• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication Scanner Input Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Unication... DON'T FIX IT... IT ISN'T BROKEN... Best receiver hands down..
My G5 works for me as well, but I am definitely interested in seeing what the new firmware does for the functionality of adding talkgroup hold. Additionally, this thread is urging Unication to consider making a scanner. How can it be broken if it doesn't exist?

kuzikan

I agree with this, but that's just me
What if Unication uses the same quality and performance hardware but added features for the general public that the public safety sector does not need? I think if they try to modify the g4/5 software they might get push back from the public safety sector?

baj76

Uniden fanboy
like i said, my G4 works perfect for me, im a simple man with simple needs

kuzikan

I think if a person wants simple they have it and can keep what they have. There have been request for different features for sometime now and if Unication would want to develop and give options as a scanner platform I’m all for it. If they can deliver and keep the cost down that would be even better. This is why I suggested a app feature. That app could serve so many features. (Remote head for a base unit, gps, bt programming)

radio3353

What if Unication uses the same quality and performance hardware but added features for the general public that the public safety sector does not need? I think if they try to modify the g4/5 software they might get push back from the public safety sector?

I don't think so. As it exists now per the screen shots we have seen, the 'new' feature(s) Unication is testing is a separate selection in the menu from the existing feature(s). So public safety users will still have what they need and hobbyists can select what they want. Not sure if public safety administrators will be able to lock out the hobbyist feature.

kuzikan

Yes. Would almost certainly have to have two different firmwares. That is what I should have been clear on about modifying software. Tgid hold and tgid delay would be a benefit to a duty user but scanning multiple systems and other scanner like features would possibly cause missed fire tone outs.

scanmanmi

Back when I worked on an ambulance I said "Dang, I wish Motorola made a scanner" to which they quickly replied "Well, it would cost you $5K". I'm sure U will be about the same.

svrstorm

Back when I worked on an ambulance I said "Dang, I wish Motorola made a scanner" to which they quickly replied "Well, it would cost you $5K". I'm sure U will be about the same.
Yeah I like the g5 just the way it is but the software could be simple to use.

sfd119

Excellent idea! I would be in for both portable and base versions.

Like the Unication M2? I'd love to have this unit with GPS for a statewide radio system to monitor. Unit IDs, TG IDs, etc. This would be a killer NAF radio.

Reactions: wdz

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Wow - this is fantastic!

This is the right time and opportunity for Unication to bring a scanner to the market. I love my G4 because of the commercial look and feel, the stellar audio, and the perfect P25 performance. I've learned to work around the shortcomings with programming tricks, but it doesn't bother me - the unit is that good. Having a full featured scanner that performs the same way would introduce serious competition. For those who took a chance to buy a Unication pager - we already know how good they are. A scanner would open up that market to everyone else.

For Unication:

The Uniden x36 series was their first serious attempt at quality P25, but they were hit and miss. The SDS series seems to have solved the P25 problem, but that win has been (and still continues to be) marked by many quality, manufacturing, and recall/repair issues. The x36 series had similar quality problems. Whistler has not yet solved consistently good P25 decode, but their DMR and NXDN is successful. These are the current opportunities.

When I turn on my G4, I know that it will work, be tough, and provide perfect receive. That's what people want.

I don't know what is planned for a Unication scanner, but don't make it try to do everything. For example, I like to listen to military air on 225-400 MHz. I already have 3 great radios for that (Icom R6, Uniden 396XT & BC780XLT). I don't need and wouldn't expect Unication to deliver that.

I'm looking forward to whatever comes next!
Unication has previously stated that they have no interest in entering the scanner market. They make pagers for the fire service, period.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Unication has previously stated that they have no interest in entering the scanner market. They make pagers for the fire service, period.
Also, this. The G series pagers are about to get a whole lot more scanner-like, so I guess any previous statements made by them are no longer valid.

kuzikan

Luckily Unication is a worldwide company headquartered in Taiwan. Their website in Taiwan list more than pagers. Maybe Unication USA made statements in the past because Unication was not interest in scanner development at that time? With the recent posts from representatives it appears to me that things have changed. And that is a good thing. Competition can be a good thing.

rimedic

The Unication devices are available to anyone. They make pagers for wide variety of uses. The G series are not "fire service pagers". They are an open market and they are utilized by much greater audiences than fire service. I know of property management companies, tow companies, police agencies and a few taxi services that use them.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The Unication devices are available to anyone. They make pagers for wide variety of uses. The G series are not "fire service pagers". They are an open market and they are utilized by much greater audiences than fire service. I know of property management companies, tow companies, police agencies and a few taxi services that use them.
I was just quoting what a Unication Rep said to me when I made the suggestion that they should considering making a scanner.

GIVE IT A BREAK ALREADY AND MOVE ON!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That discusses changes to the G series pagers, nothing about them developing a scanner.
Right...changes to the G series "pagers" to make them a heck of a lot more scanner-like; which is clearly aimed at appealing to the scanner market.

I was just quoting what a Unication Rep said to me when I made the suggestion that they should considering making a scanner.

GIVE IT A BREAK ALREADY AND MOVE ON!
You're getting awfully wound up over nothing. A few of us are simply pointing out the obvious direction that Unication is now taking, so perhaps you're the one who might want to follow your own advice to "give it a break already". ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.