• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UNIDEN 885 Hybrid CB/Scanner: Best Choice for Road Trips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arudlang

It was a horrifying wreck, to be sure, but I'm sorry to say I'm just not convinced the presence of a few more CB radios would have made any difference before, during, or after.

We can assume that ballpark 75% of those 39 commercial vehicles had CB radios on-board, they didn't seem to be able to warn each other as rig after rig just kept barreling in there. They apparently were not sharing road condition information before the first metal made contact, which is what would have really been required for CB to make any difference in the death and expense toll. Communications would have needed to be somewhat already going before the first vehicle hit the second. Once it started you'd think at least one stopped rig would be intact enough to call out to any others listening, or maybe one that made it past the first couple cars unscathed traveling in the opposite lanes. Either they didn't think to do that or nobody was listening, or both.

I think that was the real shortcoming that made it so bad/involved so many vehicles, you can see in the video, there is no mentality of anybody trying to mitigate the ongoing event. You need that mentality from someone involved before any piece of equipment like a radio even matters.

Rather than standing there taking pictures and recording clips for a few seconds of fame, a better use of what ended up being the last few seconds of some people's lives would have been taking any available flare, flashlight, or even cell phone light if it's all you've got and running back up the road (on the safest outside edge of the ditch) waving your light and yelling, trying to give people a few more yards of warning to apply the brakes before joining the pileup, maybe at least make a softer landing. If even a couple people join you waving their cell phone lights you'd probably get enough attention to get the cars to reduce speed enough to be able to stop once the pileup appears only feet in front of them. It's not novel, you know how and why it just happened to you, do something to prevent others from getting into the situation.

I know it's easy to say as an armchair analyst way after the fact, like "I'm so smart and I've got all the answers", I don't, but I do think that's an awful lot of people for apparently none of them present to think "what can I do before more people come in here and wreck like I just did?" They didn't need radios to try to reduce the toll. If it were me, I'd rather have flares on-hand first, fire extinguisher & first aid as close seconds, and radio third. Ideally the priority would be reducing the number of cars continuing to get involved in the wreck (getting traffic to safely stop), and then rendering aid, and THEN if I have time and I know enough cell phones are already in contact with 911 maybe I'd think to radio you in the back to give you the convenience of taking an alternate route. Not being rude, just honest.

When it comes to after the fact people can probably get basic info from their cell phones no problem and basic AM/FM radio as backup. It's not like its a hurricane where cell service has been knocked out. Cell phones hold a pretty good edge in getting ahold of help and pointing EMS to where they are needed. If cell service is out then sure, radio is great. If other people are already on the phone with 911 then yes, I'd throw out some radio communication if I really had nothing else to do and no one else needed aid. It's at the very bottom of my priorities though.

slowmover

It would have helped. Again, that’s based on a quarter-century experience. It took only a few minutes for that pile-up to occur.

4-6 minutes and it’s over.

Note the very high ratio of trucks to cars. That’s unreal. Shows how heavily-trafficked is that road.

Its also possible one or more CB Rambo a-wipes were screwing things up on AM-19.

But that’s still not enough. The real problem is the fact of tailgating. Too fast for conditions.

Terrifically bad habits by all involved. Not accidental

None ready to back out of it.

One (just one) very large pack of 20+ vehicles described what happened.

Just one xtra-loud radio would have cut the tail off that pile-up.

1). Have to have the ears (antenna + DSP)

2). Have to be aware that driving by others in said manner leads to these outcomes.

It only takes once

Never ever be surrounded fore, aft and abaft.

Last edited:

slowmover

Afterwards is where CB shines for those who wish to help. Can be dragooned if necessary.

Where minutes — even seconds— count, a cell phone isn’t relevant as a tool.

CB is the only tool to leverage Who, What, Where in the immediate aftermath.

No other such radio comms exist.

There’s a high proportion of military veterans in trucking. Probably several there that day. Who’d have immediately understood the above.

Same for Boy Scouts.

Both of those are independent of family education. Toss that in (farm & ranch kids likeliest), same thing.

One man with a good radio can “speak” at a distance for his group of 5-6 trying to find tools to free trapped men & women out of crashed vehicles. (Breaker bars, come-alongs, chains).

In turn, that good radio at the other end can be heard by those right around him.

— BC906w keeps your big radio in action.

— Randy is getting closer-in (farther away) such that another can relay your info.

I’ve seen all of this, friend. Far rural Texas and the other Plains states don’t have the luxury of close-by emergency services. You have to get out and help.

Last edited:

slowmover

Randy is the short-cut tool to being of aid where others have gotten to the wrecked vehicles ahead of you.

Enables you to communicate what’s found to those stopped close and request what’s needed.

This is what’s currently missing in a highway wreck. Johnny-on-the-spot.

slowmover

Am slowly installing the U-885 in my pickup.

“Slow”, as I’ve assembled another three radio rigs that are getting some tests using the pickup as stationary stand.

The pickup itself needs work as to best performance, so I jump around from one thing to another.

Pics as I get a little farther along.

The U-885 and the U-bc906w wireless mic are to be the permanent radio rig — with a KES-5 speaker under the drivers seat — no matter what bigger radio set might be sitting in the passenger seat.

Separate power systems. Just swap coax from one system to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.