• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio595

This is my first post on this site and I want to start by saying THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me in the past. Ive been reading threads for a couple years now and have gotten all kinds of help with all kinds of problems but never had a need to register until now because I have always gotten help from existing threads.

now to get to my issue
Has anyone here cloned a TK-2312 with any luck? Im talking radio to radio cloning. Based on the service manual these radios are capable of wireless cloning.
I think I have a handle on the procedure but any info on that would also be great.

My real question is regarding the wordage in the service manual The way I read it, it looks as though after cloning the "slave" radio will loose its scan function? Is this true?

I would also love to know if these radios will also clone using a cloning cable and if that procedure is any easier or any different?

Thanks again and any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

DJ11DLN

I'll reply because nobody else has...but I'm afraid it won't be very helpful.

What are you wanting to do with your radios? I take it you have several you want all programmed the same way? My dept. bought several of these in 2011 because our old 260s and 270s couldn't do NFM, and the vendor threw in a programming disc and cable. I was completely unaware of any "wireless cloning" capability in these, not saying that you're wrong, just never heard of it. But then I don't have access to a service manual either. As far as radio-to-radio cloning via cable goes, I found it was easier to just program them from the computer. That way you can enter a different Radio ID and Welcome Screen (not being on the computer with the KPG software at the moment, I'm not sure of the Kenwood verbiage for these but you take my meaning) for each unit. This makes it easy to identify who it's assigned to, both visually and OTA.

As far as your question goes, since no one here has answered, I'd suggest maybe taking your query to a Kenwood service center...if it was general knowledge, your post would have been answered before now. I agree 100% in regards to the wealth of knowledge and really great folks on this site. Good luck.

BTW, we've so far had great service from these radios. They seem to be almost as good as the ones they replaced, which lasted 20+ years without a single failure that wasn't due to accident or user abuse.

Radio595

Thanks for your reply DJ. I agree these radios are great. I do have the service manual and I know that they are capable of wireless cloning however the manual states that it needs to be done by a dealer.
I programmed a radio for a client and He has a handful of them that he would like to all be programmed the same way. I believe they are tactical radios for a small fire dep.
Stay tuned I will be programming the rest of his radios in a week or two and I'm going to play with the wireless cloning and I will post the results for everyone on here. It's not a difficult procedure but I'm just unsure how it will actually affect the program between the master and the slave radio.

DJ11DLN

I will be watching the thread for your results. It's always good to know about equipment and its capabilities even if one isn't using every bit of it. That is my application as well, a small rural VFD, under forty FFs. Increasingly we're using them just tactically as well, since everything here is moving to the statewide trunked P-25 system (Safe-T). But they're fine units. I particularly like the unit ID function which makes it easy to track down who's sitting on their PTT button. I think most radios today have this but since we were upgrading from such older units, such things are still something of a novelty to us.

We sort of shot ourselves in the foot with our long-time local dealer who was more or less profiteering over the NFM switch and while we saved approximately $100/unit, he now isn't exactly friendly to our inquiries since he didn't get our business. So it has been something of a self-learning experience with these, but not too difficult as the KPG is fairly intuitive for something with so many options. My actual biggest problem with that is forgetting that I don't have to boot into DOS to use it. As far as the radios themselves go, we had one which would spontaneously go into STUN and would have to be re-programmed to get it to work. Since STUN and KILL weren't even set up (local dispatch isn't interested in doing it), after the 3rd time it did this I just disabled STUN and KILL and it has worked fine ever since. It was of course about a week after the warranty expired when it first happened. Other than that, exactly zero problems.

Good luck to you and I'll be watching for your results.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Has anyone here cloned a TK-2312 with any luck? Im talking radio to radio cloning. Based on the service manual these radios are capable of wireless cloning.
I think I have a handle on the procedure but any info on that would also be great.

I don't have one of those, but I do have the service manual in front of me. The function needs to be turned on in software to work. This is similar to the settings where you can allow or not allow the radio firmware to be upgraded. Some dealers might turn it off in the software to keep a customer from figuring out how to do it, and to protect their revenue. It sounds like it might be turned on when the radio leaves the factory.

My real question is regarding the wordage in the service manual The way I read it, it looks as though after cloning the "slave" radio will loose its scan function? Is this true?

I think you might be misunderstanding the service manual. What they are saying is that during clone mode, those functions keys won't do what they normally do. When the clone mode is over, they will work, but the function will default to off. You should be able to just hit the button and turn scan back on.

I would also love to know if these radios will also clone using a cloning cable and if that procedure is any easier or any different?

Thanks again and any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

I don't show any part numbers for a cloning cable. Since the radio is designed to do wireless cloning, it would be redundant. Usually the best way to do this is to use the programming software, that way radio ID's (FleetSync/MDC1200) can be changed for each individual radio. If you don't use those functions, then the wireless cloning would be suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.