• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication *New* G4 and G5 pagers/ somewhat limited scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
If only the scanners worked as advertised! :)

Recording isn't all that important to me, but occasionally, I like to add some audio to video or photos that I shoot for some of the local fire departments.

if you just used a scanner you would have the record capabilities there or buy a Moto and hook it up to a PC full time and record on your windows machine, or maybe some SDR dongels see it would be so easy.

phirephoto

if you just used a scanner you would have the record capabilities there or buy a Moto and hook it up to a PC full time and record on your windows machine, or maybe some SDR dongels see it would be so easy.

It's easier to carry the G5 than most scanners. The size of the G5 makes it an awesome scanner.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Unication David, or anyone else that can answer,
What is the "User Defined" zone in the G5? How does a user define it? I get the impression from the name, that you could define a zone from the the buttons and controls on the G5, without using the PPS software.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
Unication David, or anyone else that can answer,
What is the "User Defined" zone in the G5? How does a user define it? I get the impression from the name, that you could define a zone from the the buttons and controls on the G5, without using the PPS software.
The user defined Zone is used primarily with the free scan feature of the unit it allows you to scan through the entire band and when the unit lands on a particular Channel it allows you to save that frequency in the user Defined Zone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Thank you.

The user defined Zone is used primarily with the free scan feature of the unit it allows you to scan through the entire band and when the unit lands on a particular Channel it allows you to save that frequency in the user Defined Zone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
I like my 436, except for its reception on simulcast here in the Twin Cities. I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm excited at the prospect of getting the G4 or G5- can't decide. Thanks to all for sharing this item and its capabilities.

cpetraglia

When I got my G4 they were both the same price. I should have gotten the G5. Things may have changed now. It's been a little over two months.

phirephoto

When I got my G4 they were both the same price. I should have gotten the G5. Things may have changed now. It's been a little over two months.

Yep, I don't recall the pricing now, but it's definitely higher for the G5 than it was right when the G5 was released.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
Can't wait, but I still need to test the 436 with a proper beam. My 800 MHz yagi arrives Monday. That obviously doesn't fix things when driving with the scanner.

I'm juuust starting to get the hang of programming in the post-analog, trunking world in which we live. I know, it's been a while. I'm a little scared of programming a system, like Minnesota's statewide ARMER. But I knew it would just take practice on my 436, so hopefully the G5 is not above me. As has been stated, and I agree, this product is not intended for your everyday scannist.

-Jay

cpetraglia

Can't wait, but I still need to test the 436 with a proper beam. My 800 MHz yagi arrives Monday. That obviously doesn't fix things when driving with the scanner.

I'm juuust starting to get the hang of programming in the post-analog, trunking world in which we live. I know, it's been a while. I'm a little scared of programming a system, like Minnesota's statewide ARMER. But I knew it would just take practice on my 436, so hopefully the G5 is not above me. As has been stated, and I agree, this product is not intended for your everyday scannist.

-Jay
I don't use Sentinal, but after what I have read, you should find programming the G4-5 a breeze. You really don't even need instructions. Everything you need is right here on RR and the PPS software just goes through it step by step. I am sure you can get any help you need right here. I also recommend using Ray's. He is very friendly and answers your questions quickly. I got mine from Ray.

D

darunimal

Ha you don't use Sentinel, wow if you: can't, won't and don't use it, how can you say something else is a breeze, comparing something you just click and add vs something you have to manually cut and paste and the latter is the easier one, I don't think so.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
I don't use Sentinal, but after what I have read, you should find programming the G4-5 a breeze. You really don't even need instructions. Everything you need is right here on RR and the PPS software just goes through it step by step. I am sure you can get any help you need right here. I also recommend using Ray's. He is very friendly and answers your questions quickly. I got mine from Ray.

Mainly, it was that I'm just not as confident with knowing how my state's system works. That's what RR and the wiki is for, I figure. Your response regarding actually programming the G5 is encouraging. And Ray sounds like the way to go.

cpetraglia

Ha you don't use Sentinel, wow if you: can't, won't and don't use it, how can you say something else is a breeze, comparing something you just click and add vs something you have to manually cut and paste and the latter is the easier one, I don't think so.
Its because I don't and wont ever own a X36 radio. Its because I have read all the complaints here about the software. I simply said the Unication software is a breeze.

phirephoto

Its because I don't and wont ever own a X36 radio. Its because I have read all the complaints here about the software. I simply said the Unication software is a breeze.

The x36 is a good scanner. And I think the software is decent. You can use other software too I believe, you'll just have to pay for it. The uniden software is free. But in reality you don't NEED software, the x36 comes pre-programmed with the entire USA database installed...

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Owing a BCD436HP (Sentinel), Pro668 (EZScan) and G4 (pps) i personally believe the G4 is not hard at all. I also think Sentinel is not hard either. I dislike the EZScan but again, thats just me.
I also work on radios and remember having to use DOS to program HT1000 and MTX8000 units then going to MTS2000, then XTS3000, then XTS2500 and finally APX units. So no matter what software you use theres always a learning curve in the beginning. Stick with it and learn how some of this stuff works and that in turn can help with understanding how programming radio systems works.

phirephoto

Owing a BCD436HP (Sentinel), Pro668 (EZScan) and G4 (pps) i personally believe the G4 is not hard at all. I also think Sentinel is not hard either. I dislike the EZScan but again, thats just me.
I also work on radios and remember having to use DOS to program HT1000 and MTX8000 units then going to MTS2000, then XTS3000, then XTS2500 and finally APX units. So no matter what software you use theres always a learning curve in the beginning. Stick with it and learn how some of this stuff works and that in turn can help with understanding how programming radio systems works.

Oh god yes, the Moto DOS RSS was a PITA.. Their Windows CPS got better, APX software was still pretty tricky. Harris RPM was pretty straight forward for me..

D

darunimal

They just went up, don't think they will be coming back down anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.