Two brit hams arrested as spies in Albania . . . have a look at their gear . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
I suspect MI6, or any other major intelligence agency, would be smarter than that, and have much better tools at their disposal.

There's nothing magical about these radios. Yes, they'll do encryption, all the way up to FIP-140 AES-256, but just about any LMR radio is capable of that either via software or internal encryption module. Heck, even LTE cell phones have encryption. You don't need a fancy radio for that.

This is either legit hams that made a poor choice, or someone try to smuggle something. Like most things, I'm sure there is a lot more to this story.
Seems like a ploy for some sort of diplomatic pay off, NK style ***'.

wa88it

Premium Subscriber
if one wishes to be clandestine one publicly appears stupid...

"we're tourists and brought this in to keep in touch w/each other cuz we didn't know if our fones would work here..."

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
In looking at the photo, it's curious that the radios have plastic screen protectors and engraved numbers at the base (like they're new public service radios). The credit line is from Getty Images, via Media News Group (MNG), which makes me wonder if it's a stock photo. I'm not aware that MNG has an international presence, and certainly not in Albania.

1655132009725.png

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
In looking at the photo, it's curious that the radios have plastic screen protectors and engraved numbers at the base (like they're new public service radios). The credit line is from Getty Images, via Media News Group (MNG), which makes me wonder if it's a stock photo. I'm not aware that MNG has an international presence, and certainly not in Albania.

That's an excellent point.

ecps92

Google Image search says that photo is from 2021 when Delaware County issued new radios
Photo 7 in the news story

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Google Image search says that photo is from 2021 when Delaware County issued new radios
Good catch...typical media. Need a radio, Google for a radio. Insert image

And those guys have funny hats!

The stock image of a bunch of Kenwood NX portables seems to have gotten some creative ideas running on this. Perhaps this article might help:

Wow so basically saw some fancy amateur gear like in the photo and accused them on interfering with gov't freqs so confiscated. Like I said, many other countries don't share the share a "laissez-faire" type attitude when it comes to suspicious government concerns.
This appears to be the actual photos.... Seems the gear is still confiscated, probably to find out if it was indeed capable of monitoring gov't bands

2_FS-4fdQXsAIAmOg.jpg

2_JS268986295-2.jpg

wa88it

Premium Subscriber
sorry, let's reverse the scenario...image if you will...

russian/china/cuba/n korea/iran/syria tourists travel to DC or any state's capital and set their 'amature' transceiver to, quote: "...set up a new radio station to broadcast their signal to other enthusiasts worldwide."

me thinks all of this country's national level three letter agencies would be involved in talking to the 'tourists' about the broadcasting [eavesdropping] activities !!

and their trip could result they visit the pleasurable gitmo suite for awhile.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
A video "debrief" of a Parks on the Air activation on the National Mall in Washington DC:

KB2GOM

I sent the following email to the Mirror:

Is the picture of the radios an actual photo that the arrested hams had in their possession?

This is the story I am referring to:

Because:

https://www.delcotimes.com/2021/01/19/delaware-county-distributes-new-mobile-radios-for-every-officer/

So it rather looks like the editorial team grabbed a photo from elsewhere and represented it as the radios that the arrested hams had.

If so that is very sloppy and misleading journalism, and if not, a little further investigation into why Brit hams have encryption-capable commercial radios is in order?

I am very interested in your reply. Perhaps Mr. Warburton would care to chime in.

Cheers, Jock Elliott
Troy, NY USA

KB2GOM

The Mirror is not something I consider to be worthy of a read; more like a silly tabloid.

Nevertheless, if you're going to do a story, do it right. If you pick a photograph simply to represent two-ways radios, NOT the actual ones the hams had in their possession, they ought to say so. Period.

Having said that, decades ago, I visited a local store that was a newstand and also sold submarine sandwiches. While the proprietor was putting together my sandwich, I cruised the shelves, looking at the magazines and tabloids.

Finally, I came back to the counter. "Ned," I said, "Do you realize that one of your fine periodicals carries the headline 'I sold my baby to a UFO alien'?"

Unfazed, he replied, "Was it U.S. currency?"

True story.

K6GBW

So basically, some cops with a tenth grade education found some guys with stuff that they didn't know what it was and arrested them as "spies," as if there's anything to really spy on there. Then someone else with a little more education let them go. Why is this news?

majoco

Stirrer
The laws in Europe are far from the freedom we enjoy - someone may like to verify but I believe you cannot buy a 'general coverage' receiver there - they must only receive on the broadcast bands. Perhaps hams are exempt but I suspect the licence application goes further into the background of the proposer rather than our 'tick the boxes and pay the money' system.

".........The laws ......are far from the freedom we enjoy ........."

Oh true !

Many living in the First World have no idea what the 'laws' - if laws they are-- are like in a country like this. Accusations, arrests and detentions are common for many a thing we'd consider trivia- but this is deadly serious stuff in a lot of countries. Maybe too many are of the cruise ship mentality - visiting that quaint little place with the friendly natives , that they are going to be treated special when they step ashore- but like these poor fellow found out, that isn't always so.
Personal, I thk if you have a set up like chrismol1 posted you look suspect anywhere

[/QUOTE]

K3QQN

Premium Subscriber
Can't see a model number on those, but they have an emergency transponder button visible on one of the external mics. So, trunking, commercial grade Kenwood stuff? DMR? Anyway, I didn't look to see if Albania is on the CEPT list, but they should have at least checked with their licensing bureau before bringing that stuff. Either way, short range VHF or UHF and probably not related to espionage activities. The UK government is much smarter than to try to send 2 guys with something like those to do espionage.

K3QQN

Premium Subscriber
".........The laws ......are far from the freedom we enjoy ........."

Oh true !

Many living in the First World have no idea what the 'laws' - if laws they are-- are like in a country like this. Accusations, arrests and detentions are common for many a thing we'd consider trivia- but this is deadly serious stuff in a lot of countries. Maybe too many are of the cruise ship mentality - visiting that quaint little place with the friendly natives , that they are going to be treated special when they step ashore- but like these poor fellow found out, that isn't always so.
Personal, I thk if you have a set up like chrismol1 posted you look suspect anywhere
[/QUOTE]
The Albanians and many other Eastern European countries have very suspicious border patrols. You are correct.....just don't try crossing into their country with suspicious or stuff that might be questioned. They are not "free travel" areas and they watch foreigners and their own citizens too.

Status
Not open for further replies.