• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden PRO401HH handheld and... nothing.

Smithee

Been out of the CB world for about 20 years (Though previously had been active since the late '70s). And then, on a "Road Trip" a year or so ago bought a new Uniden PRO401HH handheld at a truckstop. $69 as I recall. An then.... nothing. I've carried it on several "Road Trips" since then. Up and down I-65, I-75, between Georgia and Indiana/Ohio, and across I-74. At BEST, even with squelch set just above static, it might break squelch for an occasional word or two.... if I'm in a lane practically right next to a big rig.

For the past two weeks, it's been sitting in an upstairs window. I'm in the Atlanta area, as the crow flies about 3 mile N of I-285, 5 miles W of I-75 and 2 miles E of US-19/GA-400, all of which are major truck routes. Set to CH 19 and... nothing. ever.

QUESTION:

Is the PRO401HH just a piece of crap? And/or maybe I just got a "Lemon"? OR,

Maybe it just needs tuning/tweaking/"peaking" from a CB shop? That was fairly common back in the day, but is that even POSSIBLE with modern handhelds? OR,

Are the CB airwaves, especially CH 19, just that "dead" these days?

smittie

Premium Subscriber
I just completed a trip across Montana. I-90, I-94. Plenty of trucks. No CB traffic except for the ones I called up, asking about their load or where they were from. Short, pleasant conversations. Direct and to the point.
There was more chatter on GMRS in areas where there were repeaters.

Smithee

I'd always thought CB would eventually fall by the wayside in favor of GMRS.

7 or 8 years ago I bought a Midland XT-511 22-channel GMRS "portable". I think really more of a plastic "toy" than a serious radio I would want to depend on, but I didn't want to get too invested in GMRS at the time. I think it was maybe $100 or so. I listened to it for several road trips and a bit of chatter around campgrounds and large gatherings, but nothing from any truckers on the road.

But... that was a while ago. It's been sitting unused in the garage for at least 5 years. Maybe I need to dig it out again.

KE5BCP

Analog Man
Been out of the CB world for about 20 years (Though previously had been active since the late '70s). And then, on a "Road Trip" a year or so ago bought a new Uniden PRO401HH handheld at a truckstop. $69 as I recall. An then.... nothing. I've carried it on several "Road Trips" since then. Up and down I-65, I-75, between Georgia and Indiana/Ohio, and across I-74. At BEST, even with squelch set just above static, it might break squelch for an occasional word or two.... if I'm in a lane practically right next to a big rig.

For the past two weeks, it's been sitting in an upstairs window. I'm in the Atlanta area, as the crow flies about 3 mile N of I-285, 5 miles W of I-75 and 2 miles E of US-19/GA-400, all of which are major truck routes. Set to CH 19 and... nothing. ever.

QUESTION:

Maybe it just needs tuning/tweaking/"peaking" from a CB shop? That was fairly common back in the day, but is that even POSSIBLE with modern handhelds? OR,

Fun little radio! I'm sure it's location dependent as far as the amount of chatter you will hear, but make sure to have an outside antenna attached, and to not use the dummy load ducky that comes with it.

smittie

Premium Subscriber
I didn't hear any truckers on GMRS. In bad weather or when there is an accident or some other obstruction on the road, channel 19 will light up like a hotel switchboard. Otherwise, not a lot of traffic.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
ysf=15783 truck and travel, also dmr=31663. been heaing a few truckers that are hams on those specific tg's. And some on gmrs around DC area now and then

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
QUESTION:

It's all about the antenna. No amount of voodoo will allow 108 inches of antenna to work well when you try to cram it down to a few inches of flexible antenna. Just not going to happen. Try connecting it to a proper external antenna, if you do that, then:

You'll still probably not hear anything. Like others, I did a few roadtrips from California to Texas and back taking various routes at different times of the year. With a good radio and a proper external antenna, it was still quiet. I did hear a bit of traffic, but not much.

Remember, the 1970's and 1980's were a L-O-N-G time ago. The CB craze died off with polyester leisure suits, 8 tracks and bell bottom pants. It's long gone and it ain't coming back.

If you are in the right places at the right times and you have a good antenna, you may hear truck traffic, but many of those guys are running crappy radios with even crappier antennas, so being within a mile or two would be necessary.

Some truckers do have decent radio setups, but in my experience, it's not a common thing.

