Toms River area 217Mhz freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

fineshot1

OK - I had a hit on my OptoElectronics Scout 40 when passing near the tower by Route 9 & 571 intersection.
I recorded a lot of hits on 217.900 and after scanning around I am getting 217.900, 217.800, 217,700, 217,600 and 217.500 and they are pulsing short bursts(sounds like its un-modulated no audio) about every 2 or 3 seconds. Also noted a CW ID every hour about 3 minutes before the hour but the ID audio tone is so low its hard to make out. Anyone have a scanner that has this freq range in it program these in to confirm what I am hearing? I am running at home a RS Pro2042 and I was also hearing this stuff on my ham Icom 900A with the UX-39A 220mhz band unit. Sounds like a possible LTR Passport Trunk System.

fineshot1

Update

OK - I listened to the cw identifier on this system and decoded it to " PASSPORT " but can not find any info in the fcc db or anywhere on the fcc website about it. You can also scratch off the 217.500 freq as it must have been noise when I listened to that one - its not part of the system. I have not heard any voice traffic on this system as of yet.

EDIT: cw id is on 217.900

Last edited:

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I am hearing the same kind of noise on 217.900 and the CW ID at around the top of the hour. I live within sight of that tower, by HS North.

fineshot1

I am hearing the same kind of noise on 217.900 and the CW ID at around the top of the hour. I live within sight of that tower, by HS North.

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought I was loosing it when I first heard this as I have never
known any activity in this spectrum before. I was listening on a service monitor and I can
hear & see that there is a low speed data on these pulses(might be DPL but my service
monitor can not decode it due to the shortness of the pulses). Anyway the spectrum
chart I have says this freq range is usually allocated to " Maritime Mobile, Aero Fixed and
Mobile Telemetry - Interactive Video & Data Service ".

This is a strange one. :)

fineshot1

Update

This system is back on the air. I have not been able to check the cw id on 217.900 yet but i beleive it id's at about 46 minutes past the top of the hour now. I have not heard any voice traffic yet.

fineshot1

I just decoded the cw id at 9:48:40 and it id's as " TR " which I must assume stands for Toms River but have never heard of an ID as such - very strange.

EDIT: They(whom ever they are)must be working on it - the 217.800 repeater is off the air. Time = 12:00noon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.