Torn Between These Two Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Yeah you made the right move on the scanner,the Baofeng dont make an good scanner i know one General that owns 3 of these radios,he still a (Green Horn) to the radio hobby.......
you prob have a point. i also know a green horn. I look at his QRZ page, not one award and no DX contacts. shameful. you are right though, Baofeng is not a good scanner. but, it is all some people have so they have to make do.

Last edited:

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
OP, save some money up and get a scanner that will be enjoyable to use. You get what you pay for..

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
OP, save some money up and get a scanner that will be enjoyable to use. You get what you pay for..

if you can afford it, my advice is the 436HP. by far my favorite scanner. if i had to have only one because I did not work, it would be the 436. lol

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Well, I'm super happy right now.

I never ordered the BC125AT the other day.

Today i went on Amazon to order it, and it's on sale for $30 less! So, instead of $107 + tax it's $74 + tax. Isn't that some cool stuff! Just placed the order! For that price for the same price as the 75XLT I couldn't pass it up.

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC125...e=UTF8&qid=1488424958&sr=8-1&keywords=BC125AT

Awesome!

that is a really nice scanner. read some good things on it. at that price, i may get one also. have amazon prime and could get it by this weekend. i dont have this one so why not. thanks for sharing. great price. i can program all my air stuff, which is a ton around here, and use alpha tags. i like that

Muilisx

that is a really nice scanner. read some good things on it. at that price, i may get one also. have amazon prime and could get it by this weekend. i dont have this one so why not. thanks for sharing. great price. i can program all my air stuff, which is a ton around here, and use alpha tags. i like that

Yeah, I'm currently on the free 30 days of Prime. Prime is actually VERY GOOD. They NEVER fail. Also, Amazon has a contract with USPS for Sunday Prime deliveries so if you happen to place an order on a Friday you'll get it Sunday. I've also never had a prime shipment not arrive in 2 days. I ordered mine about 20 minutes ago. I'll have it Friday 100% with the mail.

I'm thinking about getting the Diamond antenna for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Orig...id=1488426117&sr=8-1&keywords=BC125AT+ANTENNA

However, I want to see if I can find it cheaper. If not, the money I'm saving can go towards the antenna. I read a bunch of times about how that antenna runs circles around the stock one. I'll prob use the stock one first as I teach myself the scanner but I'll most likely end up buying the better antenna for it.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I'm currently on the free 30 days of Prime. Prime is actually VERY GOOD. They NEVER fail. Also, Amazon has a contract with USPS for Sunday Prime deliveries so if you happen to place an order on a Friday you'll get it Sunday. I've also never had a prime shipment not arrive in 2 days. I ordered mine about 20 minutes ago. I'll have it Friday 100% with the mail.

I'm thinking about getting the Diamond antenna for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Orig...id=1488426117&sr=8-1&keywords=BC125AT+ANTENNA

However, I want to see if I can find it cheaper. If not, the money I'm saving can go towards the antenna. I read a bunch of times about how that antenna runs circles around the stock one. I'll prob use the stock one first as I teach myself the scanner but I'll most likely end up buying the better antenna for it.
agreed. prime rocks. not sure why my battery charger said monday, that was with prime. i paid the $6 and get it friday. for $99 per year, prime is worth it if you buy a lot of stuff. lol. if not, it will make you buy a lot of stuff. hahah. good luck with your scanner. i may get one also. order it tomorrow

Muilisx

agreed. prime rocks. not sure why my battery charger said monday, that was with prime. i paid the $6 and get it friday. for $99 per year, prime is worth it if you buy a lot of stuff. lol. if not, it will make you buy a lot of stuff. hahah. good luck with your scanner. i may get one also. order it tomorrow

yeah, the estimated time can be wrong at times. if it's a prime item, and you chose the 2 day shipping or 1 day shipping then you'll get it in 1-2 days.

Thanks! I'm totally new to this so I'll be spending some time with the manual as it's charging. I can't wait though I'm super excited. :)

I actually may still order that Baofeng UV-5R in the future just to have for fun as for some reason I like it, and a ton of people have them. I wouldn't mind getting my HAM Technician license. A cheap HAM radio like that could save your life one day.

Muilisx

Is the BC125AT really a good scanner for being an analog scanner? Is it a good first choice for sure? I'll be happy with it?

