United Airlines DMR Tier 3 DMR Trunked System

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
My understanding, from what @ChicagoRadio736 stated above, is that he had to manually program it into his SDS100/SDS200/BCD536HP scanners. Previously I tried programming this system into my SDS100 and it would not track, even if I was sitting next to O'Hare. It would be helpful if @ChicagoRadio736 can share with us his manual programming instructions, as Sentinel does not have any of this info. I feel that analyzing this system with the data acquired via DSD+ and tweaking it (with great help from @Wsjones) is a great way to spread the knowledge.
I'm sure he self-programmed with the information from the database and is reporting it as working on his scanners. The only thing I could see as needed to be changed is if the two frequencies that are "reported" are found to be in use, run the LCN Finder in the Analyze menu and see if an LCN can be detected which can only be done if voice traffic is detected. I don't use DSD, and not sure if the settings don't coincide with Uniden scanners. But, until a scanner user who's within close proximity reports a change needs to be made, I'd hold off. Besides @kevino was the database administrator who initiated the entry and would also run it past him too. Two users with scanners reporting it working might be a better judge if any changes need to be made.

I
477.0125: LCN 2129, 477.2125: LCN 2145, 477.3125: LCN 2153

What sites are these associated with I can run the LCN finder and see what happens. I work across the street from O'Hare in Rosemont. Site 1 or 2?

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
If it's trunking properly on 2 scanners, why does it need to be changed?
Scanners aren't dependent on the fine-tooth details, whereas programs like DSDPlus are, that's why they need to be updated. Also, the capture that @kbk777 provided showed additional frequencies on two sites, that if they aren't added into scanners could result in some missed communications.

My understanding, from what @ChicagoRadio736 stated above, is that he had to manually program it into his SDS100/SDS200/BCD536HP scanners. Previously I tried programming this system into my SDS100 and it would not track, even if I was sitting next to O'Hare. It would be helpful if @ChicagoRadio736 can share with us his manual programming instructions, as Sentinel does not have any of this info. I feel that analyzing this system with the data acquired via DSD+ and tweaking it (with great help from @Wsjones) is a great way to spread the knowledge.
Sentinel has a known issue where the database does not download/update Capacity Max systems, and thus do not show up in there as part of their weekly updates (something that others and I have brought up to @JoeBearcat in multiple threads), it is not a RadioReference problem, but a Uniden problem. That would explain the manual programming that @ChicagoRadio736 had to do.

That said, if it is manually programmed correctly into Sentinel, it will work just fine, although I've seen mention that some scanners don't like the 7-digit Radio/Talkgroup ID's, so make sure you're on the latest firmware in the scanner and it should work.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Scanners aren't dependent on the fine-tooth details, whereas programs like DSDPlus are, that's why they need to be updated. Also, the capture that @kbk777 provided showed additional frequencies on two sites, that if they aren't added into scanners could result in some missed communications.

Sentinel has a known issue where the database does not download/update Capacity Max systems, and thus do not show up in there as part of their weekly updates (something that others and I have brought up to @JoeBearcat in multiple threads), it is not a RadioReference problem, but a Uniden problem. That would explain the manual programming that @ChicagoRadio736 had to do.

That said, if it is manually programmed correctly into Sentinel, it will work just fine, although I've seen mention that some scanners don't like the 7-digit Radio/Talkgroup ID's, so make sure you're on the latest firmware in the scanner and it should work.
I understand what you're saying and suggested that the two "reported" missing frequencies be checked for activity and to document the proper LCN, I'm not sure what other changes would be needed since the system is being monitored by scanners without issues. I don't monitor the system regularly, but others do. I think the issue has more to do with self-programming via Sentinel or Proscan more than anything.

kbk777

Premium Subscriber
I understand what you're saying and suggested that the two "reported" missing frequencies be checked for activity and to document the proper LCN, I'm not sure what other changes would be needed since the system is being monitored by scanners without issues. I don't monitor the system regularly, but others do. I think the issue has more to do with self-programming via Sentinel or Proscan more than anything.
This is a good discussion, especially for a newbie like me who’s trying to gain that prerequisite knowledge so I can better understand this technology. I will modify my DSD+ configuration and report back. I am happy to dig deeper and help discover more systems. Thanks all!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
This is a good discussion, especially for a newbie like me who’s trying to gain that prerequisite knowledge so I can better understand this technology. I will modify my DSD+ configuration and report back. I am happy to dig deeper and help discover more systems. Thanks all!
I'm glad you found 2 missing frequencies, might be helpful if any conversations were being missed. Hopefully the LCN's can be confirmed and submitted. These types of systems have been causing issues since MotoTRBO was introduced on Uniden scanners.

