• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication *New* G4 and G5 pagers/ somewhat limited scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the sources that I know, they both told me to expect price drops. I'll have to believe them as I get more information from them, then I do from this thread.

kc2smb

Have a G5 and am very pleased with it. The P25 systems I scan come in as well as if I was listening on a Motorola HT. Programming is very intuitive. The charger amplifier is also well designed and built. If anyone needs dealer information I will share my dealers information. I do not know Unications policy on their authorized dealers selling regions and such, although I do know Unication has established a minimum pricing structure to maintain the integrity and support of the product. Makes sense when you think about it. Anyway, this is my dealer. Feel free to give him a call :
Northway Communications
56 South St
Glen's Falls NY
518-797-7077

Ask for Mike. He is in charge of sales.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I just realized that in the PPS software, you can move Zones up and down by right-clicking on a zone in the Zone No. column. Also, in case you didn't know, you can change the zone names from Zone # to something that will help you remember what you have in each zone. I'm up to 19 zones, so it helps to be able to describe them. Being able to copy and paste Zone/Knob position profiles and move zones up and down makes life a lot easier. I continue to really enjoy this radio, and I'm considering selling off some scanners to get a another G5.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
If only my still camera's shutter hadn't kicked the bucket a few days ago and needed replacement, I'd be looking at getting that G5 right now. Sucks, but it could be worse- could be raining. ;)

rreed4

Premium Subscriber
Ohio MARCS IP

I apologize if this has been previously discussed, but I am curious if anyone is using a G5 on Ohio MARCS IP? If so, how is it working for you?

phirephoto

I apologize if this has been previously discussed, but I am curious if anyone is using a G5 on Ohio MARCS IP? If so, how is it working for you?

If I'm seeing the right system in RadioReference, it's a analog system right?

Unless I missed how to do it, the G4/G5 won't do analog trunking.

kc2smb

CORRECTION

I had previously posted the contact information for the Unication authorized dealer I bought my unit from but made a typo on phone number so am reposting

Northway Communications
56 South St
Glens Falls NY
518-792-7077

Ask for Mike

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
There is a bug where if you are scanning a P25 system it acts like you are using the priority TG feature even when you are not. TGs at the top of the list are given priority, which is great if you want that feature but it seems to be stuck on by default.

Really hoping this is fixed in the next firmware update.

I may have missed it, but has this been addressed? It's very annoying and on a busy system makes scanning almost useless.

verhoffj1

Premium Subscriber
Relm /BK Radio KNG-P800

At IWCE last month, Unication told me Phase II would be "later this year". He was well aware that these devices could now be a big hit among hobbyists and said they were working on some improvements that would make the devices more scanner-like in terms of features and operation, while retaining their professional-subscriber-radio-like quality.

A Relm /BK Radio KNG-P800 can be purchased new with software, with Phase II enabled, for well under $2k, and has the ability to program in a true receive-only trunking mode (with no system keys needed) and operate just like a very high quality scanner, programmed with 16 systems and 5000+ channels. So Unication ought not raise their price too much more when they add Phase II.

Dan

Relm /BK Radio KNG-P800 can be purchased new with software from where? What is the price? Is the programming as easy as lets say a UNIDEN BCD996P2?

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Here's a review of the Unication G5 that I've been working on. I wrote it from the perspective of a scanner-head, so I didn't touch on the device's primary functions for users who are using it as a voice pager. When I first heard of the G5, I wasn't sure it was something that would help me as a typical scanner guy. I'm happy that I took time to learn more about it.

Unication G5 Voice Pager as a Scanner - Review

If there's enough interest, I'll try to flesh out more areas. I'm sure I didn't cover everything.

Happy Scanning,
Ben

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The G5 does P25 Phase 1 UHF......does that mean I could use it as a handy military DoD receiver........will it go down to 380mhz? :)

Paul

JASII

Memory Capacity
Here's a review of the Unication G5 that I've been working on. I wrote it from the perspective of a scanner-head, so I didn't touch on the device's primary functions for users who are using it as a voice pager. When I first heard of the G5, I wasn't sure it was something that would help me as a typical scanner guy. I'm happy that I took time to learn more about it.

Unication G5 Voice Pager as a Scanner - Review

If there's enough interest, I'll try to flesh out more areas. I'm sure I didn't cover everything.

Happy Scanning,
Ben

Ben,

Good job on the article. Keep up the good work. Maybe someone will come up with an
Easier To Read Unication G4/G5 Pager Manual similar to the
Easier to Read BCD436HP/BCD536HP Digital Scanner Manual!

Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

Jim

SCPD

QRT
Great write up!. The scanner makers really want to deal with systems that are simulcast. For people that have simulcast crap this is a good alternative. I would say it would be cheaper then buying a used Motorola and legally getting the CPS if you can buy it anyway. Free programming software makes the Unication a real deal. I like to monitor my local talkgroup most of the time so it would be on that 90% of the time. Has their been any firmware updates and how often to they get released. I must be nice to upload new firmware without a damn i-button and expensive CPS from mother Motorola. If I did not own lots of XTS, Astro mobiles it would be very tempting. If the Uncication can do P25 Phase II in the future and ARMER starts to migrate then I will burn a hole in my wallet and get one. Buying an APX even used on our favorite site and buying the CPS, would have to work 3 jobs and that ain't gonna happen. Thanks for giving us an awesome review of one.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I haven't see any firmware updates since I received mine a little over a month ago, but I believe they're working on some updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.