if you have an Android device you can decode WEFAX without even needing the line input. This looks very capable, and the cost is $9.99: HF Weather Fax decoder for Android phones & tablets – Wolphi – Mobile Software Development The same company also offers Android apps that decode PSK, RTTY, and other modes.

For SSTV, I recently downloaded Robot36, a free Android app: Robot36 - SSTV Image Decoder - Apps on Google Play

Thanks for the heads up. I checked out the Robot36, but honestly I don't know of any SSTV in my area for things like frequency and time. Now that WEFAX decoder looks kinda slick. I'm considering...

I wish my radio could record, then I would be able to slip the SD card into the PC for processing. I got a hold of Eton at their info@etoncorp.com email address a couple of days ago and suggested that feature on the next model of their portable, but you never know if it'll fall on deaf ears or not.

For vacation this year I plan to go camping up in the mountains, so playing with radio will be a major part of my evenings. Oh, since you live in this neck of the woods, have your ever been to Ohanapecosh? From what I've seen online, there are plenty of trees to string up a dipole between!

4nradio

Oh yeah, Ohanapecosh! I've camped there a few times. It's a little too crowded and busy for my liking due to it being a campground within Olympic National Park. I prefer some of the Natl. Forest Service campgrounds along Highway 410, east of the divide. You'll have less possibility of RFI from TVs, solar panels, etc. coming from RVs if you camp in the more spacious and less popular campgrounds.

To really get away from the chance of RFI / QRM, check out the "dispersed" camping areas in Washington. Dispersed camping is also called "boondocking" or "dry camping".

In most national forests and Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR) land you are free to camp wherever you like. This means you'll need to bring all your own water, a folding table, etc. since you're "on your own" without any of the usual campground services or facilities. However, you're more free to erect antennas as long and as big as you like, and you can almost always get away from manmade noise sources. Be sure to check out any camping restrictions on the Web though. For instance, sometimes areas are closed for access due to fire danger in the summer or other reasons.

My favorite areas for dispersed camping in Washington are along the Bumping River off of Highway 412, and along the North Fork of the Teanaway River (north of I-90, NNE of the town of Cle Elum). Watch out for places where you have a high mountain peak close to you--they can block signals which would otherwise reach you in a broader valley or farther from the mountain peaks.

Boombox

And remember when you're further out in Eastern Washington you're also about 1000 feet up, just being in the flat areas. Yakima has higher elevation than Seattle or most of the Puget Lowlands... It's about a thousand feet up, as is Moses Lake... Ellensburg is 1500 feet up... helps with some radio reception. A guy on another website began to get tons of MW stations when he moved over there. Not sure how it affects HF, but if it does, the extra elevation is a boon.

4nradio

Very true... there have been some amazing reception of foreign medium wave stations from DXers in the Colorado Rockies in the past.

I have camped on Table Mountain north of Ellensburg, WA which is over 6,000 ft. high. Especially at the cliffs on the west side (Lion Rock area) I've had great reception on both MW and HF.

Better yet, make a trip to the Rockwork Cliffs area, south of Cannon Beach, Oregon. An elevated place right next to a body of salt water can be a special place for DXing. This location is ~450 ft. above the ocean and is legendary in MW DXing circles for phenomenal medium wave reception of New Zealand stations especially. There's a Google Map Street View link & photo in this article of mine on the SWLing Post site which shows the Rockwork Cliffs. Even non-DXers love this place for the views :)

Status
Not open for further replies.