Through the Glass Cell Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackofdawnpawn

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do these work as a scanner antenna for 800 mhz ?
I wanted to try one.

Scar

give it a try!

My radio shack has them on cleanance for $10.80, so I bought another just to play with.

Nothing but a few bucks lost if it does not work well.

The one on my truck works well enough to pick up an 800 system that is over 20 miles away!

Scar

crackofdawnpawn

Banned
Well They are on sale here also that is why i asked about it.
Thanks for the advice.

jeffrey420

Bought one the other day. Installed it yesterday morning and, finally had a chance to try it out today. Does okay job so far. Really nice to have a good seal in the car wash with no more cable crimping the weather strip. Looks good too!

ke5lvt

i hate to sound like one of those "know-it-all" 800mhz works pretty good on glass mounts. just be sure if you have after market tint, you have to cut it where you mount the antenna. i found the ones i had to be pretty good.

jparks29

John McClane
MINDSHOCKER said:
i hate to sound like one of those "know-it-all" 800mhz works pretty good on glass mounts. just be sure if you have after market tint, you have to cut it where you mount the antenna. i found the ones i had to be pretty good.

depends on the tint, cheap tint is non-metallic, and is not an issue...

good tint IS metallic, hence the interference issues.

jeffrey420

crackofdawnpawn said:
Thnaks for all the adivce. Any advice on a brand.

Well, if you could find one at a closing RS store. I got mine for $14 earlier this week. Seen another post in this thread for $10.80.

Good buy for the money.

crackofdawnpawn

Banned
I just talked to a Motorola Tech and he said they dont pick up but 20 miles or so.
The 800 mhz mag mounts that motorola makes for radios work a lot better.
I guess I will stick with the mag mount.
Thanks for the input.

jeffrey420

crackofdawnpawn said:
I just talked to a Motorola Tech and he said they dont pick up but 20 miles or so.
The 800 mhz mag mounts that motorola makes for radios work a lot better.
I guess I will stick with the mag mount.
Thanks for the input.

I have a Hustler mag mount celluar ant that I used before I got the through the glass mount. After a couple of days with the Gls Mnt I would say the performance is about the same.

Not having a signal strength meter on my scanners I can't be matter of fact though. Just my personal experience.

Last edited:

Scar

great topic...

I like the fact that we can all throw ideas out and not get bashed for it! The atmosphere around here is enjoyable.

It is nice to hear other ideas about antennas (what works and what does not work). When reading information that is posted I try to remember that everyone's situation is different. Terrain, proximity to signals, etc...

Thanks for those that contribute.

Scar

Status
Not open for further replies.