SDS100/SDS200: Unsure about this New Uniden SDS100 ....

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! ProScan is a drop in the bucket, so I might just give it a shot anyway. Just out of curiosity if you know off hand...does the "drag and drop" feature mentioned include the ability to create favorites lists via access to the RR database (kind of like in Sentinel), or do you have to manually enter everything?
I'm unfamiliar with that process, I only create my own utilizing database information. I'm personally not a fan of appending, avoiding sites and so on. Prefer the blank canvas to work from

K9RNW

Got it. Thank you. I'll see what other YouTube demonstrations I can find, and hopefully begin sorting this out.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
One great feature in Sentinel is the Add Channels on Range. It’s simple, Select service types. Select a ZIP code and Set a range, and it creates a favorite list based on that info.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
To be honest, this is precisely the kind of Stockholm Syndrome that modern day tech companies have cultivated. It never used to be this way, until these firms started getting lazy, and people just started accepting it. I agree, there is clearly no legal duty for Uniden or any other company to provide worthwhile tech support....but to argue there is no ethical turpitude (or at least be a subpar business practice) in not doing so, and blaming the consumer (buyers) for those failures is kind of wild IMHO. And, I don't know what isn't sinking in with my statement that when hardware and software come together to essentially form one product, that either the hardware or software being subpar equally impacts the value proposition of the other. Software is not "free" when a company lists it as an integral component/feature of the overall system the product provides, and especially when it is critical to the operation of the product (as it is here). Sentinel might "work", and I certainly do appreciate the guidance of those offering substantive advice, but I really don't understand your issue with my simple criticism of Uniden needing to do better in certain areas.
I am very familiar with the Stockholm Syndrome and your analogy falls apart almost instantly. No one is holding anyone hostage nor are they forced to buy a product. "Let the Buyer Beware" also known as the Latin phrase, "Caveat emptor" applies.

I believe the appropriate phase here would be "feeling entitled"

But you are absolutely able to have your opinion and I am able to have mine.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
The info comes from the Sentinel Database. Not from polling the sites/repeaters/control channels.
So then I can program my scanner with all the talkgroups and tags, but no site frequencies and it's going to give me audio on those talkgroups?

Harold

Premium Subscriber
No frequencies will guarantee no audio.
Then It needs to access the site and read the control channel to see if any of those talkgroups or tags are active. Then it will pass the audio through the scanners speakers.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You asked if you would have audio with just talkgroups and tags, and no site freqs. The answer is no. No freqs, no audio.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Then It needs to access the site and read the control channel to see if any of those talkgroups or tags are active. Then it will pass the audio through the scanners speakers.
Maybe it's semantics here... but it needs both the channel (talkgroup) grants from control channel and service tags from programming on scanner to determine if it's activity that should be monitored.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
It compares the service type associated with the tg id to determine if you will receive audio or not.

Hit_Factor

It compares the service type associated with the tg id to determine if you will receive audio or not.
Correct. However, it also works with conventional FREQS/systems.

There is more than just TG ID and service type data compared. Take a peek inside the Sentinel DB, you'll see the different datasets used.

MStep

Howdy y'all. I just purchased an SDS100 and started playing around with it. I entered my zip code for full-database zip-based scanning, which in the Chicago suburbs which should result in getting a good deal of "hits", but I am getting very little action. I tried swapping out the stock antenna for a Diamond RH77CA, and that didn't seem to improve things. I even took it on a car ride downtown, but nary a peep from Chicago Police Department. And, the analog reception for amateur bands seems...not as good as my 15 year old Radio Shack unit????

Another thing bugging me with this, is that it isn't as intuitive to so a straight scan of services. It is pretty easy to just scan either amateur, aircraft, marine, railroad, and GMRS/FRS/MURS, alone at one time by just using one physical button on the keypad. On the SDS100, it doesn't really seem like you can do that *easily*, but I'd l
Nothing to be unsure about with the SDS100 or 200 or any of the other Uniden scanners. The capabilities of the radio are practically limitless for all but the dreaded "E". I do believe that when Paul Opitz (RIP) provided his input and talents to designing the SDS series, he likely knew that his days were coming to an end and strove to pack as much scanner into a radio that was possible given that state of current technology. Others here have given great advice on getting up and running with the SDS.

My recommendation would be to put in as many systems in your area that you are interested in, turn on EVERY service type, set the location to the range to its maximum of 50 miles, and let the scanner do its job.

Then you can hone back on the systems and services as required. You might also look for someone in your area who also has an SDS100 so that you can get together and compare notes. In that way, you can also determine if your radio is operating as properly as it should.

As a guy who came up the chain from tunable receivers, to crystal-controlled units, and from the early Bearcat programmables and up to the current SDS series, and living here in the middle of a major metropolitan area (I'm one mile from the Empire State Building), I can attest to the fact that the SDS series operate as well as any scanner I have ever owned.

Best in your endeavors.

Hit_Factor

...My recommendation would be to put in as many systems in your area that you are interested in, turn on EVERY service type, set the location to the range to its maximum of 50 miles, and let the scanner do its job....
Is this advice for using a favorites list of location scanning?

