Uniden BCT15x Tedious to program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Hahaha I lived in Westerly too back around 2004 to about 2006. We lived up high on School St. and I had my antenna up in an old pine tree.
I lived there from 1986 to 1991, off Beach St. not far from Westerly Hosp. I really miss being 10 minutes from the beach! :cry:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I lived there from 1986 to 1991, off Beach St. not far from Westerly Hosp. I really miss being 10 minutes from the beach! :cry:
Yeah I liked it down there. We used to go to the beach after work....a few minutes away. And those good Italian restaurants too. I very rarely even go down thattaway anymore.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You don't need to wait for the radio to use FreeScan. You can build your files now so you will be ready when the time comes...Mike

Nasby

Really, if you are happy only receiving analog and your PRO-2055 is working, there's no reason to "upgrade" to a BCT15X (unless you prefer the display or something like that).

The 2055 has the same basic receiving capabilities as the BCT15X. So you wouldn't be gaining any reception improvements.

I would skip the BCT15X, use the 2055 and save up for a digital unit. Then you would be gaining a lot more stuff to hear.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Really, if you are happy only receiving analog and your PRO-2055 is working, there's no reason to "upgrade" to a BCT15X (unless you prefer the display or something like that).

The 2055 has the same basic receiving capabilities as the BCT15X. So you wouldn't be gaining any reception improvements.

I would skip the BCT15X, use the 2055 and save up for a digital unit. Then you would be gaining a lot more stuff to hear.
Yes this is true. My thoughts were my 2055 is old. Has a few mushy buttons and the display goes out/fades every so often and I have to pull the radio apart and re seat the ribbon cable. And the attenuator control is really flakey. Keeps changing. I normally keep it OFF but for some reason on a few specific freqs I have to turn it ON to hear anything ....then the next time I listen I have to turn it off. I tried global OFF but doesnt matter. I think the radio has seen better days.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
You don't need to wait for the radio to use FreeScan. You can build your files now so you will be ready when the time comes...Mike
Would it be possible to get a little advice on where to begin doing this? Have no clue.o_O I am able to IMPORT from Radio Reference......the Bristol county, Mass data but not sure how to add another group, the Mass State Police data as well. There are a lot of options that I dont understand. For example if I try to download Mass State Police data....a ton of data comes thru but Freescan tells me that it has a limit (for the 15x) of 20. So I have to uncheck a bunch of them. Gonna need hand holding for this!

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You should be able to just re-import the next system you want - just remember that it must go to its own system, which gets its own set of quick keys. If that doesn't make sense.....

Before you go further, I would start by reading what I supplied a few messages back. To understand what you need to do, you need to understand how DMA works and the terminology. To put it simply, you will need to create systems and groups for anything conventional in nature, systems, sites and groups for the trunked systems

Yes there is a limit as to how many groups the 15X can hold per system. This is in the FreeScan User guide which is also available in our wiki. Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would start by reading the Easier to Read manual and the trunking links supplied in the wiki. This will give you a good foundation from which to start...Mike

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I would start by reading the Easier to Read manual and the trunking links supplied in the wiki. This will give you a good foundation from which to start...Mike
I have been reading the stuff you guys recommended......I seem to have a better grasp on importing a few separate conventional systems from this site into Freescan. Maybe what I will do when radio gets here is program just a few systems of conventional freqs......then later play around with trunked. I can see how much easier it is with a program. It puts everything in there for you. I went thru and edited some of the systems....removing freqs I dont use. So eventually I will have just what I want with no duplicates or stuff I dont need to monitor.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Also set up your system keys
Think of SYSTEM KEYS like a RadioShack BANK NUMBER.
I just read that setting quick keys should be set up right away. I could even do an excel sheet to keep things straight. I am still trying to figure out the cable and what kind of adapter I will need. My computer has no 9 pin serial port. Just USB so it is confusing if I go to the store to ask for a 9 pin to USB adapter, how do I know it is wired to do what I need it to do so it will connect the radio & PC? This seems like a hurdle that I may have to wrestle with. I did look on Amazon and they do have serial to USB adapters cheap. So I am hoping thats all I will need and the cable that comes with radio will work OK with adapter.

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Bob you will still need a 9 Pin Male to 9 Pin Female Serial Cable that will go from the USB ADAPTER to the scanner
Whats confusing is I dont know what the cable looks like that comes with scanner. And I dont see where you plug cable in scanner except for the rear 9 pin serial port. But I read that you need to plug cable to port in FRONT of scanner. I dont see any port in front ! OK let me get this straight.....the scanner COMES with some kind of CABLE. But I also need a serial to USB adapter....AND a 9 Pin Male to 9 Pin Female Serial Cable ??
I suppose you can still get the 9 pin cables. I havent used one since 1999 when I ran packet radio. Best Buy would have them. So I need 2 cables and adapter.......thats a LONG connection.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.