I programmed the system down by me near Midway, and unfortunately can't get an accurate decode on it. I'm also getting a CON+ rest channel, so I'll be of no help.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
The information I submitted earlier this evening was the three missing frequencies, but also just a bit of housekeeping, correcting the System ID, Site ID's and fixing an incorrect License, along with other minor things. The proper LCN's were already documented in the system notes, they just weren't assigned to the correct sites, and the capture that @kbk777 shared back in the earlier message showed all three in use (DSDPlus logs by "Logical Slot Numbers" LSN's, and the LSN's when calculated match the "Logical Channel Numbers" LCN's that Uniden uses, hence why they can be considered verified. Since each frequency has 2 "slots" there are 2 LSN's for every 1 LCN. (meaning one frequency can carry two conversations, be them voice or data or control channel) at the same time.

Quick lesson on most Tier III systems, both Standard and Non-Standard (including Capacity Max) - These systems typically run a "bandplan" much like a P25 system does, but unlike a P25 system, that bandplan is not transmitted over the air (which is why you only need to program the control channels on a P25 system, since it gets the bandplan and can decode the rest), only the channel assignments for traffic. In Tier III terms, the channel assignments are sent as LSN's. The good news is that with a bit of math, once you match one or two frequencies to the LSN's that they use, you can calculate the bandplan, which will line up with all frequences.

In the case of this system, there is actually 2 bandplans, the first has a base frequency of 450.4125 (which is LSN 3 and 4, or LCN 1), the second is a base frequency of 460.0 (which again is LSN 3 and 4, or LCN 1). On both bandplans they are using 12.5KHz spacing between results, so LSN 5 and 6 or LCN 2 would be 450.425 and 460.0125 respectively.

Some people use a spreadsheet to lay out the bandplan once it's determined, others, like me use the DMR frequency calculator, which makes quick work of mapping the bandplan to what is being seen in DSDPlus.

When @kbk777 was monitoring Site 1, I observed a few entries as (see the highlighted part for the LSN's):

2024/04/15 15:39:46 Freq=476.337500 DCC=0 RAS Group call; TG=6730136 [[ORD AcftMove Ops] Aircraft Move Teams] Ch=4307 4s
2024/04/15 15:39:46 Freq=476.337500 DCC=0 RAS Group call; TG=6730111 [[ORD Zone 11?] Ramp: F Gates] Ch=4308 2s

Using my decoder, I was able to get the frequency, and since the LSN's received and LCN's that were already posted were consistent, I could submit it to RRDB as:

Code:
Site Frequency Table:

LCN       LSNs or CH IDs    Frequency    Color Code
2153   4307/4308        477.3125    0 ***ADD***

The same could be said for the two frequencies on Site 2:

2024/04/15 15:42:29 Freq=460.725000 DCC=0 RAS Group call; TG=6730141 [[ORD Cust Svc T5] Customer Service: Terminal 5] Ch=4259 7s
2024/04/15 15:42:29 Freq=460.725000 DCC=0 RAS Group call; TG=6730148 Ch=4260 24s
2024/04/15 15:47:02 Freq=460.725000 DCC=0 RAS Group call; TG=6730122 [[ORD Baggage 122] Baggage Operations] Ch=4291 2s
2024/04/15 15:47:02 Freq=460.725000 DCC=0 RAS Group call; TG=6730105 [[ORD Zone 5] Ramp: C Even Gates?] Ch=4292 2s

Which resulted in this being submitted:

Code:
Site Frequency Table:

