Topeka Trunked System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehssooner14

Yesterday I took a trip up to Topeka and before I went I decided to program the Topeka/Shawnee County trunked system into my pro-97. I used the four control frequencies as seen below. The problem I was having was that the scanner would not stop on any transmissions in that bank when in scan mode. If I manually tuned it to one of the channels I could recieve transmissions and the Talkgroup ID info but when I put it back to scan mode it wouldn't stop on this bank. Is there something wrong with the way it's programmed?

Attachments

• topeka.jpg
    topeka.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 207

kskarma

Topeka/Shawnee County trunking...

While I am not familar with your Pro-97, I do monitor this trunking system with no problems. As you may know, there are a total of 15 frequencies available for usage, and the Control Channel is changed once a day normally. It does look as if the freqs on your list are the correct ones...and...you do have the system set up as a Motorola 800Meg Type 2 don't you??

In addition, if the Pro-97 is like the Bearcats that I use, I think you may need to have it set to "Control Channel Only" mode...or whatever the Shack calls that setting. Since you don't have the other 11 frequencies stored in your '97, this might be the seat of your problem.

If these 'basics' are correct, you should hear a lot of traffic on the two Police Dispatch Talk Groups..South 3888 and North 3856 and quite a bit on the Sheriff's Dispatch TG 4528.

I hope this helps..

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I'm wondering if your scanner acquired a CC. Checking my Win96 file for a trip through Topeka in late Sept 05, I have 860.4875 as a programmed control rather then 860.7375. They likely rotate them daily and if 860.4875 had duty on your day, the scanner would not trunktrack. My scanners were 2096 and 96 on that trip and haven't the faintest which control had duty on my trip.

BTW, we'll be going through Emporia in route to Rice County a week from tomorrow.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
ehssooner14 said:
Ok I'll try adding that other cc. Would it hurt just to add all the frequencies in there?
It won't hurt, but only necessary if the list is incorrect. The 95, 96/2096, 97/2055 and the new GRE 300/400/500/600 scanners ignore any frequency in Motorola Mode other then the active Control, which then decodes and directs the scanner to use the frequency match sent by the tower with the talkgroup. BTW, I think the tower sends the data out in HEX format and the scanner decodes and displays both to DEC.

I really don't know if database info is incorrect, because one of the other freqs could have been the active control when I passed through 2.5 years ago. I'm suspect that 856.8375 is never used as a control but it is likely used to transmit tower callsign with side duties for I-Calls if used. At least that is the way my similar smartnet operates however, only the School Board office rarely use I-Calls. Though did hear an off duty fireman I-Call his buddy one night from a local bar...advising him "ya better get down here, this place is jumping".:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.