This site is confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at the Pearson Internation frequencies and it shows them.. but says that Air Canada is on a trunk system but it only shows the frequencies and not dec codes...its too confusing.

Can anyone recommend a site to me were I can find the vital information for YYZ?

Thanks
A.

Anon6083

Premium Subscriber
I am looking at the Pearson Internation frequencies and it shows them.. but says that Air Canada is on a trunk system but it only shows the frequencies and not dec codes...its too confusing.

Can anyone recommend a site to me were I can find the vital information for YYZ?

Thanks
A.

You have to actually click on the system name "Air Canada (Pearson International Airport)" as it appears on Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference. Please see this URL:

Air Canada (Pearson International Airport) Trunking System, Toronto, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

Last edited:

acepilot340

Helpful Info

Andrew,
Welcome to RadioReference!

This site is not confusing at all, there is an extensive amount of information on here. You just need to be directed to this information.

Since you seem to be new to the hobby I suggest to visit the RadioReference Wiki home page. Main Page - The RadioReference Wiki

On the right column in the light blue box titled "Links for Newcomers" are all the links you should read and study to gain a better understanding of the hobby.

Andrew,
Welcome to RadioReference!

This site is not confusing at all, there is an extensive amount of information on here. You just need to be directed to this information.

Since you seem to be new to the hobby I suggest to visit the RadioReference Wiki home page. Main Page - The RadioReference Wiki

On the right column in the light blue box titled "Links for Newcomers" are all the links you should read and study to gain a better understanding of the hobby.

Unfortunately I think outside the box; I have to see things working to fully understand them. Throwing a text book in front me of and saying "here read this" doesn't educate me one bit. I may just have to take my unit to the store I bought it from and pay the $80 an hour to have them program it...thanks for the help

Andrew

Highpockets

Unfortunately I think outside the box; I have to see things working to fully understand them. Throwing a text book in front me of and saying "here read this" doesn't educate me one bit. I may just have to take my unit to the store I bought it from and pay the $80 an hour to have them program it...thanks for the help

Andrew

What scanner do you have and are you using software to program it?

acepilot340

Andrew,
You have a premium subscription, that is your ticket to unlimited programming from RadioReference. All you need to do is learn how to hook up your scanner to your computer, get the programing software for your scanner and you will be set. Software is different based on what scanner you have. There is a program called FreeScan, but I'm not sure if you can register with RadioReference on that program.

Andrew,
You have a premium subscription, that is your ticket to unlimited programming from RadioReference. All you need to do is learn how to hook up your scanner to your computer, get the programing software for your scanner and you will be set. Software is different based on what scanner you have. There is a program called FreeScan, but I'm not sure if you can register with RadioReference on that program.

So are you saying I can use the remote plug on my scanner to connect it to my computer? You have understand I am new to this...That's the only plug on it that it has other than the head phone jack.

Andrew

here's the wiki link for your scanner: BC346XT - The RadioReference Wiki

Also, check out the easier to read manual: Easier to Read BC346XT Scanner Manual

That'll get you in going in the right direction.

I had read through the "easier to read" manual and that's were I got stuck. I followed the steps for programming the MOT trunk and tried to use the info from this website for Pearson International but it doesn't talk about the TGID (or is TDIG) codez; I think also the the how-to might have been written for firmware release 1.0; I it looks like Uniden has added or maybe changed some stuff in their latest firmware which my scanner already has in it.

A.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
The 346XT is difficult to learn and I had the same problems as you when I started out with mine. The solution is to download Freescan and install it, then plug in your scanner via the usb port and run Freescan. If you have a subscription to the site here you can go on line with Freescan, find your area, and download your local trunking systems from the Radio Reference database. No muss no fuss and I had no trouble figuring out how to use freescan without a manual. The usb cable will take over a free com port on your system and connect via that. Set the baud rate to 115200 and it will be nice and fast. You get a virtual scanner screen on your computer monitor and can stick the scanner in a corner somewhere.

n5ims

There may be some confusion here. Hopefully this will help you sort things out.

The normal frequencies for Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) are standard conventional frequencies and should not be programmed as MOT nor will they have talkgroup information (since talkgroups are specific to trunked systems, not conventional systems). Examples of these would be 120.825 (ATIS Primary), 118.700 (Tower North), and 129.875 (Air Canada Flight Dispatch).

For these, follow the instructions here (from the 'Easier to read' link Easier to Read BC346XT Scanner Manual) "Programming 'Systems'" - "Conventional Systems"

The "Air Canada (Pearson International Airport)" is where you'll need to program using the MOT type since it's a Motorola Type II Smartnet System. I It appears you've found the instructions for this already so I won't add them here. Program in the frequencies as instructed (if they indicate you only need the control channels those would be the ones listed in Blue and Red). The talkgroups would be listed below the frequencies (e.g. "16 001 Domestic Ramp", "240 00f Emergency", and "1104 045 Domestic Station Operations"). Please note that you'll only need the DEC column or the HEX column depending on what your scanner requires (which you use will depend on how you have your "Set ID Format" set.

Hope this helps out!

Last edited:
K

kb0nly

To answer his other question... The Remote jack on the scanner is for connecting to the computer for programming. Connect to computer, download and install Freescan, go to Import from RadioReference, select the systems you want, click import and then write it to the scanner, done in minutes. Its all quite confusing learning a new scanner, for god sakes dont try to do it from the radio use software!

The 346XT is difficult to learn and I had the same problems as you when I started out with mine. The solution is to download Freescan and install it, then plug in your scanner via the usb port and run Freescan. If you have a subscription to the site here you can go on line with Freescan, find your area, and download your local trunking systems from the Radio Reference database. No muss no fuss and I had no trouble figuring out how to use freescan without a manual. The usb cable will take over a free com port on your system and connect via that. Set the baud rate to 115200 and it will be nice and fast. You get a virtual scanner screen on your computer monitor and can stick the scanner in a corner somewhere.

I can't seem to find the software on this site; can you tell me were I can find it? The only thing places I found anything that had to do with software was in the forum but there was nothing that said FreeScan, and under the Wiki which only shows how-to install FreeScan for Windows.

Thanks
Andrew

In the very first page of the User Guide in our wiki, the word 'FreeSCAN' shows up in blue. Click on that and you will be taken to the Freescan home page. This is, by the way, a site wide standard - anything in blue is a link

FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki.

best regards..Mike

So how do I got from having the software to programming my scanner or uploading stuff to it? Is there no way to take the info from the database here and push it into my scanner? I see the software supports CSV files but I don't see any options to download from the database.

Thanks
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.