Union county

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenomorf

Did some testing with the Remtronix antenna today. Picked up ACSO just across the border just fine (data wise, the channel is ENCRY). Also picked up some VHF digital in Ouachita Parish just fine. What is interesting is that I brought along my RH77CA and swapped it on the same frequencies. Remtronix is obviously better for 700/800mhz but I'm starting to think that its better for all around digital too. There's no 800 analog to test but UHF analog sounded horrible on Remtronix but sounded fantastic on the RH77CA. Same for VHF. I need to bring the little 125AT for a true test as we all know the SDS100 is not good on lower analog spectrum frequencies (on average).

Let us know how it works for you.

Side Note: I can pick up Huttig and Sunshine AWIN sites from here. I haven't heard a peep on Huttig even though the CC, Site number, ID, and the rest of the data shows that it is indeed that site. However, Sunshine is always busy. I thought of this when downydigs said he had issues picking up Huttig. I almost said "me too" but I wanted to be sure. Now I am. Is that normal? Keeping in mind I'm down in northern Morehouse and only "test monitor" AWIN from time to tim
Did some testing with the Remtronix antenna today. Picked up ACSO just across the border just fine (data wise, the channel is ENCRY). Also picked up some VHF digital in Ouachita Parish just fine. What is interesting is that I brought along my RH77CA and swapped it on the same frequencies. Remtronix is obviously better for 700/800mhz but I'm starting to think that its better for all around digital too. There's no 800 analog to test but UHF analog sounded horrible on Remtronix but sounded fantastic on the RH77CA. Same for VHF. I need to bring the little 125AT for a true test as we all know the SDS100 is not good on lower analog spectrum frequencies (on average).

Let us know how it works for you.

Side Note: I can pick up Huttig and Sunshine AWIN sites from here. I haven't heard a peep on Huttig even though the CC, Site number, ID, and the rest of the data shows that it is indeed that site. However, Sunshine is always busy. I thought of this when downydigs said he had issues picking up Huttig. I almost said "me too" but I wanted to be sure. Now I am. Is that normal? Keeping in mind I'm down in northern Morehouse and only "test monitor" AWIN from time to time.
if you can get close to huttig you should hear same traffik as sunshine.

downeydigs

I just received my Diamond RH77CA to bridge the gap on VHF. It does very well on analog VHF high. I may run up to Ashley Co and see how the VHF DMR does. If the Remtronix doesn't help you with that, the RH77CA should. In theory these apparently are the two best handheld antennas that people are talking about.

Either way, the stock antenna is only good for a backup. That I AM sure about at this time.

I’ve been running the Remtronix antenna for roughly six weeks, and I have to say that it is an all-around huge improvement over the stock antenna. However, my reception at home is still spotty at best; I’m missing a lot of traffic on all frequencies. I receive great from inside my house when positioned near a south-facing window, but my kitchen and living areas are on the north side of my house. I receive 800mhz AWIN fairly well from the right side of my living room recliner, but do not receive any VHF from that position. I can receive VHF High fairly well if I move the scanner to left side of my recliner, but then I no longer receive the 800mhz. Just when I think I’ve figured out the sweet spots, I guess the atmospheric conditions change causing the sweet spots to change, as I’ve noticed differences depending on cloud cover, rain, etc. It has to be a geography/elevation issue. I’m going to try the Diamond antenna, and then possibly a splitter before I proceed with setting up a base antenna. I’ve been watching eBay for a good deal on a SDS200 just in case.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Watching RSSI and other data on both the SDS100 versus the SDS200 you may or may not see much of a difference. It's a good radio for sure but mine are nearly identical on 400/700/800mhz bands with the same antennas.

A base antenna will be a large help. You must live in the sticks (compared to the transmitters) or have major anti-radio materials in your walls. Or both.

downeydigs

Watching RSSI and other data on both the SDS100 versus the SDS200 you may or may not see much of a difference. It's a good radio for sure but mine are nearly identical on 400/700/800mhz bands with the same antennas.

A base antenna will be a large help. You must live in the sticks (compared to the transmitters) or have major anti-radio materials in your walls. Or both.

I expected similar quality from the SDS100 and SDS200. I would just rather have a base/mobile type receiver if I’m going to go through the trouble of putting up a base antenna. I just don’t like the idea of connecting and disconnecting coax every time I leave and come home; not to mention the wear and tear on the radio antenna connection.

I do live out in the sticks, but not terribly far from the repeaters. However, there is quite a bit of topography and pine trees between me and them. I’m very near the Ouachita River, so my elevation is very low; I’m in somewhat of a hole. I have a similar issue with cell service at/around my house. Cell service is decent AT my house, but there are total dead zones at the bottoms of the hills around me until you come back up out of the hole.

downeydigs

I would suggest getting a splitter and running the Remtronix for UHF and 700/800, and buy a VHF High specific one for that band.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a splitter and a good way to set this up on the SDS100? I now have three antennas: the oem rubber duck, the Remtronix REM-820S 700/800 MHz SMA, and the Diamond RH77CA 144/400 MHz BNC. I assume I’d be good with the Remtronix and Diamond antennas, so I guess if only need a two way splitter. Both of these antennas are great, but I miss a ton of traffic depending on which one I’m using.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
what is RAS?

"Restricted Access to System". It's so unauthorized radios can't key up on the system even if they had the other necessary information.

Sometimes it can degrade scanner performance a little due to how the scanner has to process some of the transmissions but it doesn't make a system unmonitorable.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
RAS causes nightmares on some Capacity Plus, and Capacity Max systems. On conventional DMR, IP Site Connected Conventional DMR, and Connect Plus, RAS is not that big a headache. RAS is also a good way to block anyone from using an DMR radio to monitor said systems. Unless you have the same RAS set up on your XPR, you can't monitor the system. And if you find a way around RAS, they simply will flip Enhanced Security on.

Status
Not open for further replies.