Uniden Repair Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmerjrusa

I appreciate the info on the your HP2, and although I would consider 5 weeks a "success story", my question about repairs that "went well" is focused on the SDS series, since, for some reason, they appear to be the most problematic in many of these threads, perhaps due to the newer technology involved.

= reason I've not sent my SDS100 back to them for repair😁

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Just got off the phone Uniden yet again. Looks like my scanners are still showing "in progress" in their system. From what I have read from some of posts in this thread, some of you have been waiting just as long as I have to get their scanners shipped out back from repair. I hate to rant but this really sucks! I can't even check the status on their repair site, let alone get a straight answer from their reps. I wish there was a direct line to the repair shop to speak one on one to a tech. I would bet their phone would be ringing non stop hence the reason its not set up like that. We should all get a free SDS for our time spent waiting lol.

thom

Premium Subscriber
Well, after 7 weeks in Texas, my SDS200 is to arrive here on Wednesday. The reason I know this is because FEDEX sent me a tracking number. I received no email or other info from Uniden.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Apparently my 436 never made it past Saddle Creek folks. So have opened a case with Uniden. I'm owed a scanner now. Shipped it in Feb., got proof from UPS it got to Saddle Creek. Never heard from Uniden ever. And that was also when the CC I had suddenly got hit with fraudulent charges and I had to replace it. Its now end of May.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Apparently my 436 never made it past Saddle Creek folks. So have opened a case with Uniden. I'm owed a scanner now. Shipped it in Feb., got proof from UPS it got to Saddle Creek. Never heard from Uniden ever. And that was also when the CC I had suddenly got hit with fraudulent charges and I had to replace it. Its now end of May.
That's a shame.

Either it "disappeared" from the Saddle Creek receiving office, or it was incorrectly passed on to another business in the complex, that either failed to report & return it, or someone there absconded with it. Hope they replace it for you, without holding up for months 'looking' for it.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Good thing is it was signed for. So that person could find themselves in hot water.
Never send anything without requesting signature upon delivery!

danesgs

Parts delays happen even without a year of a pandemic. I was service manager at Heathkit in the 1980's. We would have parts delays made known to us from the vendor after I had told the customer 1-2 weeks for a repair. I would call the vendor and ask for an ETA and get "we don't know" which is not a good answer but honest. Its called the supply chain. Folks up and down that chain get frustrated as much as the customer because they may have multiple units waiting for the same part. Sometimes we could sub a third party part in but that was not always the case and we were not the only folks that thought of that so then the third party part goes on back order. Replacing an entire unit with a new one can put a company into foreclosure then down the road they go out of business and your radio has no one to repair it anymore.

Have been on both sides of this fence and its never easy.

Greg-KJ4DGE

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Parts delays happen even without a year of a pandemic. I was service manager at Heathkit in the 1980's. We would have parts delays made known to us from the vendor after I had told the customer 1-2 weeks for a repair. I would call the vendor and ask for an ETA and get "we don't know" which is not a good answer but honest. Its called the supply chain. Folks up and down that chain get frustrated as much as the customer because they may have multiple units waiting for the same part. Sometimes we could sub a third party part in but that was not always the case and we were not the only folks that thought of that so then the third party part goes on back order. Replacing an entire unit with a new one can put a company into foreclosure then down the road they go out of business and your radio has no one to repair it anymore.

Have been on both sides of this fence and its never easy.

Greg-KJ4DGE
My case is NOT a "parts delay", and has nothing to do with the "chip shortage". My scanner was most likely stolen by an Saddle Creek employee, and the CC info on the repair form stolen to do credit card fraud. The scanner then was most likely thrown away, as the issues that it was sent in for repair for made its use too much of an PITA unless you loved it. Not only the dim backlight, possibly the missing part on the motherboard, but the USB port had been damaged and you could ONLY use battery power, and manually program. It never got to Uniden, has never been in the system they use to track repair status etc. As this is on the company Uniden uses in some convoluted shipping BS, instead of actual direct shipping, then it is on Uniden. So yes, if they can not recover the scanner, and repair it, then they damn well better replace it, INCLUDING the NXDN, and DMR upgrades I paid for. And they better damn well be quick about it. I have shown more patience on this than anyone should. I did not even start worrying until nearly the end of April. Then I had medical issues and spent a week in the hospital, and a month in nursing home for wound care and rehab. Now its the end of May. 3 months.