2129   4259/4260        477.0125    0 ***ADD***
2145   4291/4292        477.2125    0 ***ADD***

I strongly believe in "quality not quantity", and I only submit data if I have a high confidence of its accuracy. Likewise how I submit it is formatted in a way that leaves little room for a misunderstanding by the fine database admins (based on many lessons learned). Scanners may give you functional data, but its tools like DSDPlus that give you the complete picture, and I have begun to rely on it more heavily in the past few years (I own 6 SDR Radios, so yes, it is a big deal for me), but still leverage my SDS100/200 for parts of assembling that big picture and verifying what I get.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The information I submitted earlier this evening was the three missing frequencies, but also just a bit of housekeeping, correcting the System ID, Site ID's and fixing an incorrect License, along with other minor things. The proper LCN's were already documented in the system notes, they just weren't assigned to the correct sites, and the capture that @kbk777 shared back in the earlier message showed all three in use (DSDPlus logs by "Logical Slot Numbers" LSN's, and the LSN's when calculated match the "Logical Channel Numbers" LCN's that Uniden uses, hence why they can be considered verified. Since each frequency has 2 "slots" there are 2 LSN's for every 1 LCN. (meaning one frequency can carry two conversations, be them voice or data or control channel) at the same time.

Quick lesson on most Tier III systems, both Standard and Non-Standard (including Capacity Max) - These systems typically run a "bandplan" much like a P25 system does, but unlike a P25 system, that bandplan is not transmitted over the air (which is why you only need to program the control channels on a P25 system, since it gets the bandplan and can decode the rest), only the channel assignments for traffic. In Tier III terms, the channel assignments are sent as LSN's. The good news is that with a bit of math, once you match one or two frequencies to the LSN's that they use, you can calculate the bandplan, which will line up with all frequences.

In the case of this system, there is actually 2 bandplans, the first has a base frequency of 450.4125 (which is LSN 3 and 4, or LCN 1), the second is a base frequency of 460.0 (which again is LSN 3 and 4, or LCN 1). On both bandplans they are using 12.5KHz spacing between results, so LSN 5 and 6 or LCN 2 would be 450.425 and 460.0125 respectively.

Some people use a spreadsheet to lay out the bandplan once it's determined, others, like me use the DMR frequency calculator, which makes quick work of mapping the bandplan to what is being seen in DSDPlus.

When @kbk777 was monitoring Site 1, I observed a few entries as (see the highlighted part for the LSN's):

Using my decoder, I was able to get the frequency, and since the LSN's received and LCN's that were already posted were consistent, I could submit it to RRDB as:

Code:
Site Frequency Table:

2153   4307/4308        477.3125    0 ***ADD***

The same could be said for the two frequencies on Site 2:

Which resulted in this being submitted:

Code:
Site Frequency Table:

2129   4259/4260        477.0125    0 ***ADD***
2145   4291/4292        477.2125    0 ***ADD***

I strongly believe in "quality not quantity", and I only submit data if I have a high confidence of its accuracy. Likewise how I submit it is formatted in a way that leaves little room for a misunderstanding by the fine database admins (based on many lessons learned). Scanners may give you functional data, but its tools like DSDPlus that give you the complete picture, and I have begun to rely on it more heavily in the past few years (I own 6 SDR Radios, so yes, it is a big deal for me), but still leverage my SDS100/200 for parts of assembling that big picture and verifying what I get.
I got all that again as I said, however with all due respect to your knowledge, I would prefer to have locals who monitor the system on a regular basis (one of which is a database administrator), verify prior to a submission is published. I'm aware of these systems, the challenges to getting it right. As I mentioned, a user who lives on the outskirts of O'Hare is reporting no issues with the database submission. As @kbk777 has reported, he has difficulty self-programming the system in his scanner, not because of the information, but unfamiliarity with the process to do so. I'm not challenging your knowledge or the DSD+ findings, but I'm aware of discrepancies at times between Uniden's LCN finder and DSD+. Since most here utilize scanners, that's where the focus should be. The two frequencies that were not listed will probably be added once it's verified with an LCN. Thanks for the information, and the capable Illinois folks can take it from here.