I just want to make sure it's a good first scanner. I know it's not digital or is trunking or whatever but those are way out of my price range. This very scanner was $120 with tax just yesterday normally $129.99 + tax but I just got it on sale for $74.69 + tax, just under $80.The BC75XLT is $80 + tax. This is the better model with 200 more channels and alpha tags. It also had a bunch of more features that I couldn't explain what they are or what they do as I'm just a beginner but I do plan to spend time with the manual as it's charging. However, I just wanted to know the opinion of all the people who are pros and know what all these features mean etc etc. As a analog scanner, is it a decent scanner? Is it too much for a beginner or should I be able to grow into it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bigcam406

you'll enjoy the scanner. easy to program, great sensitivity, alpha tags (so you can label your freq's),even comes with a manual. great price.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
yeah, the estimated time can be wrong at times. if it's a prime item, and you chose the 2 day shipping or 1 day shipping then you'll get it in 1-2 days.

Thanks! I'm totally new to this so I'll be spending some time with the manual as it's charging. I can't wait though I'm super excited. :)

I actually may still order that Baofeng UV-5R in the future just to have for fun as for some reason I like it, and a ton of people have them. I wouldn't mind getting my HAM Technician license. A cheap HAM radio like that could save your life one day.
you can view the scanner manual online and begin reading before it arrives. google mark's easier to read scanner manuals. there are others also. uniden prob has it on their site also. i would recommend that. another thing, watch youtube videos about it and you may find some that show programming and stuff like that. i always do this before one arrives. i have TWO 396xt's so decided to make one for mil air only rather than other this one. i have too many and ordering another seems nuts. but, i do like it and may end up ordering one anyway, for $75 u cant beat it.

my advise is ALSO to get your ham radio license. you can study online for the exam. get the baofeng and beging listening to your local repeaters. this will get you interested and motivated. but, to be a real ham, you have to move into HF at some point. help grow the hobby. also, learn morse code (CW). worse thing is to be a NO CODE ham. be a KNOW CODE. ))

if you need help, just ask. i dont have that scanner, but i could surely help you figure it out. welcome to a wonderful hobby. you will be hooked and ordering a 2nd 3rd and 4th scanner soon. lol. radio head like the rest of us.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
cool

anyone have this one?

almost forgot, other ops will warn you about charging the batteries in the scanner. i always did and never had a problem. but i only used a 3 hour charge each morning. i now have a battery charger. you may want to think about getting one. other forums for that, but the opus 3400 seems to be a great one. mine arrives friday. i tried the bc700 and maha and sent both back to amazon. just a thought.

Muilisx

you can view the scanner manual online and begin reading before it arrives. google mark's easier to read scanner manuals. there are others also. uniden prob has it on their site also. i would recommend that. another thing, watch youtube videos about it and you may find some that show programming and stuff like that. i always do this before one arrives. i have TWO 396xt's so decided to make one for mil air only rather than other this one. i have too many and ordering another seems nuts. but, i do like it and may end up ordering one anyway, for $75 u cant beat it.

my advise is ALSO to get your ham radio license. you can study online for the exam. get the baofeng and beging listening to your local repeaters. this will get you interested and motivated. but, to be a real ham, you have to move into HF at some point. help grow the hobby. also, learn morse code (CW). worse thing is to be a NO CODE ham. be a KNOW CODE. ))

if you need help, just ask. i dont have that scanner, but i could surely help you figure it out. welcome to a wonderful hobby. you will be hooked and ordering a 2nd 3rd and 4th scanner soon. lol. radio head like the rest of us.

Yeah, I have already watched pretty much all the YT videos on the scanner I can find. I skimmed the manual online but I'm going to wait for the physical manual to really dig into it. I really have no interest in learning morse code, and it's no longer on the exam thank god but hey maybe once I get the license, and meet people who's into the hobby and already know morse code maybe they'll get me to learn it or maybe I'll take a interest in learning it. When I think of morse code I think of the movie executive decision when they use it to let the others know they're onboard and not to bring the plane down.

I do plan to buy that UV-5R eventually so getting my license is something I want to do eventually. I'll probably do that once I move back down to FL. I'm probably going to just buy the UV-5R in a week or two just to have it because a part of me still really wants it even though I ordered the scanner. I'll be able to have ease of mind knowing I have it even if I keep it in the box for right now. If I do order it, I'll probably order the better antenna for it just to have it.

