Thrift Store finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

My area has Goodwill stores with way overpriced electronics - $20 for a 1st generation DVD player, etc...and have never had a scanner, never had a decent radio in the past 5 years. My guess is that they must have some directive to save anything half-way decent and send it to a 'central location' where they would put them on fleaBay? I donated a Moto VHF HT and it never showed-up on their shelf, so I can only make that assumption. Same goes for 'Savers'. In addition, anytime I find a nice box, the electronic item has already been stolen, which is distressing. Saw a Sirius radio in an unopened box, came back the next day with a coupon and the box was ripped open, everything inside was pilfered, radio, cables, even the damn instructions. So I'll quit whining , but really a waste of gas for me to stop at the two thrift stores here every other day.
I know a guy who used to work for Goodwill. Nothing whatsoever is kept at the store where donated; it's always shipped somewhere a good distance away. Or it was when he worked there anyway, this has been in the 2010-2012 timeframe, IIRC. I guess they didn't want people to get embarrassed at seeing their old shirts and jeans on other people or something, I dunno.

In my area, only one Goodwill carries any electronics to amount to anything, that's on South 3rd in Terre Haute. The others around only will have a few basic things, phone chargers and such. And they are just about all way overpriced on all of it...nor have I ever found anything even at the T.H. store that was worth bringing home. Closest thing was an old Realistic Weather Cube, which I might have gotten just as a nostalgia item except that it was beat up and they had it tagged at $12. I didn't even bother trying to talk them down.

skinnyb82

You guys are lucky. I'm in the same boat as johnny. Anything I find at local Goodwill, even pawn shops, is worth the price or I simply cannot find anything. Believe I saw a Bearcat digital (of some variety) at Goodwill for a ridiculous price along with some old, abused analog scanner, also overpriced. Even their books are overpriced. Why would I pay $10 for a used copy of a book when I can buy it brand new for $5? Their own business model is self-destructive. Removing stuff from the communities where it was donated. It's redistribution to where they think they can gouge people.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

lucky43113

You guys are lucky. I'm in the same boat as johnny. Anything I find at local Goodwill, even pawn shops, is worth the price or I simply cannot find anything. Believe I saw a Bearcat digital (of some variety) at Goodwill for a ridiculous price along with some old, abused analog scanner, also overpriced. Even their books are overpriced. Why would I pay $10 for a used copy of a book when I can buy it brand new for $5? Their own business model is self-destructive. Removing stuff from the communities where it was donated. It's redistribution to where they think they can gouge people.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Same here goodwill is not cheap no bargains to be had most stuff is over priced like 10-15 dollar pairs of jeans crazy

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
My major beef with Goodwill* is that it is a "for profit" not for profit enterprise. Yes, they are a 501(c)(3) corporation. Yes, they do employ those with various challenges (including some who's only challenge is lack of employment).
Goodwill is funded by a massive network of retail thrift stores which operate as nonprofits as well. Goodwill's answer to its profit status is "As a unique hybrid called a social enterprise, we defy traditional distinctions. Instead of a single bottom line of profit, we hold ourselves accountable to a triple bottom line of people, planet, and performance."
They pay their workers significantly less than minimum wages. Meanwhile...
A 2013 article on Watchdog.org reported that Goodwill's tax returns showed that more than 100 Goodwills pay less than minimum wage while simultaneously paying more than $53.7 million in total compensation to top executives.

* See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwill_Industries

kr19

Premium Subscriber
We're very lucky here in Central Indiana to have several well-stocked Goodwill stores with reasonable prices. I swear that a third of my house is decorated/furnished with Goodwill scores, and my tech desk is loaded with odds and ends found at Goodwills all over the area. Goodwills vary from region to region, so it's really based on how big of a footprint they have in your community, and maybe even moreso on the donors in the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mule1075

Feed Provider
Hey can we get this thread back on track.I am sure it changes from store to store.This is about thirft store finds and it does not specifically say goodwill.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

How about a yard sale find to get back OT? Will that qualify? Picked up a basically new in box BC365crs at a garage/yard sale for $10 over the weekend. RS associate had assured the people that it was "just the ticket for hearing all of the police/fire/ambulance/other emergency traffic around here," which of course it won't, since most is on Safe-T. And then they discovered that RS is serious about the no-returns policy. I've got most of the local Ham repeaters on it, plus the local fire/EMS pagers...but I find myself using the FM function to listen to EIB more than anything, LOL. But for a ten-spot I guess it's not too bad. I got it Sunday afternoon and as with the rest of their stuff they were ready to see it leave.:lol:

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Today at a flee market, I picked up a VHF XPR 6550 for $20.00 (yes TWENTY) dollars. It was strewn among piles of low-end electronics, the seller clearly had no idea what it was. I'm about to get some accessories on Ebay and have someone test it for me, hopefully it still works (from what I've heard Motorola stuff is pretty hard to break)...

