TRX-1 EZ Scan LED Alert color settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpm3

I just completed the conversion of my older WS-1080 "codeplug" into a file via the TRX-1 EZ San program. Virtually everything was converted flawlessly; however the LED "alerts" were not displaying the previously set colors. Instead some remotely different color is displayed. I have tried turning the LED colors to "off" by deleting the color then resetting the color(s) to the one(s) I wanted (and was used to and recognized). This did not solve the issue. The color specifically selected using the TRX-1 EZ Scan program program is not what is displayed on the radio when active. There does not appear to be any consistent pattern to the difference to the color selected in the program and that displayed by the radio when the channel is active. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and, if so, found a way to resolve the issue? I'd like to correct this "problem" - it is pretty frustrating.

djeplett

The colors displayed by the TRX-1 have been noted to be "off" from what is shown in EZ-Scan. See post #5 from this thread:

dpm3

OK, I have found the info supplied valuable in that it confirms that the issue is a general one with the 1088/TRX-1 scanners and not just a defect in my specific unit itself. I have used the information supplied via the Johnny Dollar link and tried manually entering desired LED Hex Color Codes directly into the radio via the menu - not a fun or process. However, I still am not getting the LED alert colors I am trying to program into the radio - either by the sofware or doing it manually. Some of them are WAY off! Might I be doing this incorrectly or is there some technique that will resolve this Whistler 1088/TRX-1 issue? Has anyone found a work around or documented exactly which of the LED colors in the EZ Scan software will be accurately on the radio after the configuration is downloaded and the radio is operating? Thanks for your attention and assistance.

dpm3

By way of example (if it is of any help), my manually entered HEX code of #FFFFFF produces an LED "alert" that seems more close to #8EE5EE - a distinctly bright bluish tint. This may not be of any real help in resolving my frustration but thank you all for whatver advice and insight you might be able to share.

Ubbe

When I was experimenting with LED colors the values where not useable in the whole 0-F range. It started to be active from 3 or something and stopped having any action up at the A level or thereabout.

When you adjust the values in the scanners menu, for some reason they will be decimal instead of hex, it will be a live interaction so that the LED changes when you alter the values. You should be able to adjust RGB values to get the exact color you want. You can use Windows calculator to convert decimal to hex, it's just 10=A and 11=B and so on, or read the scanner with EZ-Scan.

/Ubbe

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have not yet seen a situation where colors are "perfect" on the TRI-colored LEDs used in scanners. The GRE made scanners had a single place that you could "tune" to what you want, but that is simply not available in the TRX-1 & TRX-2. Here's the color settings I found on the TRX-1 I programmed:

RED #FF0000
GREEN #00FF00
BLUE #0000FF
YELLOW #FF4F20
CYAN #00FFFF
MAGENTA #FF2060
WHITE #FF5070
PINK #D0365F
GRAY #803858
GOLD #FF4040
SILVER #A04060

What I had to do is: make a list of colors I wanted, figure out the values to obtain those colors, assign the values in my master document. Then I cut and pasted the channels from the master document into EZ Scan. I complained about this in my TRX-1 / EZ Scan review last year.

Swipesy

Thanks to Ubbe's method of determining Whistler colors this is what I came up. With Ubbe's method you can pick the shade that you like . My colors are slightly different than Gmclam, just a matter of preference.

Whistler Colors
ColorHex CodeRGB Code
Red#FF0000255,0,0
Green#00FF000,255,0
Blue#0000FF0,0,255
Yellow (school bus)FF4F0F255,79,15
Yellow (Orangeish)F84035248,64,53
Cyan#00FFFF0,255,255
Magneta#FF2060255,32,96
White#FF5060255,80,96
Pink#D0365F208,54,95
Gray#803858128,56,88
Gold#FF4040255,64,64
Silver#A04060160,64,96
OrangeFF3500255,53,0

Ubbe

TRX uses some sort of liniar device that converts the values to voltage or current so that 1=0,1mA and 255(FF)=25,5mA.
The LED doesn't start to emit any light until it gets into higher values so the lowest ones are unusable. It also fully saturates at 176(B0) or something like that so higher values than that doesn't change anything, it could instead reduce the life of the LED. But it's probably used so sparse that it doesn't matter.

