Updated HP-1 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

I updated the mounting location of my HP-1. I originally had it on top of the dash with the RAM mount held with SuperLock strips. Original install here:
http://forums.radioreference.com/pi...ile-setup/283388-homepatrol-mobile-setup.html

Although not ideal, it worked initially. Now that the warm and much sunnier weather is here, I find that it was getting far too much sun and becoming quite warm. That was not the case in the winter. I remove the HP-1 when I am at work, but it still becomes very warm to the touch while driving home on a bright sunny day...even with the AC on. Of course running the AC does nothing to alleviate the sun beating through the windshield.

I decided that the best location would be to the right of the shifter console, so I loosened the trim around the radio/climate control stack, removed shifter face plate and partially disassembled the wrap around the shifter console to make sure that I would not drill into anything. The only thing I had to avoid was a feed for the passenger side airbags. That was at least two inches away and I was using short, heavy screws, so I was fine. Here is the updated finished product.
9ypenyne.jpg
sa6uny3a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dmg1969

Thanks both. I am considering finding a way to feed the coax behind the shifter console that the base of the RAM Mount is mounted to and out the bottom. It's the only unsightly part of this setup. Now that I know how the console comes apart, it should be fairly straightforward.

JTR604

HP-1 Install

Very nice job on your install, what type of antenna are you using ?
how well is it working on your hp-1.

dmg1969

I use a Hustler MOR-B mounted to a Comet lip mount toward the top of the driver's side of the rear hatch. Here's a link to a pic.

http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...er-mor-nmo-scanner-antenna-3.html#post2040557

It works well for what I scan. I scan VHF low (home county), some VHF high, UHF and a 453-502 MHz P-25 system. When my home county eventually switches to their VHF high system, I will likely switch to a Larsen tri-band.

dmg1969

Thanks, Kevin. They're just Radio Shack. I used them in my original setup and they didn't hold all that well. I decided to use what I had left since they will be out of the direct sun. Hopefully they'll hold better. If not, and even if they do, I may still feed the coax behind the console just to clean up the look. Need to look for an appropriate grommet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tumegpc

Nice Install ! The advantages of a HP-1 installed on a Ram Mount is that you can mount it anywhere to meet your needs. And another plus is that you can easily take the HP-1 with you. This was not the case when I had my Pro-197 in-dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.