• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UHF TK-5310 and the ham bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

bar422

Does anyone know if the Kenwood TK-5310 UHF radios will do the 440 mhz ham bands? The radio is 450-520 mhz but alot of the the other Kenwood radios will do ham bands outside the split the radio is set for. Any help would be appreciated.--Thanks!

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the Kenwood TK-5310 UHF radios will do the 440 mhz ham bands? The radio is 450-520 mhz but alot of the the other Kenwood radios will do ham bands outside the split the radio is set for. Any help would be appreciated.--Thanks!

One of the band splits listed on a spec sheet I found shows 380-470. But I have a TK-3180 450-520MHz model and I've been able to program it down to ham just fine.

N4KVE

While I don't have experience with that model, I have used several Kenwood 450+ radios in the Ham band. a TK 830, & TK 840. The 830 was a little deaf at 442, but retuning fixed that. The 840 needed no retuning. GARY N4KVE

bar422

I've been able to program the TK-830 and 3180 down to 440 ham bands also with no problems but I didn't know if anyone had experience doing this with the TK-5310. I would think that it would but I wanted to find out for sure before buying one.

bar422

I can't believe no one knows for sure about this........I don't really want to buy it if it won't work for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated

phillydjdan

The TK-8180 will go down into the 440 band as well. It seems like most of these newer radios will do it. When I enter the frequency it warns me that it's out of band, but takes it anyway. In fact, my TK-860 also goes down to 146 with no problems after the same warning. Hopefully this leads you closer to a definite answer.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I believe it will. I have one here but havent actually put the freqs in yet but I believe it will take em. Still working out some issues with scanning.

Frank

bar422

I certainly appreciate the info. I have several Kenwoods so I have seen the "out of band" warning and then it will take it anyway and work just fine I just wasn't sure if the newer ones will still do it. Anymore input would be great as I will be looking to purchase one of these soon.

CALOES

Short answer: No

On the UHF band Kenwood made two different version of three different models. The radio you questioned is the "Type-1" which covers 450-520 ("T"-band). If you want 440 Amateur then you need the "Type-2" version which covers 380-470. If you don't need the higher "T"-band then the Type-2 is the version you want. There are three different models (six total) and two channel capacities (512 & 64) each version. Each version use different antennas and are tuned for their respective band. We have both versions and they work well. For more information check Kenood's website & download their PDF brochure.

BJG
A.C. Telecomm

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
That was the offical answer. Now myself i need a 450-520 radio as I use freqs in the 470 and 490 range. Mine does 440 with no problems and using the longer whip i really dont see much of an issue.

Frank

monitor142

I have no issues using 440 freqs in my 5310 (450-520 split); both in analog and P25 modes. As noted by others, could get numb at the bottom end of 440 but mine has been good.

-M142

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.