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Just got a Radio Shack Pro-2021 for $8 today.. Didn't really need but picked it up as a backup rig for my fire feed..

marksroberson

The other day I picked up a La Crosse Technology "Wireless 433 MHz" WS-7078UF weather station, the box still had the original store's price tag: $99.95 and on the other side was the slightly discounted price of $6.99, I looked inside and everything was still in the bubble wrap and everything was there, got home and put batteries in everything and it all works great! automatically connected to WWVB and everything! Also picked up a HP Pavilion 523n with a older GeForce 5600 graphics card and a Yamaha sound card, so I knew at some point in time, someone put some money in it, I plugged it up and it must have passed it's self tests, I don't know I don't have a computer screen with me now, but I am sure it works well, if not, good for parts, for $2.98 (I will test it fully soon, and wipe and reinstall windows on the hard drive so I don't find any family pictures that might haunt me) I also got a radio shack 10 meter telescoping antenna from one of those roadside emergency cb kits from way back when, the antenna has a RCA jack but I didn't realize until I got home it also had a rca to aux cable adapter on it, 99 cents

Last edited:

stingray327

The other day I picked up a La Crosse Technology "Wireless 433 MHz" WS-7078UF weather station, the box still had the original store's price tag: $99.95 and on the other side was the slightly discounted price of $6.99, I looked inside and everything was still in the bubble wrap and everything was there, got home and put batteries in everything and it all works great! automatically connected to WWVB and everything! Also picked up a HP Pavilion 523n with a older GeForce 5600 graphics card and a Yamaha sound card, so I knew at some point in time, someone put some money in it, I plugged it up and it must have passed it's self tests, I don't know I don't have a computer screen with me now, but I am sure it works well, if not, good for parts, for $2.98 (I will test it fully soon, and wipe and reinstall windows on the hard drive so I don't find any family pictures that might haunt me) I also got a radio shack 10 meter telescoping antenna from one of those roadside emergency cb kits from way back when, the antenna has a RCA jack but I didn't realize until I got home it also had a rca to aux cable adapter on it, 99 cents

La Crosse also makes weather stations.

Browsing Craigslist ads with photos of nearby yard sales last weekend, I recognized the rear panel of the 210 series Bearcat in the corner of a photo. I took a drive over, the fellow had a working BC210XL w/antennae for 10.00 and a 50 ch Realistic base scanner and a Realistic Patrolman SW 60 with no price tags. He offered me all three for 10.00. Later, picked up a working BC 101 at indoor/outdoor flea market for 15.00.

marksroberson

picked up a HP Pavilion 523n with a older GeForce 5600 graphics card and a Yamaha sound card, so I knew at some point in time, someone put some money in it, I plugged it up and it must have passed it's self tests, I don't know I don't have a computer screen with me now, but I am sure it works well, if not, good for parts, for $2.98 (I will test it fully soon, and wipe and reinstall windows on the hard drive so I don't find any family pictures that might haunt me)

That computer worked the first few times I powered it up but I think it had been a while since someone had used it because the third or fourth time I powered it up I heard a little pop, the first few times I powered it up I was booted into Linux (and guessed the password and got in), I took everything out and inspected the motherboard and plugged it back up and it powered up but it didn't show anything on screen so I guess it's a parts computer now. Yesterday I picked up a Dell optiplex GX260 for $9.98 and once again, I can't test it where I am now so I will when I get back home, I also picked up a barjan cb antenna with no price tag and they said I could have it for free, just the rod, nothing else with it. I have no idea how it will preform, if anyone knows where I can find a mount with the connector on it or how well it works, let me know

garys

Premium Subscriber
Not a thrift store, but a yard sale find of a barely used BC370CRS. It was marked at $3.00, but the nice young lady said she'd take $2.00. Didn't have the box, loop antenna, or manual, but I got the manual on line. It's replacing a Pro 2018 that I bought a couple of years ago at another yard sale. I paid $3.00 for that one.

The 370CRS is a big step up, not only in features, but in reception quality.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
At a Ham Radio flea market in upstate NY last weekend I found two things: First, a 3 month old Unication G5, in the box, perfect condition, for.............$250! Next was an AOR LA-350 amplified loop antenna with two loop antennas covering 3-9 Mhz and 9 to 30 Mhz for..........$10. Sold a bunch of big heavy stuff, too. I was a happy camper!

Bob
N2OAM

A Thrift Store closed and now the owner is selling the wares out of their basement on the weekends. For $3.00 got this vintage working Regency scanner and 6 out 10 crystals still active in my area.

4ed5fd7890ed03baf7478ad9576c86ab.jpg

W9NES

Hello to all, Its been a while since I made a post here. Bought (2)) items today from a local Goodwill store that work great. Item#1 ARKON SoundFeeder Wireless FM Stereo transmitter Model sf121,bought it for $2.00 like new with the owners manual. Have it playing on (2) aaa batteries from my cd sony Walkman cd player into my home stereo player. I also found a Radio Shack Amplifed UHF/VHF/FM with a 12 volt plug in dc power supply. Have it working on on the air HDTV and working great. Bought it for $2.00. ***Keep your eyes out, you never know what you are going to find at Goodwill**** I love Goodwill. Fri 10-6-17 8:17PM

Status
Not open for further replies.