Pro-668: Upgrade options explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TA2AAK

Hello all,
I upgraded my Pro-668 to Whistler-1080 without any problems few months ago and was able to decode DMR's until yesterday. I accidently updgraded CPU from unknown version (maybe 3.8 or 4.4) to 4.6 and now DMR's can't be listened. Software says DSP is installed. Later I tried to downgrade to lower versions and even to convert to Pro-668 but no chance. I tried with different PC's, cables. Is there anyting I can do?
When CPU is trying to update, screen changes to standby screen (time charge etc..) or it stucks at upgrading and I have these screens in attachment
Thanks

Attachments

• whistler.jpg
    whistler.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 422

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Hello all,
I upgraded my Pro-668 to Whistler-1080 without any problems few months ago and was able to decode DMR's until yesterday. I accidently updgraded CPU from unknown version (maybe 3.8 or 4.4) to 4.6 and now DMR's can't be listened. Software says DSP is installed. Later I tried to downgrade to lower versions and even to convert to Pro-668 but no chance. I tried with different PC's, cables. Is there anyting I can do?
When CPU is trying to update, screen changes to standby screen (time charge etc..) or it stucks at upgrading and I have these screens in attachment
Thanks

Fortunately this can be corrected. For $89.95 Whistler can make your radio a legitimate WS-1080.

Fasteddy2

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
Thanks
You have been zapped welcome to the club...$90 club

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
Thanks

You could have just CHECKED to see what firmware it was on and STOPPED. You have now "LOCKED" your scanner from being easily updated and as other have said the repair via whistler will cost you $89.95 plus shipping and you will be without the scanner for a couple weeks.

This repair was just announced yesterday, it involves replacing the logic board and updating the scanner to OFFICIALLY be a ws1080 that you can do all future updates via ezscan.

Whistler is also offering $120 flat rate repair service for these scanners.

TA2AAK

This means I will use it as an analog scanner with auto record capabilities. It will be enough for some years :) Thanks for help

After talking to Whistler they will upgrade the PRO668 that his been hacked for 59.99. If it is locked then they will have to change the board.

Last edited:

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
This means I will use it as an analog scanner with auto record capabilities. It will be enough for some years :) Thanks for help

NOT true, You can still receive digital, you only loose DMR, you will still get P25 1 and 2. so it is still more then a analog scanner.

JustLou

You didn't lose any of the scanner's digital capabilities other than DMR. It still performs as it did with the original Radios Shack firmware.

J

jlmaddencc

You lose the ability to get Service or Support unless you pay their extra fee, that they caused on 3 Scanner model willingly and knowingly in bad faith, even a penny more could be breaking the law in some states, let alone the laws they broke when they made the announcement via a telecommunication channel, not to mention each time they repeated the new policy by phone - which could be considered an individual charge per time vocalized via the telephone.

fredva

Feed Provider
You didn't lose any of the scanner's digital capabilities other than DMR. It still performs as it did with the original Radios Shack firmware.

The poster is from outside the US though. There is a possibility his area doesn't have any P25. I can't say for sure.

MichaelBhere

After talking to Whistler they will upgrade the PRO668 that his been hacked for 59.99. If it is locked then they will have to change the board.

If it was locked, the cost to upgrade was posted at $89.99.

Only units that are not locked and are in otherwise good working condition are eligible for the $59.99 upgrade.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
change the board. ha ha ha bull sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hello,

No BS. Whistler's code disabled the firmware update in the bootloader enough that the only way to fix it is a board swap or board rework.

$30 additional seems more than reasonable for a board swap. The CPU and DSP alone add up to about that in single quantities. It may reflect the standard cost of the new board minus the core value of the old board.

Whistler could have refused to service locked scanners, or considered it a $120 level repair.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.