USB Sound Cards under Linux - recommendations needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8YX

This is somewhat complex but may help others who are considering doing same:

I have an i7-3770S-based "signage" PC (Shuttle DS61) that I installed the latest Linux Mint 19.x on. It also has VirtualBox and a number of VMs which are used to run various scanner control software packages. The PC has two serial ports, so two scanners may be run concurrently. An Optocom and a DSP-equipped PCR-1000 just happen to be laying around so I'll press those into service.

Thoughts are to use this system in one of two ways: With a compact mouse, keyboard and display I can turn the setup into a traveling road show and run the various controller programs in local GUI mode. The other approach is to use it as a headless server and utilize X forwarding to bring all the programs to wherever I am.

To that end, I installed Icecast and Darkice. One must add the logged-in user to the "audio" group in order to get the audio services started while in non-local/non-GUI mode, but I got the onboard audio input streaming radio output without a problem.

The gotcha come into play when I want to use utilities like DSDecode or similar programs which process discriminator output. I may opt for the use of the PC's internal sound card when doing this, or I may want to employ a decent USB sound card. If I were setting this up at home I'd probably opt for a Focusrite but need a solution which is slightly more portable.

I had a Vention CHD-series USB Audio dongle laying around for test purposes and while the OS sees it (via the "arecord -l" output), Darkice cannot open the device channels when it's selected. Note that the onboard audio device works fine, as mentioned above.

So a question to the board at large: Has anyone gotten a USB Audio device to be recognized and work with Darkice on Linux...and if so, which product are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.