That seems like a high value to me for location scanning. The scanner will try to monitor systems there is almost no possibility of hearing, resulting in missed transmissions. Additionally, there is latency switching between trunked systems, many transmissions will be missed. My recommendation is a range of zero, especially for someone operating in a metropolitan area. There are lots of threads on range settings, so I won't get into more details here.

As for service types, I recommend only turning on those of interest. For example, I have no desire at all to monitor public transportation or school buses.

Ubbe

I do believe that when Paul Opitz (RIP) provided his input and talents to designing the SDS series, he likely knew that his days were coming to an end and strove to pack as much scanner into a radio that was possible given that state of current technology.
Mr Opitz started to design more advanced scanners when he created the DMA type of scanner as in the BCT15. Then he added more digital features to the 996 series and after that he added even more features and functions to the 436/536 scanners. When he did the SDS series he copied everything from 436/536 and only added the interface to the SDR receiver to be able to get a I/Q demodulator to handle simulcast. The development of features where already done and paid for with the 436/536 series but the SDS series have a higher retail price so there's a huge profit margin from those scanners, as there's no competing scanners and the SDS100 where a modified Uniden marine radio. As long as SDS scanners sell so well at their high cost there's no need to release any new top of the line models. But it could be a market for a low cost simulcast P25 model.

/Ubbe

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Mr Opitz started to design more advanced scanners when he created the DMA type of scanner as in the BCT15. Then he added more digital features to the 996 series and after that he added even more features and functions to the 436/536 scanners. When he did the SDS series he copied everything from 436/536 and only added the interface to the SDR receiver to be able to get a I/Q demodulator to handle simulcast. The development of features where already done and paid for with the 436/536 series but the SDS series have a higher retail price so there's a huge profit margin from those scanners, as there's no competing scanners and the SDS100 where a modified Uniden marine radio. As long as SDS scanners sell so well at their high cost there's no need to release any new top of the line models. But it could be a market for a low cost simulcast P25 model.

/Ubbe

Actually the first DMA scanner was the analog only 246T not the BCT15.

MStep

Is this advice for using a favorites list of location scanning?

That seems like a high value to me for location scanning. The scanner will try to monitor systems there is almost no possibility of hearing, resulting in missed transmissions. Additionally, there is latency switching between trunked systems, many transmissions will be missed. My recommendation is a range of zero, especially for someone operating in a metropolitan area. There are lots of threads on range settings, so I won't get into more details here.

As for service types, I recommend only turning on those of interest. For example, I have no desire at all to monitor public transportation or school buses.
The OP's comment was that "I am getting very little action". He should load in the full database for his state (or states, if he is very close to an adjoining one) and go "full throttle". Forget about favorites lists, number keys, and other special setups. All service types should be ON. Rather than attempt to limit his reception to custom fit his area, he should first turn everything on and then hone down what he does not need. It's not a difficult concept.

Perhaps an analogy is in order. If you are filling your backyard pool, and you re not getting enough water, turn your spigots up full blast. When you finally get as much as you need to fill your pool, start cutting back to just the necessary amount. (It's only an analogy folks; I'm not talking about actual swimming pools, lest someone get bent out of shape.)

And the OP should get together with someone in his area with an SDS100 in order to eliminate the possibility of CSJ, programming anomalies, or other issues that could be affecting his reception.

As always, everyone has their own techniques, and as is often said, YMMV.

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The OP's comment was that "I am getting very little action". He should load in the full database for his state (or states, if he is very close to an adjoining one) and go "full throttle". Forget about favorites lists, number keys, and other special setups. All service types should be ON. Rather than attempt to limit his reception to custom fit his area, he should first turn everything on and then hone down what he does not need. It's not a difficult concept.

Perhaps an analogy is in order. If you are filling your backyard pool, and you re not getting enough water, turn your spigots up full blast. When you finally get as much as you need to fill your pool, start cutting back to just the necessary amount. (It's only an analogy folks; I'm not talking about actual swimming pools, lest someone get bent out of shape.)

And the OP should get together with someone in his area with an SDS100 in order to eliminate the possibility of CSJ, programming anomalies, or other issues that could be affecting his reception.

As always, everyone has their own techniques, and as is often said, YMMV.
Illinois Full Database programming would result in him spending more time deleting things than if he actually learned how to program himself, and only added what he wanted. The other issue is his location is surrounded by encrypted departments which I'm familiar with. During his travels, he didn't hear much because a majority of CPD is also encrypted. Illinois State Police with only the site(s) programmed within his range would be a first step. Only programming Troops 3 & 15 would be beneficial since they patrol on expressways and tollways within his area. Most fire departments are also open, so he could start there...from utilizing Starcom, Conventional P25 as well as analog. On a few occasions, I've had to rescue some friend's scanners from being tossed out the window because they programmed by zip codes and/or database method. I swooped in, wiped everything out, self-programmed and to this day, they are using their scanners and only monitoring what they want to hear.

JethrowJohnson

/Ubbe
@JoeBearcat hinted that Uniden was working on two new models now though.