USB rant

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Excuse the rant, but I hate the non-standardization of USB connectors, even among consumer manufacturers. A, B, Mini, Micro A, Micro B, C, data, power, data/power, etc. ARGGH!

susanpowter_stoptheinsanity.jpg

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have a zillion USB to xyz connector cables and hesitate to throw any one of them away.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
Excuse the rant, but I hate the non-standardization of USB connectors, even among consumer manufacturers. A, B, Mini, Micro A, Micro B, C, data, power, data/power, etc. ARGGH!

Not meaning to raise your blood pressure but, how about Barrel Power Connectors?

BinaryMode

Yeah, the standards are off the chart stupid. Me thinks it's a money thing and marketing... Because you generally only get this kind of stupidity with Congress and their ideas, ya know? I mean the government at large and all the red tape/bureaucracy stuff...

Anyway...

kittrav

Premium Subscriber
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from."
Often attributed to computer scientist Andrew S. Tanenbaum

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber

I feel for you.... I really liked the backwards compatibility with some of the USB connectors and arrangements, but they are starting to fall apart again. Just in the past two weeks, my son needed a cell charging cord that was "firewire" or something, and my wife brought the wrong charging cable to work for her cell phone....

It looked like USB Micro would be the standard for little while, but it fell apart after a few years.

I could barely tolerate the 'C' standard change.

But looking back, all of this still beats the multiple standards that each cell phone brand had in the past.

At least USB 'C' can have a certain amount of backwards compatibility, with high charging rates 'negotiated' :) with the cable.

Thanks
Joel

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
But looking back, all of this still beats the multiple standards that each cell phone brand had in the past.

I think a lot of people have forgotten about this. Every phone had a different charging cord, and there was no USB, so each cord had a cigarette lighter plug on the end, and they weren't cheap. There were rarely options to buy them from anyone but the phone manufacturer, so more $$$.

But I agree, the USB thing is still out of control. At least there are fewer combinations needed.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
USB-C is now a European standard.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

radar_hunter

I think a lot of people have forgotten about this. Every phone had a different charging cord, and there was no USB, so each cord had a cigarette lighter plug on the end, and they weren't cheap. There were rarely options to buy them from anyone but the phone manufacturer, so more $$$.

But I agree, the USB thing is still out of control. At least there are fewer combinations needed.

The mini and micro USB versions will likely die out thanks to type C. Large type A will likely stay in computers, not sure about B.

Personally, I don't like the type C very much. It doesn't hold in place and it gets full of dust and dirt easily. I wonder how many phones are thrown away because the USB C port "doesn't work" even though it could be fixed by cleaning it with a small tool.

Mini USB (mini B) tends to develop connection problems quite fast according to my experience.

I've had many connection issues with large A as well.

Micro USB has never given me problems, but my experience is limited and I try to handle them carefully due to their fragile appearance.

Large B holds very nicely, it just doesn't fit into small devices.

One more annoyance - there are different A, B and micro versions for USB 3 because of the increased power requirement. Type C resolved this issue.

Barrel connectors are anything but standardized, and I remember that phone charging connectors were also pretty horrible back in the heydays of Nokia and Ericsson.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
The only reason I don't object too much is that they are using the Type C (I think) on newer lower powered laptops.... as I said before though, I think the cable has to do the negotiation on power, which means the connector would be more standardized, but the cables now become non-standard?:(

Thanks
Joel

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The only reason I don't object too much is that they are using the Type C (I think) on newer lower powered laptops.... as I said before though, I think the cable has to do the negotiation on power, which means the connector would be more standardized, but the cables now become non-standard?:(

Thanks
Joel

I don't think the cables are any different.

I primarily use a Mac laptop. That has USB-C for everything, including charging the laptop. It negotiates power no problem no matter what cable I use.
For quite a while, I used a Sonim XP8 phone that had USB-C. Same thing, would negotiate power, no special cable.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I don't think the cables are any different.

I primarily use a Mac laptop. That has USB-C for everything, including charging the laptop. It negotiates power no problem no matter what cable I use.
For quite a while, I used a Sonim XP8 phone that had USB-C. Same thing, would negotiate power, no special cable.
I just read up on it a little to try and get up to speed, apparently USB-C can support all kinds of stuff, but, the cable has to be rated for it (speeds and power levels) so although the cable connectors might be the same, everyone is going to have to start reading the fine print on about a cable that is being bought (if you want the most speed).
Like the USB connector, with some cables, can deliver 240 watts. I'm pretty sure my really cheap charging cables will have an issue with that kind of power.

Still a little shaky on the standards though, like the numbered references USB 2 and USB 3 standard, vs USB-C... its just like they through USB in front of everything.
:)
Thanks
Joel

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Still a little shaky on the standards though, like the numbered references USB 2 and USB 3 standard, vs USB-C... its just like they through USB in front of everything.
:)
Thanks
Joel
USB 2.x & 3.x have to do with data direction, speed & power capabilities. The A, B, C, mini, & micro, are about the connector.

USB 3.0 was introduced with the micro style connectors, with an added sub connector.