Last edited by a moderator:

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
My case is NOT a "parts delay", and has nothing to do with the "chip shortage". My scanner was most likely stolen by an Saddle Creek employee, and the CC info on the repair form stolen to do credit card fraud. The scanner then was most likely thrown away, as the issues that it was sent in for repair for made its use too much of an PITA unless you loved it. Not only the dim backlight, possibly the missing part on the motherboard, but the USB port had been damaged and you could ONLY use battery power, and manually program. It never got to Uniden, has never been in the system they use to track repair status etc. As this is on the company Uniden uses in some convoluted shipping BS, instead of actual direct shipping, then it is on Uniden. So yes, if they can not recover the scanner, and repair it, then they damn well better replace it, INCLUDING the NXDN, and DMR upgrades I paid for. And they better damn well be quick about it. I have shown more patience on this than anyone should. I did not even start worrying until nearly the end of April. Then I had medical issues and spent a week in the hospital, and a month in nursing home for wound care and rehab. Now its the end of May. 3 months.

I really sorry to hear about scanner and health milf. I think Uniden should send you a upgrade (an SDS100). Hopefully they figure it out.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I really sorry to hear about scanner and health milf. I think Uniden should send you a upgrade (an SDS100). Hopefully they figure it out.
LOL! Upgrade would be nice, but I will settle for another BCD436HP with DMR and NXDN. My new TRX-1 does pretty good, but it does not do system analysis, LCN finder for EDACS, LTR, DMR, NXDN. Does not tell difference between Con+, Cap+, T3, or fully properly trunk track DMR or NXDN, etc... It does have the one feature that SHOULD have been included in the X36 series: feed of data out to use with analysis software. And the TRX-1 is useless on true Tier 3 DMR.

MStep

I understand that you shipped via UPS. Although it was signed for, I'm curious as to whether it was insured with UPS for it's true value? If so, UPS may not necessarily be "off the hook" if the item was delivered to the wrong entity within that complex of buildings. Is the receiver's signature legible? Sometimes a receiving clerk has a rubber stamp to "sign for" incoming parcels, which sometimes also includes the company name.

You may have mentioned it, but if you have not already done so, also open a case with UPS. If UPS claims they delivered, but Uniden says they did not receive it, the issue then becomes between UPS and Uniden. BUT, that may only be of worth to you if you insured your parcel for the value of the product. If not, I believe that UPS is only responsible for the first $100, which I believe it automatically covers. Whatever the case, I would file a claim with UPS nonetheless, and that should put more pressure on Uniden to resolve the issue.

I would hate to think that with all the other problems at the Uniden repair facility, they have a thief in their employ that absconds with radios and credit card numbers. However, if that were the case, I think we would be hearing about many more "lost" radios and credit card frauds here on the forums.

I know this is an expensive proposition whenever we ship items, but you should always insure your parcel for its correct value.

Last edited:

MStep

That's a disgrace!

It's been no secret here, that it might appear to some that Uniden is running a sloppy and slipshod repair operation, at least as far as scanners are concerned. Might be interesting to look at any comments that have been made about their Radar-Detector repairs to see if there are similar complaints . For scanners, incoming repairs erratically being acknowledged, customers sometimes getting notified when repairs are complete; other times not, and being notified by the shipper rather than Uniden. Turn-around times of seven weeks, sometimes more. (My AOR had to go all the way back to Japan, and the turn-around time was 5 weeks.) I heard something about a new computer system being installed at Uniden to track repairs which may not be working properly. Some units (fortunately it seems a low percentage) coming back not repaired. For whatever reason, Uniden seems to have fumbled, if not completely dropped that ball. It's time for them to step up to the plate and own up.

It would appear that for some unfortunates here on the board, instead of Uniden Repair Facility, it might more aptly be referred to as the Uniden Despair Facility.

RMason

Premium Subscriber

I have seen cases on the forums where “the customer was waiting for the repair and the service dept was waiting for the payment for the repair.”Since there were issues with your credit card about the same time, is it possible that Uniden never received payment? If that is the case, I would agree that they should have reached out to you….
Good luck getting this resolved.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber

I have seen cases on the forums where “the customer was waiting for the repair and the service dept was waiting for the payment for the repair.”Since there were issues with your credit card about the same time, is it possible that Uniden never received payment? If that is the case, I would agree that they should have reached out to you….
Good luck getting this resolved.
Uniden in writing on their site states they will send you a card with a number on it upon receipt of your scanner for repair. I never got that notification, or any notification, or notice of declined payment for the $89.00. it is not in the computer system by SN/ESN etc... The signature is in big ole caps. I will have to see if I did full insurance or not. But there is a digital paper trail up to Saddle Creek. Then it is like magic. Poof! Gone!

rcid1971

Premium Subscriber
All of these Uniden Repair war stories, can anyone recommend good 3rd party Uniden repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.