Union Township Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyboy43

So I'm pretty new to the concept of trunking, but after reading through some of the threads for noobs, I think I've got the hang of things. However, for the life of me I can't get any action on the Union Township system. I've managed to setup the Union County system (which apparently uses the same EDACS system type) and while it's fairly quiet for the most part, I do hear some chatter every few minutes. I've also setup the State Police system which gets tons of chatter and while the system type is different, it does prove that the radio works fine and that I'm at least somewhat competent in my programming.

At this point I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My radio is a Uniden BC246T.

Thanks in advance!

SCANdal

Silent Key
When are people going to learn?

Just to make sure...

You've got the frequencies loaded in in the following order:

correct?

SCANdal

johnnyboy43

Thanks for the response.

Frequency removed, but for some reason it's still not working correctly.

After I removed that frequency, now the radio scans but every few minutes it stops on an ID and I get a blast of static. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

johnnyboy43

Am I the only one having this problem? Does anyone have any idea what could possibly be wrong? I can scan every township in Union country including the Union County system (which also uses EDACS) with no problems except for Union Township for some reason. I'm at a total loss - I've even used the Uniden software to import the entire configuration directly from the radio reference database and I get the same exact results.

If there's someone else in the area with a similar radio that can indeed scan Union Township, please help me out!

My radio is the Uniden BC246T. The frequencies and IDs are taken directly from the radio reference database. I've tried it both with frencency 06 and without. I have the system type set as EDACS Wide. I've also verified that the IDs are being input in the correct format. My result is always the same: the system scans and occassionally stops on an ID where I get just a blast of static or it stops on an ID with no audio and just a beeping tone.

It seems so simple yet I can't get this one system to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ers1121

I live less than 3 miles from Union, their system must be very low power because I barely pick them up. My brother-in-law is closer then I am, has enough radios & antennas to pick up Mars and also still has poor reception of Union.

ndesousa

New Talkgroup for Union Township EDACS?

Today I start picking up a new talkgroup that shoes up as ED 07-024. I do not see this on the Union Township WIKI page here at RR. From what I can tell from listening it seems to be a special detail of sorts. At first I thought it was a DPW talkgroup because they were addressing an access road issue but I also heard them calling out cars and license tags. Interested to see if anyone else has picked up on this? I am a regular listener to the township EDACs system and this is the first time I have picked it up.

ndesousa

Today I start picking up a new talkgroup that shoes up as ED 07-024. I do not see this on the Union Township WIKI page here at RR. From what I can tell from listening it seems to be a special detail of sorts. At first I thought it was a DPW talkgroup because they were addressing an access road issue but I also heard them calling out cars and license tags. Interested to see if anyone else has picked up on this? I am a regular listener to the township EDACs system and this is the first time I have picked it up.

Update: after hearing it more last night it appears to be Kean University Campus Police...not sure why this was added to the Township talkgroup other than they often coordinate activities.

joedisp

Premium Subscriber
Union Twp Trunking

I have them programed in the follwing order;

In EDAC Mode, I live within a 1/4 of the tower, I hear very talkgroup loud and clear.

Check your Mode Setting make sure its EDAC.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Update: after hearing it more last night it appears to be Kean University Campus Police...not sure why this was added to the Township talkgroup other than they often coordinate activities.

It is indeed Kean University. Makes perfect sense for them to be linked into the Township system, as Kean not only needs to interop with Union for incidents on campus, but Kean officers are state officers (not Troopers). They have patrol authority on Green Lane, North Avenue, and Morris Avenue. They also will respond to any incident where Union may need assistance in those areas, as well as any residence off-campus where Kean students are involved in or are subject of police activity.

Union Township operates fairly moderate power, but I am able to receive them as far west as Scotch Plains without any issues, 3-4 bars. Perhaps it's your location? Settings?

ndesousa

I live in town so no issues receving the signal. Last night I was not able to pick it up (went silent) so I am wondering if (a) it might have been some sort of error in having them on the EDACs system (b) a test of sorts or (c) a reserved talkgroup which they utilize for interop with Union Police...may have been a back to school special event where they required to be on the township EDACs. When Union Police/Fire interact with Kean police they generally do so through the PD/FD/EMS dispatch office via phone...adding a KEan talkgroup makes more sense because they can switch to when required.

lt307

Premium Subscriber
Union Pro-Voice

At 0755 Hrs.today there was a transmission on the Union Fire Department talk group requesting that dispatch switch up to the EMS digital Pro-Voice channel for a test. I did not hear the test come over any of the Union EDACS talk groups. Is this a new talk group that is part of the new Union County 700mhz system?

ndesousa

No sure...if they are testing the Pro-Voice Channel then there is no scanner available today that can monitor EDACS ProVoice Digital voice by itself...I believe the Union County 700 mhz system is seperate and distinct from this. I am not as profficient on this as others might be so would appreciate some more experienced members to comment.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Most modern scanners that follow EDACS systems will not even acknowledge a ProVoice transmission is occurring.

The new portables the officers are carrying are the mid-option P7300's, and those will do just about anything.

http://www.pspc.harris.com/Portable/P7300.asp\

They are Harris's answer to the APX7000

GM

Premium Subscriber
A few months ago I picked up a ProVoice transmission on TG 316 on the Township 800 MHz EDACS TRS (I believe it was that) on my RS Pro-92 (note: it did not decode, just showed that it was there with the raw audio sound). Maybe I'll have to make this a project of mine in the near future and see if anything more comes up when I'm in that area...

W2SJW

Database Admin
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.580 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Please do, because not many units newer than the '92' era will stop on the PV talkgroups.

Once you figure out some of the TG's, hopefully someone close enough with DSD can figure out who's using what (and if it's encrypted or not).

ndesousa

Well I programed the Union Project 25 frequencies into my Pro-164 today using the RR DB and while my scanner supports the frequency range I am not sure it can even decode Phase I...(anyone know if it can?). Anyway Union Township transmissions are still on the EDACs system and operating as usual. I am an avid listener and have not heard any transmissions today indicating active testing was occurring (by this I mean users indicating a switch to the pro 25 or pro voice system). I have also not heard any traffic on the programed 764-781.996875 MHz band. But then again I am not sure my low priced and somewhat outdated Pro-164 can handle that.Phase I...I doubt it from what I have read.

I have read all the posts on the RR related to Union County's Pro 25 project and everything I read indicates Phase I on the initial roll out with the vision to transition to Phase II. I believe there are scanners out there capable of handling Phase I but nothing for Phase II...at least not yet.

GM

Premium Subscriber
I can tell if it's encrypted by the raw audio sound. If it has the same exact type of sound on your website page (W2SJW - Home ProVoice raw mode) then it's not encrypted. If it has the ProVoice type of sound that has an open squelch mixed with it, then it's encrypted.

With the link posted above, it should be: http://www.pspc.harris.com/Portable/P7300.asp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.