The values could be different for different batches of scanners and models as Whistler might have slightly different working LEDs in different batches from the manufacturer. If the RGB LED's worked exactly the same over the production life of a scanner then Whistler could easily have adjusted the values to the correct ones.

/Ubbe

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have several scanners with the TRI-colored LED (PSR-310,410,500,600, TRX-1 to name a few). Not one radio matches another. Additionally, these settings change over time. Depending on the exact LED, some of the values will make the brightness "jump" while others produce a "ramp" of slightly increasing brightness.

In the GRE models there is a single place where 8 colors are defined and you can "tune" each. The TRX-1 has no such place and lets the user program each channel with one of 16.7 million values (not including flash rate, etc.). So, you must provide exact values for the radio being programmed FOR EACH CHANNEL.

dpm3

The information shared here by both Ubbe and Swipsey is most helpful. I experimented just a tiny bit by manually entering the Gold and White Hex codes into my TRX-1 and a few minutes of monitoring a scanlist proved that these Hex code values will produce the LED colors I sought. If there is a technique to enter these codes into the EZ Scan software I haven't been able to figure it out (admittedly I have a limited skill set in such technical matters). If you might be able to provide some guidance in that regard it (as well as what you both have already shared) would be much appreciated. Thanks

dpm3

I have several scanners with the TRI-colored LED (PSR-310,410,500,600, TRX-1 to name a few). Not one radio matches another. Additionally, these settings change over time. Depending on the exact LED, some of the values will make the brightness "jump" while others produce a "ramp" of slightly increasing brightness.

In the GRE models there is a single place where 8 colors are defined and you can "tune" each. The TRX-1 has no such place and lets the user program each channel with one of 16.7 million values (not including flash rate, etc.). So, you must provide exact values for the radio being programmed FOR EACH CHANNEL.

Are you indicating that in order to get the desired LED color it must be entered manually into the radio itself and not via the EZ Scan software?

Ubbe

I had it the wrong way around. On the scanner you fine tune the LED colors and THAT mode are in hex numbers, but you enter decimal in EZ-Scan.
You can have up to 16 colors that you can set your own values to. The preset colors that Whistler offers are fixed.

/Ubbe

Swipesy

Dpm3 there are two ways you can enter color codes using EzScan.
1. You can export your programmed TG from EzScan into a CSV file and then manually change the LED Hex code, such as one in my chart and then import the CSV file back to EzScan and then update radio.

2. In EzScan click on the LED color for a TG and add a color. Then using the Microsoft Color Chart select Add Custom Color and program the RGB code such as one in my chart. The color that appears will be funky but when it gets to the scanner it will be the color you want. You cannot permanently save your Custom Color in the Microsoft Chart. Always have to reenter the code once you close EZScan.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
dpm3 said:
Are you indicating that in order to get the desired LED color it must be entered manually into the radio itself and not via the EZ Scan software?
No. You can edit in either location. Obviously editing in EZ Scan is the way to go here.

Dpm3 there are two ways you can enter color codes using EzScan.
1. You can export your programmed TG from EzScan into a CSV file and then manually change the LED Hex code, such as one in my chart and then import the CSV file back to EzScan and then update radio.
This is what I suggest. But no need for CSV files. Just download from the scanner, edit each and every channel's LED settings, write back to scanner.

eryoung2k

Just did it using EZ Scan, finally got "not so EZ Scan" figured out!!! Terminology is very different with Whister, used to old school unidens which do seem like a Childs Toy compared to the TRX-1 Last uniden I had was a BC95XLT and I used ARC95 with it. Sold it on eBay seeing my town went digital. I always Archive before I change anything just in case!!

Status
Not open for further replies.