• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0NDO

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone got their hands on one of unications p25 radios, not the pager but the radios? If so what are your thoughts?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
This member has a U3...

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
This member has a U3...

Ah okay cool. I skimmed through that thread real quick, sounds like this won't be replacing Harris or Moto NAS radios anytime soon lol...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I held one at either APCO or IWCE this year, can't remember which one.

Nice feeling radio. An upgrade from the CCR's (that's not saying much), but not on the same tier as the big name brand radios (but darn close).

Talking with the Unication folks, they pretty much suggested it was a dead end product since they knew they were unlikely to take any market share away from the bigger name players. And there isn't enough market for a P25 radio for hobby/ham/industrial users.

The one they had was set up as a test device. They seemed to be marketing it as a tool rather than a radio. They were using the radio to test coverage by 'pinging' the radio system and recording RSSI along with GPS location. They had a piece of software that would plot it all out on a map for later analysis.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I held one at either APCO or IWCE this year, can't remember which one.

Nice feeling radio. An upgrade from the CCR's (that's not saying much), but not on the same tier as the big name brand radios (but darn close).

Talking with the Unication folks, they pretty much suggested it was a dead end product since they knew they were unlikely to take any market share away from the bigger name players. And there isn't enough market for a P25 radio for hobby/ham/industrial users.

The one they had was set up as a test device. They seemed to be marketing it as a tool rather than a radio. They were using the radio to test coverage by 'pinging' the radio system and recording RSSI along with GPS location. They had a piece of software that would plot it all out on a map for later analysis.

Something like this:

Attachments

• RSDMS Full Brochure (002).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 215

X9009X

I have 2 demo U3 portables. Batteries are trashed trying to get replacements to do some tinkering. The customer support in Ft Worth says they have them in stock, just awaiting there arrival.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 demo U3 portables. Batteries are trashed trying to get replacements to do some tinkering. The customer support in Ft Worth says they have them in stock, just awaiting there arrival.
Do you have the associated software package, or are the R3s just recording kmz / kml files? I'm curious about the pricing - I've made inquiries to two seperate dealers with no response. Perhaps the solution is not quite ready for market.

Last edited:

X9009X

Do you have the associated software package, or are the R3s just recording kmz / kml files? I'm curious about the pricing - I've made inquiries to two seperate dealers with no response. Perhaps the solution is not quite ready for market.
The radios are not FCC type accepted in the US. Only were made available to dealers for testing. Once I can get one to power up I'll share information.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

I don't know; if they came out with a decent quality radio in the sub-$1000 price range I suspect they could sell a pretty hefty number. A lot of the agencies in my county like public works, schools and so on would probably jump on them.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I don't know; if they came out with a decent quality radio in the sub-$1000 price range I suspect they could sell a pretty hefty number. A lot of the agencies in my county like public works, schools and so on would probably jump on them.

I agree, if they get accepted for use on the larger systems, like MPSCS, they would be great for those that don't need the pseudo hammer radios. (Busses, utility companies, mobile command posts, etc...)

trido

Premium Subscriber
If we are talking U3 they are FCC accepted I am looking at the FCC Label on the back of my U3.

FCC ID LEA-U3-UHF-MID
LEAU3-UHF-MID, LEA U3UHFMID, LEA-U3-UHF-MID, LEA-U3-UHF-M1D
Unication Co Ltd UHF PTT HANDHELD TRANSCEIVER WITH GPS AND BLUETOOTH U3-UHF-MID

Last edited:

VectorWave

I was on the Unication site watching a video about their signal booster product and they showed someone holding a Unication portable unit that is not listed on their site (or anywhere else). After some digging I found the unit on AliExpress (with the Unication logo on it). It's being sold/advertised as the "Communication Art U3". In the photos it looks like it's running some version of Unication OS. The shape is somewhat reminiscent of the XPR6550.

AliExpress listing: 60000.0US $ |Digital Multi Mode P25 Trunking /P25 Conventional/ DMR VHF/UHF /Low Band Handheld Radio|radio amplifer|radio frequency door lockradio military - AliExpress
Another listing: U3 Digital&Analog DMR/P25 Portable Smart Radio(For Military)(id:8896312) Product details - View U3 Digital&Analog DMR/P25 Portable Smart Radio(For Military) from Comart Co., Ltd - EC21
Another listing: 60000.0US $ |Low Band VHF 30 88MHz Hand Held Radio ,30 88MHz Digital Mode High Encryption Military Two Way Radio|vhf two way radio|vhf uhf radio antennavhf marine radio - AliExpress
Unication video (1:50): https://www.unicationusa.com/one-way-signal-booster

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this an official Unication product? I would have assumed it was IP theft but found it strange that Unication used it in their official marketing materials.

HTB16fcuKFXXXXcDXpXXq6xXFXXXw.jpg

HTB1rdKPIVXXXXXqXFXXq6xXFXXXz.jpg

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Not available in the USA, only out of Taiwan. This was discussed in another thread a while back.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I had my hands on one at either APCO or IWCE last year at the Unication booth. They have no plans to market it here in the USA other than as part of a coverage testing platform where it would check signal strength and record GPS location.

Not something that was going to compete in the US market against the big radio brands, and probably not worth the effort to support it locally with a small user base.

Status
Not open for further replies.