uniden 996/396 updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougjgray

It seemed like UPMAN talked abouth possible payed updates for the (996/396) may come about. maybe it would be possible to get sticky threads that people could indicate updates that they would be willing to pay for to ecourage upman to put in a good word for us with the uniden programmer dudes. for example Denver metro area EDACS systems are 1 by 1 going to using esk in the control channel. I would think that could be handled in the firmware fairly easily. that update is something I would be willing to pay for if resonable, and I would think If denver is doing it other agencies around the country would start electing that option on there radios, so I would think there would be a demand for it, just a thought :)

af5rn

What I wonder is if Uniden will actually stick with this plan and ability to update radios via software. Just seems to me that, in this cut-throat era of business management, they might decide to just make us buy newer scanners for new features, instead of simply upgrading the radios we already own.

jerk

I think Uniden is well aware of features that users currently want...
But the number one issue of sound quality seems to elude them. Uniden and us as the end users.

I'd worry about buying updates unless fully tested and hearing many good reports.
But I'm wanting good sound and a good balance between analog (soft) and digital (loud) sound.

Besides the things I want and Uniden can't or won't provide are currently available in a GRE scanner. That would be good (working) digital agc and sound, and NAC decoding.

dougjgray

well it sounds like a simple encryption of the contrl channel, but the 996 wont track it. But Im guessing that it can be trackable because GRE scanners and computer trunking system like etrunker will so I would think that uniden could modify the scanner software to track it or maybe not or maybe that will be in the new uniden scanners :)

Status
Not open for further replies.