• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

tk-3180 k3 questions, need help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
How do i get my Ebay listing on to the CLASSIFIEDS ad on here?

You have to be a premium subscriber to post ads in the classifieds forum.
http://forums.radioreference.com/fo...assifieds-platform-beta-test.html#post1178837

Just some advice, if you actually want to sell those radios, you may want to set a more realistic price.

$500 for two used, untested by a professional analog radios is a ripoff. One can buy a pair of seller refurbished digital portables for that. I paid less than your opening bid for a NEW Icom IC-F4161DS which is a modern iDAS digital radio with a full warranty for an Icom dealer.

Not trying to sound harsh, but reality is you have two well used radios that have not been bench tested on a service monitor by a professional radio tech and have used batteries, and are shiny with wear and tear.

You may want to drop your price to about half that for that PAIR if you actually want to sell them. But then, it is Paybay which is ripe with mouth breathers who overpay for stuff.

rapidcharger

My advice from someone who usually has amazingly good ebay results, Sell them separately and start your opening bid at 99 cents.

The reason ebay is rife with "mouthbreathers who overpay for stuff" (↑) is because of two factors.
1.) The competition that builds towards the end when people who have been fantasizing about owning the item since the minute they laid eyes on your listing will not want to lose it and...
2.) Because people assume it's gotta be the lowest price because it's on Ebay, which amongst many other reputations, has a reputation for being cheap.

Since you have something that is in demand, (kenwood radios) its a safe bet they will be sold for more than they're worth but if you want any bids you have to start it out low enough to make people think they're going to get a deal.
Free advice ends here. Have a nice day.
ok.gif

StMiLo

Just some advice, if you actually want to sell those radios, you may want to set a more realistic price.

I think these are a great price for an auction starting bid for the pair considering the others I've seen on Ebay for the same radio.

$500 for two used, untested by a professional analog radios is a ripoff. One can buy a pair of seller refurbished digital portables for that. I paid less than your opening bid for a NEW Icom IC-F4161DS which is a modern iDAS digital radio with a full warranty for an Icom dealer.

That's why you might want to get in on the bidding, so you don't have to BUY IT NOW for $500. $250 sounds good for 2 radios w/accessories and a charger. You never know, if everybody had your way of thinking nobody else would bid. Then One bidder takes 2 great radios for dirt cheap as a bundle. BTW There's one used on Ebay going for down right $189. No Charger just the radio. And your radio must've been from an dealer on ebay with that price because new ones go for $450

Not trying to sound harsh, but reality is you have two well used radios that have not been bench tested on a service monitor by a professional radio tech and have used batteries, and are shiny with wear and tear.

What do you mean by bench tested, and how would I go about doing this? These work great. I literally just stopped using these for work. It's not like they have been sitting in my basement collecting dust for 10 years.

You may want to drop your price to about half that for that PAIR if you actually want to sell them. But then, it is Paybay which is ripe with mouth breathers who overpay for stuff.

yeah, I'm gonna let this one run its course just to see what happens? You never know right? If I don't sell them with this auction then I will throw them on Ebay again separately

Last edited:

svfd17

In order for them to be tested they would have to be taken to dealer or shop that has the proper equipment, It's important for radios to be properly tested to make sure they are aligned, as you have stated they were "work" radios so there could be issues that only a service monitor would be able to notice. If you decide to sell them without being tested then that lessens your chance of someone buying them because there are people (myself included) who wouldn't bid on a radio that hasn't been bench tested.

Sent from my C570 using this tapatalk machinery

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
What do you mean by bench tested, and how would I go about doing this? These work great. I literally just stopped using these for work. It's not like they have been sitting in my basement collecting dust for 10 years.

Tested by a qualified technician to verify it performs to factory specifications. In your price range, most buyers want a radio that a qualified person who has access to a service monitor (which can cost as much as a luxury car, for example: 3920B Radio Test Set - Aeroflex. Prices on these START at what I paid for my 2013 Hyundai Elantra and END at what a Lexus cost) to ensure it is transmitting on frequency, not putting out spurs, receiving with rated sensitivity, doesn't have any problems.

No offense, but someone who comes on here asking "how do I program my radio" is not the same type of seller who refurbishes these radios for a living and has all those expensive tools, training, and certifications to make accurate statements on how a two-way radio performs.

Educated customers buy the SELLER not the item. Sellers who do this for a living and are trained people can ask the premium prices you are for your used, unknown history radios. Also, having a history of selling similar items with stellar buyer feedback also builds buyer confidence.

Not trying to put you down, just trying to put your ideas in perspective.

StMiLo

Tested by a qualified technician to verify it performs to factory specifications. In your price range, most buyers want a radio that a qualified person who has access to a service monitor (which can cost as much as a luxury car, for example: 3920B Radio Test Set - Aeroflex. Prices on these START at what I paid for my 2013 Hyundai Elantra and END at what a Lexus cost) to ensure it is transmitting on frequency, not putting out spurs, receiving with rated sensitivity, doesn't have any problems.

Thanks for your honesty and I really do appreciate you explaining to me what has to be done... I'm going to look into doing the bench test so I know for sure whats going on with these radios. Since these are already up for auction I'm just going to let these ride the wave. Whatever happens, happens. At least I know now and I'm learning as I go.

StMiLo

In order for them to be tested they would have to be taken to dealer or shop that has the proper equipment, It's important for radios to be properly tested to make sure they are aligned, as you have stated they were "work" radios so there could be issues that only a service monitor would be able to notice. If you decide to sell them without being tested then that lessens your chance of someone buying them because there are people (myself included) who wouldn't bid on a radio that hasn't been bench tested.

Sent from my C570 using this tapatalk machinery

Where would I go for these radios to be bench tested? I don't know of any places around where I live that would do this type of testing.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Where would I go for these radios to be bench tested? I don't know of any places around where I live that would do this type of testing.

Any authorized Kenwood two way radio dealer can do a basic PM check. A reputable shop should not charge more than 1/2 hour labor only for just a simple PM test and tune (if needed). They should also give you a written report showing frequency error, deviation, measured sensitivity and power output.

I would start by Googling Kenwood Land Mobile Radio and your nearest large city.

StMiLo

Any authorized Kenwood two way radio dealer can do a basic PM check. A reputable shop should not charge more than 1/2 hour labor only for just a simple PM test and tune (if needed). They should also give you a written report showing frequency error, deviation, measured sensitivity and power output.

I would start by Googling Kenwood Land Mobile Radio and your nearest large city.

Does $50 each sound like a fair price to get these bench tested? I dont know what's the going rate for this type of work..

Status
Not open for further replies.