No. Most of the hacked peak-n-tweak jobs do nothing for the receiver. They are just looking at boosting transmitter power, which still won't do you much good with that stock antenna, and it won't help you hear more. If you really want to get into CB as a hobby, it might be something to consider, but make sure you find a competent tech, not some guy in the single wide behind the truck stop. Also, you'll want a better radio.
But then you'll have a radio and still not hear much.

My experience, yes. Again, some areas, at the right time, you ~might~ hear some traffic. Or, you might hear the loudmouth guys talking skip, which isn't much fun to listen to.

If you want to do this, you need a decent antenna, but don't expect much. I never installed a CB in my current truck, just wasn't worth it in my opinion.

slowmover

Antenna is make-or-break.

These days I’d add that integrated DSP is almost as important.

I use CB 300-days/year at 10-12/hrs. The right rig you’ll converse with those that others can’t hear. Or be heard by.

Comparisons to yesteryear haven’t meaning.

niceguy71

I love handheld CB's... my addiction... I have over 40 of them... 30 different models so far... I plan to do a lot of power and range tests on them if I ever get my base station up.... I read all about them and watch YouTube Range tests and read all the reviews... I buy the service manuals for them to see what make them tick. so, I read and play with a lot of them.
there is a couple of idiots on YouTube that try to talk to people with a 401HH and no one is even talking to them LOL they say can I get a radio check then skip rolls in and they say oh thank you I can hear you clearly, then they look at the selfie camera and say great radio.... I've never seen anyone talk to anyone or back to a base station using a 401HH.......
I have NEVER seen a good review of the Uniden Pro401HH or the newer Uniden 501HH .....one of my best ones is a President Randy FCC 2 that cost $164..... the Uniden Pro401HH is sold on e-bay for $42 bucks it even comes with batteries and free shipping from China!!!!.... I hate to say it , you get what you pay for... i know you paid $69 but they typically sell for under $45 bucks... I bought a brand new one on E-bay for $ 25.00 ... for the price I just couldn't not buy it... but it's still in the box as I really don't expect to transmit of receive more than a 100 feet and don't want to kick myself for buying a useless brick..... maybe I'll be surprised... but I highly doubt it.
I didn't see anyone saying you can't use a handheld in a vehicle with the rubber ducky antenna??? I'm sure someone must have said it... but it just won't work... even with the window open and the antenna out the window they don't work from in the vehicle.... you can buy an auto CB antenna and a BNC Male to UHF PL-259 Male CB Radio Antenna Connector Adapter to make it work with the 401HH.... when I get a chance, I'll put it on the power meter and see what it puts out for watts.. most handhelds put out 2 to 3 watts... the really good ones will modulate up to 6 or 7 ( my President Randy FCC 2 comes set at 3.3 watts and swings up to 5.5 watts) but the Randy receives really, really well... most cheaper handhelds don't receive worth a darn.
if you want to try a mobile antenna I would suggest the Tram 3500.... it works well and is only $42.00 with free shipping and this company didn't even charge me taxes..... 3,500-Watt 26 MHz to 30 MHz Heavy-Duty Trucker CB Magnet Antenna Kit - 727932012276 worth a try. good luck

Smithee

Yeah, I paid $69 for the Pro401HH. Or something close to that as I recall. I bought it at a truck stop as an "impulse buy" without shopping around, and of course everything costs more at a truck stop.

I made the mistake of thinking that if it's for sale in a truck stop, then it's something that 'serious' truckers would buy.

niceguy71

Yeah, I paid $69 for the Pro401HH. Or something close to that as I recall. I bought it at a truck stop as an "impulse buy" without shopping around, and of course everything costs more at a truck stop.

I made the mistake of thinking that if it's for sale in a truck stop, then it's something that 'serious' truckers would buy.
you're not out much money... so no harm done.... pick up a cheap mobile antenna like the link I gave you above. also pick up a SWR meter to set it.... and see if you can listen from the car so you can see if this is something you want to get back into,,, cb is not like it used to be.... even the truck drivers are not bothering with CB's and channel 19 much anymore.... and lately there is a guy with MEGA wattage ( in the thousands and thousands of watts range I have actually heard 30,000 watts but can't believe it) he is just talking away on Channel 19 all day so no one can get traffic alerts, directions, detours, or even say hello to someone with in 5 miles... all you get all across this country is one idiot that is bending every ones signal meter and talking foolishness. ..... so for $69.00 you might be far ahead of everyone else.. but for another 50 bucks pick up a mobile antenna and do a little playing.