Thrift Store finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonefishn1

Well I just picked up a Radio Shack Pro 99, 500 channel handheld scanner for $3 its like new. Works great but not sure what to do with it because it doesn't get trunked or P25 that I listen to here.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Today I picked up a mint RadioShack Pro-90 with no antenna or power cord for all of $3 at Ohio Thrift.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
So many of our treasures are unknown to people outside the hobby, so the pricing is far below what it's worth to us! It's just some mysterious radio thing to them.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Was at the Sussex county hamfest in Augusta, NJ a few weeks back. I found a BCD996XT and an RH96 Remote Head for..............$125. I didn't even haggle with that price!

Bob

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Another excellent find: Boxborough, Mass ham fest on 9/10. Uniden BCD 396T in excellent ++ condition with manual & charger..........$50 !! Didn't even try for a better price. Works perfectly!

Bob
N2OAM

marksroberson

I got a BC148XLT with antenna at the thrift store for $ 2.99 and a Realistic Plug'nTalk 43-212B wireless intercom that looked cool for $1.39 The BC148XLT works great!

cru1242

Senior Newbie-12th Year
Premium Subscriber
The other day, my wife comes back from a local thrift store and says,"They've got one of those radios
you like over there." I went over to the store and found it. I was expecting it to be something not so
great..It was a Panasonic RF-2200. For $10. It was missing the battery door, and the plastic tube on the
am antenna had warped, but otherwise it works perfectly.(Thanks to De-Oxit) I replaced the battery door
with a Fender Stratocaster backplate I had lying around and it's good to go.

wbswetnam

Premium Subscriber
This morning I was at my local Goodwill store, just to see what I might find... and today was the day for a great find! Next to the many telephones was a very worn Radio Shack Pro-79 handheld scanner. Some previous owner had broken the battery cover and tried to fix it with duck tape so it had a lot of sticky glue on it, but the batteries were still in it. I turned it on and it worked. I looked at the price tag and I couldn't believe it... one dollar! I took it to the front and paid the dollar, and as the woman put it in the bag she said "We were looking at that this morning when we put it out but we don't know what it is. Do you know?" I said, "Yes ma'am it's a police scanner." She said "Oh, we had no idea." I took it home and took the glue residue off of it, put in fresh batteries, reprogrammed it for my area, and it works fabulously. A one dollar scanner... it's a pretty good day.

77Impala

Not thrift store but local ham radio trade event and found a Radio Shack Pro-95 for $5.00. Even came with rechargeable NiMH batteries.

wbswetnam

Premium Subscriber
This morning I was at my local Goodwill store, just to see what I might find... and today was the day for a great find! Next to the many telephones was a very worn Radio Shack Pro-79 handheld scanner. Some previous owner had broken the battery cover and tried to fix it with duck tape so it had a lot of sticky glue on it, but the batteries were still in it. I turned it on and it worked. I looked at the price tag and I couldn't believe it... one dollar! I took it to the front and paid the dollar, and as the woman put it in the bag she said "We were looking at that this morning when we put it out but we don't know what it is. Do you know?" I said, "Yes ma'am it's a police scanner." She said "Oh, we had no idea." I took it home and took the glue residue off of it, put in fresh batteries, reprogrammed it for my area, and it works fabulously. A one dollar scanner... it's a pretty good day.

I installed a discriminator tap in it so it can be used with PDW to decode POCSAG pager text messages.

stingray327

Now that is a sweet deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.