Uniden BCT15x Tedious to program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It looks like you are programming the Bristol/Plymouth site closest to your location in Cranston, RI. That site does not use any rebanded 800 MHz frequencies. You should use the standard band plan for that site. It does not require a custom band plan. A Motorola Type II system 800 MHz system may require a custom band plan for a site depending on the frequencies used. You can set the band plan to standard for the Bristol/Plymouth site and ignore entering a custom 800 MHz rebanded band plan.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
It looks like you are programming the Bristol/Plymouth site closest to your location in Cranston, RI. That site does not use any rebanded 800 MHz frequencies. You should use the standard band plan for that site. It does not require a custom band plan. A Motorola Type II system 800 MHz system may require a custom band plan for a site depending on the frequencies used. You can set the band plan to standard for the Bristol/Plymouth site and ignore entering a custom 800 MHz rebanded band plan.
I just followed the instructions on a Youtube video.....but the guy said to MAKE a custom band plan which I did. But still not working right....getting low signals and static. So I will delete this system and start a new one but I am not sure of the EXACT steps! The "easy to read" manual is not helping me cause it doesnt explain in detailed steps. It says to edit this and that but without clear explanations. Easy to READ but not UNDERSTAND!

tvengr

Well Known Member
In spite of what the video may say, set the band plan for that site to standard. It does NOT require a custom band plan. A custom band plan is required only if you have certain 851, 852, and 853 MHz rebanded frequencies. The scanners were not designed for trunk tracking those frequencies. I have to leave for now. When I get back, I'll use one of my older scanners and see if I can take you through step by step. Unfortunately, I do not have a BCT15X. Please let me know what questions you have about programming the scanner.

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
In spite of what the video may say, set the band plan for that site to standard. It does NOT require a custom band plan. A band plan is required only if you have certain 851, 852, and 853 MHz rebanded frequencies. The scanners were not designed for trunk tracking those frequencies.
OK thats good to know. But the Easy to read manual is confusing as far as having to set up "site" and "group" after you get system set. Not sure how to follow this. I need something more detailed step by step. I understand how to set this system up as standard but there are too many confusing steps! Programming conventional is just simply "system, group, frequencies" and you are done....but MOTOROLA throws in an additional thing to do..."SITES" which compounds the confusion.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I was feeling ambitious and ended up manually programming a system of 40 conventional frequencies with their ctcss and dcs codes.
Good for you! :) That gives you a leg-up on me. I've never manually programmed any of the 6 computer programmable scanners I own. I don't even think the G5, which is technically a pager, has the option.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
OK thats good to know. But the Easy to read manual is confusing as far as having to set up "site" and "group" after you get system set. Not sure how to follow this. I need something more detailed step by step. I understand how to set this system up as standard but there are too many confusing steps! Programming conventional is just simply "system, group, frequencies" and you are done....but MOTOROLA throws in an additional thing to do..."SITES" which compounds the confusion.
All trunking systems require at least one site. Conventional systems do not use sites. Sites are a container for the trunking frequencies.The LTR system you programmed before must of been entered as a conventional system and not LTR.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And just a small correction - the 15X is quite capable of trunking rebanded systems, so long as you supply the required custom table. If the database entry has a warning about rebanding, most all the apps (FreeScan, etc.) will apply the correct table if you have a premium subscription that allows you to download the programming directly....Mike

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
And just a small correction - the 15X is quite capable of trunking rebanded systems, so long as you supply the required custom table. If the database entry has a warning about rebanding, most all the apps (FreeScan, etc.) will apply the correct table if you have a premium subscription that allows you to download the programming directly....Mike
Well since I dont have the cable to transfer data from Radio Reference database (radio to computer serial cable) I figured I would try and learn to program this radio manually since I want to use the radio and I would learn something about it. I was able to do the firmware update but it told me I had the latest update anyway. Everything else I programmed manually was easy except for motorola. I still dont have a clear step by step idea how to do it right.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Well since I dont have the cable to transfer data from Radio Reference database (radio to computer serial cable) I figured I would try and learn to program this radio manually since I want to use the radio and I would learn something about it. I was able to do the firmware update but it told me I had the latest update anyway. Everything else I programmed manually was easy except for motorola. I still dont have a clear step by step idea how to do it right.
Please post the Motorola system RadioReference database link so we can advise on the site type.
The LTR system you programmed before will not work correctly and will not track the trunk system since the system was entered in as a conventional system and the frequency LCNs were not entered in.

