TSA, analog inversion and 172.1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
But why, after all this push to Digital would the Fed's be migrating backwards? Especially the TSA?

I don't think this is "migrating". TSA operations continue to be P-25 as in the past, but these new Icom radios were additional communications for the security checkpoint personnel to talk to each other.

These radios are not replacing anything, just given smaller, cheaper radios to staff who would probably not have had a P-25 radio in the past. There is no requirement for interoperability with anyone except the other TSA checkpoint personnel. There was a federal purchase contract for small, lightweight radios, and apparently minimal security or encryption requirements, and these met the requirements.

Just found 'em in use in STL, ORD and IND today, so I suspect all the TSA airport screeners will soon have them available, if they don't already.

- Chris

KB1JHU

I can see the advantage of using Analog with inversion or rolling code over Digital. Man when Digital drops out, its gone! Whereas analog will continue to carry. Not to mention an iCOM analog is far less expensive to repair than a Digital radio. But why, after all this push to Digital would the Fed's be migrating backwards? Especially the TSA?

It's not really migrating backwards. I haven't been through an airport in a long time so I'm just going by what I read about this setup, but it seems that they are giving radios mostly to people who didn't have them before. The idea is that instead of the guys at the checkpoints having to yell back and forth to talk to each other, they use the radio.

RADIOGUY2002

Icom

Their are certain Icom radios that can operate in P25 and yes this is a big contract. Simple inversion is in a different mode or in combination with P25 channel layouts, it might be a sign of migrating away from motorola to icom p25 radios later down the road. You go with the best bang for the buck when you can get it in big contracts. That is kind of a no brainier for the government and its been done with a few other military based contracts. Read the Icom Press release files. See actual radio features that might replace the motorola radio, here http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/landmobile/p25/F9011/default.aspx

Corrected, missed the original post, jump the gun

Last edited:

KB1JHU

The Icom radios operate in P25 and yes this is a big contract. Simple inversion is in a different mode or in combination with P25. Unless they are not p25 radios, but as far as I was aware their p25 radios and if that's the case their just as compatible with motorola and the others that support p25. Their was a posting on a side by side comparison somewhere on the forums. You go with the best bang for the buck when you can get it in big contracts. That is kind of a no brainier for the government and its been done with a few other military based contracts. Read the Icom Press release files.

They're using Icom IC-F50's. Analog only.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The iComs are not for wide use by the TSA, these are as stated just for the screeners to have slightly more private comms than yelling Hey Joe, you got to see how this thing is working! For the rest of the main TSA operations they are still P-25. Remember that TSA isn't just airports. There is no information that they are using the iComs at Ports, Rail Ops etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.