• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for advice for a new CB radio "system" for my pickup truck

niceguy71

Well, I finally got around to taking my new radio for a test drive. (Slowmover, you were right about a realistic time table) – All I’ve done so far is to throw the radio on the front seat with an electrical connection to the 12 volt outlet along with the magnetic mount on the cab roof for the antenna.

I was expecting the worst regarding electrical noise, but oddly enough I don’t hear any alternator whine or fuel pump chatter, just a staticky background noise which I think is normal. Sounds the same with or with-out the engine running.

I didn’t find any ham traffic within the allocated technician frequencies so no signal reports. For that matter, I did briefly cruise the local interstate highway (I-495) hoping to hear some traffic while monitoring 27.185 MHz. Only faintly heard some loud mouth a couple of states away so I guess I am receiving.

I noticed that when I transmitted (on the ham band!) the radio displayed some kind of cryptic message (Maybe “5WRHI” – see attached photo.) Can anybody tell me what that means?

I am totally clueless and the instruction manual isn’t much help….

If there is interest, More updates to follow, as they slowly happen.

Thanks,
JohnView attachment 167369
just curious now that you've had it a month how is everything working? what's your longest contact?