tvengr

Well Known Member
According to the owner's manual, the band plan for the Bristol/Plymouth site is 800/900 Standard. Since there are no rebanded frequencies on that site, it does not require a custom band plan.
003 (3)Bristol/Plymouth CountiesStatewide859.8375c859.2875c858.3625a855.9125a855.8875855.6625855.6375

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
According to the owner's manual, the band plan for the Bristol/Plymouth site is 800/900 Standard. Since there are no rebanded frequencies on that site, it does not require a custom band plan.
003 (3)Bristol/Plymouth CountiesStatewide859.8375c859.2875c858.3625a855.9125a855.8875855.6625855.6375
OK these are the same freqs I used but with this new radio I cant tell if I am programming it right cause I dont know how it behaves scanning trunked system. Plus a step by step instruction would help! I had planned to make a new "system" with these freqs and quick key of 5.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Please post the Motorola system RadioReference database link so we can advise on the site type.
The LTR system you programmed before will not work correctly and will not track the trunk system since the system was entered in as a conventional system and the frequency LCNs were not entered in.
Here is the LTR system I programmed but I am sure I programmed it as LTR cause just checked it. It seems to be working OK. The talk group ID's show up when it stops on active freq. There are only 3 TGID's in this system. And I did enter freqs in "LCN" order but I may not have done it right. I thought when it prompted me for LCN number that meant the logical order of the freqs...so for the FIRST freq in group (859.8375) I entered LCN number as "1' cause it is the FIRST frequency in order......and I numbered the remaining 9 frequencies in order, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9.

Attachments

• aci.JPG
    aci.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Here is the LTR system I programmed but I am sure I programmed it as LTR cause just checked it. It seems to be working OK. The talk group ID's show up when it stops on active freq. There are only 3 TGID's in this system. And I did enter freqs in "LCN" order.
Sorry about that. You are correct.

tvengr

Well Known Member
My BCD996XT was released about the same time as your BCT15X. Hopefully, the programming will be similar. When I program a new system, The system type is MOT. Press E to confirm. Scroll to Edit Name and press E. Enter the name and press E. Scroll to Edit Site and press E. Select New Site and press E. Scroll to Edit Name and press E. Enter the name and press E. Scroll to Edit Band Plan and press E. Scroll to 800/900 Standard and press E. Scroll to Set Frequencies, press E, and enter the frequencies. I left out the step to set the quick key.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
The Easy to read" manual mentions LCN but doesnt seem to say WHAT is is or how to use it! So I guessed it might mean "logical order" cause LTR system the freqs have to be programmed in a certain order.
I am starting to think the "easy to read" manual is more "less confusing" than "easy to read"!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
My BCD996XT was released about the same time as your BCT15X. Hopefully, the programming will be similar. When I program a new system, The system type is MOT. Press E to confirm. Scroll to Edit Name and press E. Enter the name and press E. Scroll to Edit Site and press E. Select New Site and press E. Scroll to Edit Name and press E. Enter the name and press E. Scroll to Edit Band Plan and press E. Scroll to 800/900 Standard and press E. Scroll to Set Frequencies, press E, and enter the frequencies. I left out the step to set the quick key.
OK I will try that right now thank you....I DID miss this post!:oops:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The Easy to read" manual mentions LCN but doesnt seem to say WHAT is is or how to use it! So I guessed it might mean "logical order" cause LTR system the freqs have to be programmed in a certain order.

You are correct in LCN is the Logical Channel Number. On the BCT15X, it's not the order the frequencies are entered. After entering in the frequency you should see a "Input LCN" prompt. Input the LCN there. In the RadioReference database before the frequency is the LCN.
Example: 01 935.750

Status
Not open for further replies.