BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Uploading scanner to Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

relay99

Premium Subscriber
I accidentally deleted a few favorite lists on PC but thought no problem, just upload to PC from scanner. Every favorite list was prompted in Sentinel that the scanner & PC were different. Well very well could be. After rechecking versions, firmware and loading current database just for the heck of it I tried to upload back to PC to see what happens. Same thing, get prompted that the two are different. Both PC and scanner have identical databases & favorite lists. Why do I keep getting prompted that they are different? I rechecked again and found both PC & scanner identical. There are choices on prompt to skip the favorite list your on or all of them if you want but I'm not sure why this happens. All is working fine but I think sofware may just do this by default. Can anyone explain or have the same problem?

rwier

"... I rechecked again and found both PC & scanner identical ..."

Just curious how you do that. I have about 25 FLs in my 536. These contain hundreds of Sites, thousands of Frequencies, and thousands of Channels/TGs. After saving to the radio (deleting FLs) I would believe that the scanner and the computer were identical. I could then drill down deep in the scanner and avoid a few random Sites, TGs, Frequencies, and change a few volume settings, alert tones, color alerts, etc. To compare the new data in the scanner to that in the computer (find my changes) would take someone years to complete without error.

Also, if I downloaded the data in my scanner to the computer and selected override the computer, I would assume the scanner and computer were the same.

relay99

Premium Subscriber
Example

Try this.......keep it simple, start completely fresh both scanner and PC and download just one simple system to a favorite list on PC and download to scanner. Both should be the same or identical between the two for text, frequency , ID's, tags and other data so check both the best you know how. Now try to upload scanner back to PC and it will prompt you that they are not the same..........why......... I would think that they both should be the same, no?
Your point I get with 26 favorite lists with thousands of frequencies and other data and I also get your point with trying to compare to see if they are identical and that would be extremely difficult and take a long time if not impossible but try something very basic or simple and I think you will also ask yourself why Sentinel prompts you that between scanner and PC that the one and only favorite list for this simple experiment is different. I'm just curious as to why............is it just a default prompt in Sentinel ?

relay99

Premium Subscriber
Another thing

BTW, the dialogue box that opens (prompt) that says that they are different allows a few choices you can make to continue, one being skip, but if they are the same why the prompt? That's all just curious myself.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There are a number of reasons why a seeminly identical Favorites List in a scanner is perceived as different by Sentinel. You could have Avoided something, turned a quick key on or off, etc.

So when Sentinel reads your scanner, it will detect those changes. I think (and will yield to those with greater knowledge) that Sentinel looks at the date/time stamp of the FL on the scanner and compares it to the data/time stamp on the Sentinel file. If there is a difference, then you are asked what you want to do about this perceived change.

rwier

BTW, the dialogue box that opens (prompt) that says that they are different allows a few choices you can make to continue, one being skip, but if they are the same why the prompt? That's all just curious myself.

Okey, I will perform a simple test to see if I can duplicate your perceived problem.

1) I connect my HP-1 to my computer and turn on the Hp-1. The scanner screen comes to life indicating that the scanner is in the USB Mass Storage mode.

2) I open Sentinel for the HP-1. It opens in my Profile named "Primary Profile". This is my "working" Profile. I have other Profiles for backups.

3) I go immediately to HomePatrol>Write to HomePatrol. A pop-up window shows that I am connected to Drive F: Uniden HomePatrol-1

4) I select ( check) BOTH "Write options". This ensures that what will be in the scanner is the same as what is now in my "Primary Profile". I select "OK". A warning pops up. I select "OK". This ensures me that the "write" will be deposited in the scanner on a "clean slate".

5) Sentinel writes to the HP-1. This is a large write and takes about three minutes. When finished a pop-up window acknowledges the completion, and I select "OK".

At this time I DO NOT pull the cable and I Do Not begin scanning. Almost anything you do after "pulling" the cable may be recognized by Sentinel as a "change" in data.

6) I go to HomePatrol>Read from HomePatrol. A pop-up window shows that I am connected to Drive F: Uniden HomePatrol-1.

7) I select "OK". A pop-up window appears instantly, indicating completion of the "Read" and indicating (to me) that the "Primary Profile" in Sentinel is EXACTLY the same as the "Primary Profile" in Sentinel. I select "OK". I am returned to the Primary Profile main screen.

Last edited:

relay99

Premium Subscriber
Percieved Problem

I never thought there was a problem ! Scanner and software for me work very well and I'm curious all the time with how and why things work that I may come across. I did not set out , maybe like many others , to whine or complain or declare a problem. I'm glad to see the steps and time you took to try and duplicate a situation that I was curious about and am now even more curious to duplicate the same results you had. I did not get as deep or methodical as you have and I may have inadvertently unplugged a cable or relaunched Sentinel or possibly some other action that would detect a difference with the software between scanner and PC. It will be fun to experiment a little more. Let's just say that I have some "Alternative Facts" to look in to!! Hahaha!

rwier

7) Should be:

7) I select "OK". A pop-up window appears instantly, indicating completion of the "Read" and indicating (to me) that the "Primary Profile" in Sentinel is EXACTLY the same as the "Primary Profile" in the HP-1. I select "OK". I am returned to the Primary Profile main screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.