• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 Antenna For 800 Mhz Band

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Has there been an update to the Unication rep announcements regarding a newly designed G series antenna ?
Actually the 800mhz antenna with the blue band is an updated version from the original and works very well. You didn't specify which band antenna you wern't happy with. But good luck with an update. Unication hasn't given us much of anything as far as updates (except for Radio Reference import feature) in almost a year now. Several suggestions for improvements or bug fixes have been sent in with no response from Unication. I am still waiting since last November for a fix of my Amplified charger that they said they were working on. I sent for a return ticket to my dealer, and Unication came back to me and said hold off on returning it, they are working on a fix. :rolleyes:

900mhz

Actually the 800mhz antenna with the blue band is an updated version from the original and works very well. You didn't specify which band antenna you wern't happy with. But good luck with an update. Unication hasn't given us much of anything as far as updates (except for Radio Reference import feature) in almost a year now. Several suggestions for improvements or bug fixes have been sent in with no response from Unication. I am still waiting since last November for a fix of my Amplified charger that they said they were working on. I sent for a return ticket to my dealer, and Unication came back to me and said hold off on returning it, they are working on a fix. :rolleyes:
What abnormalities have you been experiencing with your amplified charger? Curious, because I have 2 of them which have basically become brain dead from the antenna port aspect.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
What abnormalities have you been experiencing with your amplified charger? Curious, because I have 2 of them which have basically become brain dead from the antenna port aspect.
That's exactly the problem. With my G5, I purchased the amplified charger specifically so that I can use an external UHF yagi plugged into the back for the 450-470 band. The charger injects RF into the G5 so high that nothing is readable on the 450 band using it. Full scale noise. I tried everything to troubleshoot the problen seeing Uni-Vacation didn't want to support their products. The darn thing isn't cheap either, as you know. I narrowed it down to the charging circuit inside the unit. If I disable the circuit, then it is fine. But what good is that, lol. I didn't force the issue because I still like charging my pager through it instead of using the USB port, risking wearing it out.
Sorry for going off topic here mods.
Bob

900mhz

That's exactly the problem. With my G5, I purchased the amplified charger specifically so that I can use an external UHF yagi plugged into the back for the 450-470 band. The charger injects RF into the G5 so high that nothing is readable on the 450 band using it. Full scale noise. I tried everything to troubleshoot the problen seeing Uni-Vacation didn't want to support their products. The darn thing isn't cheap either, as you know. I narrowed it down to the charging circuit inside the unit. If I disable the circuit, then it is fine. But what good is that, lol. I didn't force the issue because I still like charging my pager through it instead of using the USB port, risking wearing it out.
Bob
You are not off topic at all. Your experience mirrors my experience as well. Now, as far as I am concerned, external speaker option aside, the main attraction to these chargers is the ability to expand coverage by the external BNC antenna port. Unication needs to step up to the plate. Same results off of both my chargers, regardless if there is a G4 or G3. G3 is another issue...high noise floor. Great units, but the ancillary devices lack the same concern.

900mhz

There was, or is a Unication representative on this forum. Perhaps, a response from said individual would be appropriate.

quantar21

Bob
From what I understand...the G5 external antenna port and the antenna port on the amplified charger are only for the 7/800 band. UHF and VHF bands use an internal antenna in the pager housing.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
From what I understand...the G5 external antenna port and the antenna port on the amplified charger are only for the 7/800 band. UHF and VHF bands use an internal antenna in the pager housing.
Actually, no sir. I own the G5 and purchaced the Amplified charger for the external antenna feature. The antenna input on the Amplified Charger is meant to connect an external antenna for the secondary band. So for the G5 as I have, the antenna connector on the radio is for 700/800, whereas the rear connector on the Amplified charger is for the UHF band. The radio senses the amplified chargers' external signal Db increase and switches the radios internal UHF antenna to use the external connection. But the Amplified charger is useless pretty much for this because the charger injects interference into the radio that is so high, the UHF signal you are trying to receive would have to be very close to overcome it. It would have been a great feature.

Last edited:

quantar21

Actually, no sir. I own the G5 and purchaced the Amplified charger for the external antenna feature. The antenna input on the Amplified Charger is meant to connect an external antenna for the secondary band. So for the G5 as I have, the antenna connector on the radio is for 700/800, whereas the rear connector on the Amplified charger is for the UHF band. The radio senses the amplified chargers' external signal Db increase and switches the radios internal UHF antenna to use the external connection. But the Amplified charger is useless pretty much for this because the charger injects interference into the radio that is so high, the UHF signal you are trying to receive would have to be very close to overcome it. It would have been a great feature.
Any idea how the antenna circuit in the charger and the G4 work together? I would assume that the external antenna connection on the charger would improve the receive on the G4.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Any idea how the antenna circuit in the charger and the G4 work together? I would assume that the external antenna connection on the charger would improve the receive on the G4.
You're mileage may vary as they say, but most are having the same issue that I am and Unication has done nothing to correct it. It's been 5 days short of a year when I notified my dealer about the problem. Unication said to hang onto the charger, as they are working on the problem. So my answer would be, no I doubt if the charger will improve the receive on the G4. But I don't have the G4 so I would rather not speculate.

quantar21

I have an amplified charger on order for use with a G4 and will report back on what I find. On another note to others, I installed the KRA-32K antenna and noticeable improvement in signal strength. Yes Kenwood and EF Johnson antennas are compatible with the Unication connector, Motorola is not.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
That depends on the actual model number you have, not just the G5 series. (Similar to Motorola's schema.) They make them in various configurations.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
See this thread for more on this problem. I started this thread almost a year ago. Still status quo.