• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tk-730 Power on Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

KN4FCO

Premium Subscriber
I got the radio from a friend when I did it was programmed for just two frequencies, but was functional and did work. It is VHF 150-174 with dual remote heads. I had opened the radio up to look at it and tried to power it on after that but now the radio just powers on with a continuous tone and the screen never comes out of the initial power on test where it lights up the screen. It will go in to PG mode but when i try to read or write to the radio i get ER. I can clear the ER and I have tried over and over but I still get the same results. I have tried setting up a new dat file and writing it will no success. I have attached a link to the youtube video of what it is doing. If you can offer any help I would appreciate it. This is the only VHF mobile I have for my fire department.

Thanks

YouTube - Tk730 issues

NC4AB

Premium Subscriber
Reload the radio with the file you saved when you read the radio before programming it.

First rule of programming - ALWAYS save a file with the known good working data so you can reload it if neeed.

If you did not save the working file you will have to generate everything from scratch. This means single/dual head configuration, band, band split and control head type.

KN4FCO

Premium Subscriber
I hadn't had a chance to read the radio by the time the error occured. One of my friends has the same radio (they both come from the same person) and I tried to write his and I also tried to write a new file to it as well and it would not take. I am still getting ER.

NC4AB

Premium Subscriber
Back to the first rule of programming - ALWAYS read the radio first and save a file with the known good working data so you can reload it if needed. If you can't read the radio then there is an extremely good chance that you won't be able to program it either.

A codeplug from scratch is not very hard for the TK-730's:
Select either a basic 32 channel head or a basic 99 channel head
Select the dual head option
Select the correct band
Select the correct band split

program in a few channels and see if it works, but you might want to verify that your programming setup is functional by reading a known working radio. Also make sure the computer you are using is running in true DOS mode, no windows of any kind.

PM me if you need more help.

Last edited:

KN4FCO

Premium Subscriber
I have tried that and I am still getting an error when I try to program the new dat file I have the file from my friends who is the same so I am sure the equipment is good. Is there a way to update or write a new firmware to the radio.

NC4AB

Premium Subscriber
You don't have a firmware issue if the radio worked before programming it.
Have you checked your programming setup to make sure it will read and write to TK-730?
Also is the display showing "PG" before you try to load the file?

KN4FCO

Premium Subscriber
It does say PG and I am able to read and write to other tk730's

KN4FCO

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what the error is an indicator of. Is what it doing mean that its not programmed or that something has gone bad in the radio itself.

vorndamr

Kenwood with dual remote heads.

First did you change anything in the way the radio is wired or configured, such as remnove one of the heads? If so put it back the way it was. There are jumpers in the control unit of the radio that has been changed to make it a dual head. When you start to program the radio you must say what type it is under the model heading. TK-730 - VHF Band -- Dual Band -- DUAL HEAD -- ETC. Then try to program thre rest of the radio the way you want it. Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.