TRX-2 sd card issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve52001

Premium Subscriber
I just got my TRX 2 yesterday and set it all up. It wouldn't let me upload the SD card and put it back into the scanner with giving me the waiting for main unit message. I took out the SD card and put it back into my laptop to read and eject. Then I put it back into the TRX 2 and bam it worked ok. The last two times I decided to unplug the unit and move it, when I power it back up and would give me an error, yes I would power it down properly. Last error code is 03-01, does anyone think I just received a bad SD card? When I do get it going it works fine.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Welcome to the bad or flakey right out of the box Whistler Sim Card club
Had similar problems with my TRX's, replaced my them all no problem since
I see Whistler Wendy post " whose coming to Hamfest "
I think she should take her job seriously and at least say something, were not the only ones
experienced this issue

I just got my TRX 2 yesterday and set it all up. It wouldn't let me upload the SD card and put it back into the scanner with giving me the waiting for main unit message. I took out the SD card and put it back into my laptop to read and eject. Then I put it back into the TRX 2 and bam it worked ok. The last two times I decided to unplug the unit and move it, when I power it back up and would give me an error, yes I would power it down properly. Last error code is 03-01, does anyone think I just received a bad SD card? When I do get it going it works fine.

ve52001

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I was lucky and had a spare 4gb sd card that I found, formatted it and all good so far. I'm going to go get a good scandisk sd card soon. You know when spending 500 dollars on a scanner you would think they would put a better quality sd card in to prevent users from having issues right away. I know those things can be sensitive, but a good quality sd card usually doesn't give users problems. As far as scanner performance I've been happy so far, but have been reading posts and getting info from users on tweaking NXDN. I will try some DMR soon.

Last edited:

K9JLR

I received mine today, and had a similar issue. I reformatted the SD card using a different software program, not the Whistler EZScan software, then reloaded the database on the reformatted card and it has worked fine since.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
The card they're using are junk. For what they are selling name brand ones for and the price of theses scanners you think whistler could supply a GOOD quality name brand card and a better stock antenna.

SCPD

QRT
Nothing wrong with their cards and they are actually very well suited to the job at hand .. I have a number of them.

Doug .. you can borrow one of mine. But I am not delivering it. :D

IMG_07482_zpscymwffmp.jpg

The thing .. you will find that if you do recording of audio, the performance will actually decrease with the more expensive / faster cards and some will not work at all. People often wrongly think faster is better .. but in scanners absolutely not.

So be careful what you wish for.

ve52001

Premium Subscriber
The sd cards in that picture look nothing like mine. The sd card that came with my TRX is a non branded card. I figured if I went to go get a nice scandisk, I would be better off anyways.

Last edited:

QDP2012

...I see Whistler Wendy post " whose coming to Hamfest "
I think she should take her job seriously and at least say something, were not the only ones
experienced this issue

Without going too far OT...

I think most anyone who reads Whistler Wendy's posts in this forum will agree that she takes her job seriously. Remember, she has a boss, who probably has "some" influence on what Whistler Wendy is allowed to post on this (or any public) forum. If you have issues with how Whistler Wendy is, or is not, doing her job, it would be better for you to directly contact her, or her boss, instead of insulting her in this (or any public) forum.

If you are having problems with the Whistler products, including the SD cards used in their scanners, you should contact Whistler's Customer Service directly and let them know. Whistler Wendy has posted instructions on how to contact them, several times in this forum.

One opinion,

PlumCreek

Premium Subscriber
With my WS 1095, I had the same message and found that removing the head end and replacing it-make sure it snaps back in-that the unit worked properly. I did not mess with the SD card at all. The unit will not work without the front end securely in place.

Happy scanning with your TRX-2!

TAbirdman

The card they're using are junk. For what they are selling name brand ones for and the price of theses scanners you think whistler could supply a GOOD quality name brand card and a better stock antenna.
So, SanDisk cards are junk? That's what whistler has been shipping for a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I was lucky and had a spare 4gb sd card that I found, formatted it and all good so far. I'm going to go get a good scandisk sd card soon. You know when spending 500 dollars on a scanner you would think they would put a better quality sd card in to prevent users from having issues right away. I know those things can be sensitive, but a good quality sd card usually doesn't give users problems. As far as scanner performance I've been happy so far, but have been reading posts and getting info from users on tweaking NXDN. I will try some DMR soon.

I received mine today, and had a similar issue. I reformatted the SD card using a different software program, not the Whistler EZScan software, then reloaded the database on the reformatted card and it has worked fine since.

With my WS 1095, I had the same message and found that removing the head end and replacing it-make sure it snaps back in-that the unit worked properly. I did not mess with the SD card at all. The unit will not work without the front end securely in place.

Happy scanning with your TRX-2!

Just a guess, but I would put my money on the issue having nothing to do with the actual SD card itself, but the fact the SD card just needs to be re-seated properly in it's slot. If you read all the above, they were all removed and re-inserted (either same card or new card) and then worked.

I've seen bad "no-name" USB memory sticks that do not function very well in many PC's, but I've never encountered bad SD memory cards. I'm an IT guy, so I see a lot of both. ;)

I've only owned my TRX1 a few days, and I dropped it already. When I picked it up it had an error message on it. I pulled the chip out and pushed it back in, then powered it back on and it was fine. Maybe the card gets loose or something ?

The sd cards in that picture look nothing like mine. The sd card that came with my TRX is a non branded card. I figured if I went to go get a nice scandisk, I would be better off anyways.

hmmmm... The TRX-1 I just received last week, had a 4GB Sandisk branded SD card in it. It worked fine, but I replaced it with an 8GB card just so I have extra space.

K9JLR

Just a guess, but I would put my money on the issue having nothing to do with the actual SD card itself, but the fact the SD card just needs to be re-seated properly in it's slot. If you read all the above, they were all removed and re-inserted (either same card or new card) and then worked.

That did not work for me. I tried several fixes before reformatting the card, and it has been fine since.

Status
Not open for further replies.