BCT15X: Uniden BCT15X randomly stopped receiving. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

I can't help but wonder if some of these are like a Friday car. Just one in a lot that wasn't built and QCed properly.
I just bought a used one for a steal and it has power problems. Same sort of thing, but I am old hat with repairing such equipment.

merlin

I'm not sure then. I still haven't heard from them even after reaching out to the Uniden Rep on this site, and it's been over four weeks. I followed all their instructions on sending in units for repair so I'm not sure what's going on.
Decades back, I was an engineer for Wilson. We get a waranty repair in, If it takes a half a shift to fix or more, (Uusualy board replace) then we scrap the radio and send a new one. 2 weeks for the shipping. Don't know where a factory authorized cervice center may be. Back to Taiwan could be another month.

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
Decades back, I was an engineer for Wilson. We get a waranty repair in, If it takes a half a shift to fix or more, (Uusualy board replace) then we scrap the radio and send a new one. 2 weeks for the shipping. Don't know where a factory authorized cervice center may be. Back to Taiwan could be another month.

The service center I sent the scanner to was located on Roanoke, TX. This was as per their "send in for repair" forum. I had tracking on the package and it only took about five to eight days to arrive

merlin

Sorry, I don't know why it would take this long. If you have a phone number for them, I would give them a call.
The BCT15 I just got had nearly identical problems save for cycling the power, it went dead, no nothing.
Problem solved though, there is a 20 volt chopper/L boost runs from 6 volt bus. My case the chopper IC failed sucking the 6 volt down to 2 volt.
Cheating that gave me back power up and all seemed to work normal except no RF reception, not even from my generator.
Cheated the 20 volts and talked to the BC with my UV-5R and sounds good. My guess, the IC21 gets too hot and fails.
I was going to post a new thread of this but now can't find my microscope photos of this circuit. I just might engineer a healthier one for my scanner, there is a little more room with the shield removed. Not something for other than a skilled technician.

merlin

I'm still on the fence about getting a BC 15X, now, with all the issues of possible defective units. Could there be a common defect with this unit?
I wouldn't be. The model has been around since 2016 and with upgrades, one very nice capable scanner.

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
I'm still on the fence about getting a BC 15X, now, with all the issues of possible defective units. Could there be a common defect with this unit?

The BCT15X is a great scanner. Me and other towing industry guys use them frequently. My unit was probably just an unlucky defective unit. Uniden makes solid radios.

Just don't send it back for a repair if you ever want to see it again haha ;)

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
Hello hello! Finally I have an update for all of you about my unit!

I received my unit in the mail three days ago, but it looked like it was brand new! They packaged it up real nice.

Uniden didn't send any notes or indications about what had actually happened, but I guess they warranty repaired it without issue. The scanner is working perfectly now, and is back inside my rig where it belongs. I had such a tricky time putting both scanners together as I was only used to having room for one.

Upgraded equipment should hopefully help keep the scanner going this time. I've upgraded to a 32" whip antenna that sits off the roof of my van, rather than the stupid little stick-on one I was using before.

Long and short: we may never know what the actual issue was, whether it was the receiving chip being fried, a defective unit, or just bad equipment damaging the scanner. It's fixed now though!

Huge thanks to everyone who reached out to try and help me. If you've read my profile, I'm a younger man, just getting into the amateur radio world, so you can imagine my first big purchase conking out on me giving me a good scare. You guys rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.