And, thanks for the welcome! I always wanted a scanner. I've actually had my eye on the BC75XLT for over a year now, and every so often I would stare at the Amazon page of it. I was going to order it but then decided on the 125AT. I was then going to order the 125 last night, and the night before but held off. Now I know why something kept telling me to do so. I went on today to pull the trigger, and saw it was cheaper than the 75XLT lol. I've always been into walkie talkies as a kid and stuff but I ALWAYS found myself just going channel up channel up channel down channel down looking for activity. I never actually had anyone to use the other one with me. I always just using it as a scanner if you will looking for something to listen to so I guess that's why I guess I always wanted a scanner. I'm pretty stoked right now for sure.

almost forgot, other ops will warn you about charging the batteries in the scanner. i always did and never had a problem. but i only used a 3 hour charge each morning. i now have a battery charger. you may want to think about getting one. other forums for that, but the opus 3400 seems to be a great one. mine arrives friday. i tried the bc700 and maha and sent both back to amazon. just a thought.

I plan to buy one of those wall chargers eventually. I don't mind the long charge times while it's in the scanner for the beginning. I was looking at these

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Re...=8-11&keywords=aa+rechargeable+batteries&th=1

or these

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Ch...=8-20&keywords=aa+rechargeable+batteries&th=1

I believe the scanner uses 2 AAs so that would work out good. I could have two in the scanner, and two always ready to go.

I also wish this scanner had a charging cradle like the Baofeng does but then again that's a radio, and that's probably why it has a cradle.

Last edited:

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I have already watched pretty much all the YT videos on the scanner I can find. I skimmed the manual online but I'm going to wait for the physical manual to really dig into it. I really have no interest in learning morse code, and it's no longer on the exam thank god. I do plan to buy that UV-5R eventually so getting my license is something I want to do eventually. I'll probably do that once I move back down to FL.

I plan to buy one of those wall chargers eventually. I don't mind the long charge times while it's in the scanner for the beginning. I was looking at these

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Re...=8-11&keywords=aa+rechargeable+batteries&th=1

or these

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Ch...=8-20&keywords=aa+rechargeable+batteries&th=1

I believe the scanner uses 2 AAs so that would work out good. I could have two in the scanner, and two always ready to go.

I also wish this scanner had a charging cradle like the Baofeng does but then again that's a radio, and that's probably why it has a cradle.

get the baofeng f9v2+. higher watts than the uv-5r. i have several and like that one the best. got it in blue, around $60 on amazon. never say never about code. as you become a ham and learn to respect the hobby more and more, you may decide to learn it, just because. one op on here will surely chime in about this, but he is a no code tech. take that for what it is worth. lol. cant wait to hear how you like the scanner.

Muilisx

get the baofeng f9v2+. higher watts than the uv-5r. i have several and like that one the best. got it in blue, around $60 on amazon.

Sure, spend more money :p

never say never about code. as you become a ham and learn to respect the hobby more and more, you may decide to learn it.

Indeed! I did say I might end up doing so.

but hey maybe once I get the license, and meet people who's into the hobby and already know morse code maybe they'll get me to learn it or maybe I'll take a interest in learning it. When I think of morse code I think of the movie executive decision when they use it to let the others know they're onboard and not to bring the plane down.

cant wait to hear how you like the scanner.

Me too!

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
get the baofeng f9v2+. higher watts than the uv-5r. i have several and like that one the best. got it in blue, around $60 on amazon. never say never about code. as you become a ham and learn to respect the hobby more and more, you may decide to learn it, just because. one op on here will surely chime in about this, but he is a no code tech. take that for what it is worth. lol. cant wait to hear how you like the scanner.

true radio heads dont worry about money. lol

Muilisx

true radio heads dont worry about money. lol

I usually don't care myself but when you recently just lost your Uncle due do his drug addiction which drove him to steal $30,000 from his nephew you end up not being able to buy toys like you used to anymore. Here I am buying stuff I can't honestly really afford at the moment when I should be using it for much more important things. However, life is truly short so do what makes you happy while you can. If buying a scanner makes me happy at this point in time by gollie that's what I'm fina do :)

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I usually don't care myself but when you recently just lost your Uncle due do his drug addiction which drove him to steal $30,000 from his nephew you end up not being able to buy toys like you used to anymore. Here I am buying stuff I can't honestly really afford at the moment when I should be using it for much more important things. However, life is truly short so do what makes you happy while you can. If buying a scanner makes me happy at this point in time by gollie that's what I'm fina do :)

agreed. u cant take it with you. my uncle just died, tons of cars and everything else. now the family sells it and enjoys the $. i will leave only radios and these are to be buried with me, just in case i need them!

Status
Not open for further replies.